FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-30-2012, 06:25 PM
James
 
Default SAR vs collectl

Hello,

With some admin tasks, I have used SAR some years ago.
Discovering it is not in portage, I started looking for
options (overlay, sources, etc).

I ran across this system monitoring tool in portage:

sys-apps/collectl


Is SAR quickly available for Gentoo (an overlay I missed)?
Is there a better (more robust/graphical/etc) package
to use in lieu of SAR?

Has anyone got an opinion, based on experience, about
"collectl" ?

Tia,
James

[1] http://collectl.sourceforge.net/Features.html
 
Old 08-30-2012, 06:47 PM
 
Default SAR vs collectl

James <wireless@tampabay.rr.com> writes:

> Is SAR quickly available for Gentoo (an overlay I missed)?
> Is there a better (more robust/graphical/etc) package
> to use in lieu of SAR?
>

sar is in app-admin/sysstat

--
Christer
 
Old 08-30-2012, 06:56 PM
Carlos Hendson
 
Default SAR vs collectl

On Thu, 2012-08-30 at 18:25 +0000, James wrote:
> Is SAR quickly available for Gentoo (an overlay I missed)?


hydra ~ # which sar
/usr/bin/sar
hydra ~ # equery belongs /usr/bin/sar
* Searching for /usr/bin/sar ...
app-admin/sysstat-10.0.5 (/usr/bin/sar)
hydra ~ #


Hope that helps,
Carlos
 
Old 08-31-2012, 02:50 PM
James
 
Default SAR vs collectl

Carlos Hendson <skyclan <at> gmx.net> writes:


> > Is SAR quickly available for Gentoo (an overlay I missed)?

> hydra ~ # which sar
> /usr/bin/sar
> hydra ~ # equery belongs /usr/bin/sar
> * Searching for /usr/bin/sar ...
> app-admin/sysstat-10.0.5 (/usr/bin/sar)
> hydra ~ #

my bad......

Got any syntax that would allow me to know that "sar" was
in sysstat?
equery belongs /usr/bin/sar returns a blank line for me....

thx,

James
 
Old 08-31-2012, 06:44 PM
Carlos Hendson
 
Default SAR vs collectl

On Fri, 2012-08-31 at 14:50 +0000, James wrote:
> my bad......

No, not your bad. I was in the same boat as you when I wanted to
install sar. I found the gentoo package name on the web.

Sorry if my previous post suggested the executed commands would have
found the package name for sar on a system which didn't already have it
installed.

> Got any syntax that would allow me to know that "sar" was
> in sysstat?
> equery belongs /usr/bin/sar returns a blank line for me....

As you discovered "equery belongs <file name>" only returns results for
installed packages which own "filename".

I'm not aware of any tool that will tell you what files a package will
create/own before it's built and installed on the system.

It would be nice if there was some sort of online database that could be
queried for such information. Something like how the equery tool
functions but online instead of locally.

Regards,
Carlos
 
Old 08-31-2012, 07:53 PM
Neil Bothwick
 
Default SAR vs collectl

On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 20:44:23 +0200, Carlos Hendson wrote:

> I'm not aware of any tool that will tell you what files a package will
> create/own before it's built and installed on the system.
>
> It would be nice if there was some sort of online database that could be
> queried for such information. Something like how the equery tool
> functions but online instead of locally.

http://www.portagefilelist.de/


--
Neil Bothwick

If you think that there is good in everybody, you haven't met everybody.
 
Old 08-31-2012, 08:10 PM
Dale
 
Default SAR vs collectl

Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 20:44:23 +0200, Carlos Hendson wrote:
>
>> I'm not aware of any tool that will tell you what files a package will
>> create/own before it's built and installed on the system.
>>
>> It would be nice if there was some sort of online database that could be
>> queried for such information. Something like how the equery tool
>> functions but online instead of locally.
> http://www.portagefilelist.de/
>
>


Yep, that site works nicely. I have had a couple times it didn't have a
file in its database but most of the time, it is in there. Great site.

To everyone reading this, you can install app-portage/pfl and set it up
in a cron to send the results once a week. I do that here to help keep
the database up to date since I update pretty often. Sort of return the
favor. This is especially true if you run some rarely used programs.

Dale

:-) :-)

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!
 
Old 09-01-2012, 11:58 AM
Mark Seger
 
Default SAR vs collectl

I just discovered the conversation about collectl and saw in a list archive and thought I'd jump in.When I first wrote collectl over 10 years ago the we felt we needed a more powerful/flexible tool than sar to work with out High Performance customers at HP. *For example, we needed to record a lot more types of information than sar such as Infiniband and Lustre File System statistics. *How about impi data such as temperatures or fan speeds? *Power consumption? *Anybody remember Quadrics interconnect? *Collectl does that too, but there's a whole lot more to collectl than just types of data it collects.

Rather than repeating what's on the website -*http://collectl.sourceforge.net/, you can read some of the features yourselves. *Suffice it to say it runs on some of the worlds largest clusters, sampling hundreds of data points every 10 seconds while using < 0.1% of a CPU.

But even more are 2 utilities that make it even more useful -*http://collectl-utils.sourceforge.net/. *colplot lets you produce high resolution plot for dozens (or more) of nodes via a browser. *colmux allows you to monitor hundreds of nodes in real-time from a single window, much like top. *but unlike top which only shows top processes, colmux can do that as well as show top-anything! *at least anything collectl can report. *for example, if you had dozens of servers, each with dozens of disks, you can use colmux to find the disks with the longest wait time. *or how about the systems with the highest temps?

anyhow, see for yourself and check it out.
-mark
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:21 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org