Old 08-30-2012, 01:29 AM
Bill Kenworthy

Default mdev and lxde

I am installing a new system and would like to go udev/systemd less.

I have dumped gnome3 for lxde and find it a lot more usable and stable
but I would like to know if anyone has gone down the mdev and lxde path?

BillK

Old 08-30-2012, 07:45 PM
"Walter Dnes"

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 09:29:49AM +0800, Bill Kenworthy wrote
> I am installing a new system and would like to go udev/systemd less.
>
> I have dumped gnome3 for lxde and find it a lot more usable and stable
> but I would like to know if anyone has gone down the mdev and lxde path?

I use ICEWM (see my sig), but testing for lxde on my system is
relatively simple. Note all the ebuild subdirectories in
/usr/portage/lxde-base To build all of these, I have to unmask dbus,
and add the "lxde" flag for x11-misc/obconf. I.e...

USE="lxde policykit" emerge -pv lxappearance lxde-common lxde-icon-theme lxde-meta lxdm lxinput lxlauncher lxmenu-data lxpanel lxpolkit lxrandr lxsession lxsession-edit lxshortcut lxtask lxterminal menu-cache

...shows (on my machine)...
Total: 39 packages (39 new), Size of downloads: 19,718 kB

If you don't mind dbus, you should be OK without udev. dbus is
required by lxpolkit and lxdm. I don't know if lxde will function
without lxpolkit and lxdm, but they didn't get pulled in, when I ran...

USE="lxde" emerge -pv lxappearance lxde-common lxde-icon-theme lxde-meta lxinput lxlauncher lxmenu-data lxpanel lxrandr lxsession lxsession-edit lxshortcut lxtask lxterminal menu-cache

...shows (on my machine)...
Total: 33 packages (33 new), Size of downloads: 15,149 kB

Check on an lxde forum if you want further info on whether lxpolkit
and lxdm are really required for lxde.

BTW, Google's Chrome/Chromium "browser" wants udev and dbus. dbus is
an absolute must. I think you can get away with putting udev in
package.provided. Apparently, it's only needed for gamepad support.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>