Old 09-02-2012, 12:23 AM

Default errors with mplayer and mp3 files

Hi. I am using unstable gentoo and using mplayer at the text console.
When playing an mp3 file, I often get the following error:
mpg123 decoding failed: No stream opened. (code 24)

Any ideas on what causes this and/or how to fix? It would be nice not
to depend on mpg123 at all -- is this possible?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

How do
you spend it?

John Covici
covici@ccs.covici.com

Old 09-02-2012, 09:20 AM
Nikos Chantziaras

Hi. I am using unstable gentoo and using mplayer at the text console.
When playing an mp3 file, I often get the following error:
mpg123 decoding failed: No stream opened. (code 24)

Any ideas on what causes this and/or how to fix? It would be nice not
to depend on mpg123 at all -- is this possible?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Try enabling the "mad" USE flag for mplayer. This should then use
libmad for MP3 decoding. I think.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:47 AM

Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 02/09/12 03:23, covici@ccs.covici.com wrote:
> > Hi. I am using unstable gentoo and using mplayer at the text console.
> > When playing an mp3 file, I often get the following error:
> > mpg123 decoding failed: No stream opened. (code 24)
> >
> > Any ideas on what causes this and/or how to fix? It would be nice not
> > to depend on mpg123 at all -- is this possible?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
>
> Try enabling the "mad" USE flag for mplayer. This should then use
> libmad for MP3 decoding. I think.

Thanks for your response -- mad is already enabled, but mpg123 is being
used.

How do
you spend it?

John Covici
covici@ccs.covici.com

Old 09-02-2012, 10:06 AM
Nikos Chantziaras

Hi. I am using unstable gentoo and using mplayer at the text console.
When playing an mp3 file, I often get the following error:
mpg123 decoding failed: No stream opened. (code 24)

Any ideas on what causes this and/or how to fix? It would be nice not
to depend on mpg123 at all -- is this possible?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Try enabling the "mad" USE flag for mplayer. This should then use
libmad for MP3 decoding. I think.

Thanks for your response -- mad is already enabled, but mpg123 is being
used.

It seems mplayer pulls mpg123 as a dep:

$ emerge -pv --depclean media-sound/mpg123
Calculating dependencies... done!
media-sound/mpg123-1.14.3 pulled in by:
media-video/mplayer2-9999

Looking at the ebuild, it indeed does:

mp3? ( media-sound/mpg123 )

I don't know why it's possible to enable both "mad" as well as "mp3".
The solution is simple. Use "mad -mp3" as USE flags for mplayer. I
just did the same and mplayer now only uses libmad to play MP3s.

If no other package depends on mpg123 on your system, you can now delete
it. "emerge -a --depclean" will take care of it.

Old 09-02-2012, 10:23 AM
Marc Joliet

Am Sun, 02 Sep 2012 05:47:07 -0400
schrieb covici@ccs.covici.com:

> Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On 02/09/12 03:23, covici@ccs.covici.com wrote:
> > > Hi. I am using unstable gentoo and using mplayer at the text console.
> > > When playing an mp3 file, I often get the following error:
> > > mpg123 decoding failed: No stream opened. (code 24)
> > >
> > > Any ideas on what causes this and/or how to fix? It would be nice not
> > > to depend on mpg123 at all -- is this possible?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
> >
> > Try enabling the "mad" USE flag for mplayer. This should then use
> > libmad for MP3 decoding. I think.
>
> Thanks for your response -- mad is already enabled, but mpg123 is being
> used.

I happen to have also had vaguely similar problems. Here is what is in my
mplayer config (I use mplayer2 though):

# mplayer2 stupidly tries to use the bundled mp3lib, which Gentoo removes
[extension.mp3]
afm=mpg123

But the same principle can be used to force mplayer to use libmad, to see if
that works. Or maybe mplayer1 also has the same problem as mplayer2 now?

HTH
--
Marc Joliet
don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup

Old 09-02-2012, 03:39 PM

Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 02/09/12 12:47, covici@ccs.covici.com wrote:
> > Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Try enabling the "mad" USE flag for mplayer. This should then use
> >> libmad for MP3 decoding. I think.
> >
> > Thanks for your response -- mad is already enabled, but mpg123 is being
> > used.
>
> It seems mplayer pulls mpg123 as a dep:
>
> $ emerge -pv --depclean media-sound/mpg123
> Calculating dependencies... done!
> media-sound/mpg123-1.14.3 pulled in by:
> media-video/mplayer2-9999
>
> Looking at the ebuild, it indeed does:
>
> mp3? ( media-sound/mpg123 )
>
> I don't know why it's possible to enable both "mad" as well as
> "mp3". The solution is simple. Use "mad -mp3" as USE flags for
> mplayer. I just did the same and mplayer now only uses libmad to play
> MP3s.
>
> If no other package depends on mpg123 on your system, you can now
> delete it. "emerge -a --depclean" will take care of it.

Thanks much -- it seems to be working now. I had never heard of the
mad before -- learn something new every day. This list is very nice and
helpful.

How do
you spend it?

John Covici
covici@ccs.covici.com

Old 09-03-2012, 04:08 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

The solution is simple. Use "mad -mp3" as USE flags for
mplayer. I just did the same and mplayer now only uses libmad to play
MP3s.
[...]

Thanks much -- it seems to be working now. I had never heard of the
mad before -- learn something new every day. This list is very nice and
helpful.

The MAD decoder was actually always well known for its very high
accuracy in decoding. But I suppose other decoders finally catched up
to it, so these days I suppose mpg123 might offer the same quality as
MAD. Not that anyone tested though (as far as I'm aware.)