Old 08-29-2012, 02:13 PM
Joshua Murphy

Default Lightweight server distro for an old motherboard

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 9:24 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 11:41:54 +0800
> Andrew Lowe <agl@wht.com.au> wrote:
>
>> On 08/29/12 11:35, Michael Mol wrote:

<snip>
> There's also DamnSmallLinux but if you ask me that's going too far to
> the other extreme. Yeah, it fits inside 50M but cripes, it has to use
> weird package management to do it.
>
> If not FreeBSD, then something Arch-based is probably your best step 1.
> Arch is a bit like *buntu in many ways, once you've decided to go that
> route, there's not really much difference between all the variants.
> It's not the base that's resource heavy, it's KDE and Gnome.
>

> --
> Alan McKinnon
> alan.mckinnon@gmail.com

Although, if DSL *isn't* too far in the tiny direction, it's a bit
much of a desktop oriented system to tweak for headless use, when a
large part of that work was already done... TinyCore and MicroCore are
pretty much a bare minimal desktop and a bare minimal CLI only setup,
respectively, though they have very similar packaging setups to DSL.

--
Poison [BLX]
Joshua M. Murphy

Old 08-30-2012, 06:16 PM
James

Andrew Lowe <agl <at> wht.com.au> writes:

> Anyone got any suggestions for a lightweight server distro for an old
> motherboard? I've got one of the VIA mini-ITX boards, SP13000, and want
> to whack something light onto it. It will be working as a file/media
> server and will be headless, hence will be fiddled via ssh. Obviously
> there are the usual suspects, debian, centos, but does anyone have any
> recommendations viv a vis a stripped down distro, sort of like Lubuntu
> is to Ubuntu?

embedded gentoo is way cool! and very cutting edge.

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/embedded/handbook/

gentoo-embedded@lists.gentoo.org
is where to join and post your questions.

Otherwise, for performance reasons, I'd go with open-embedded.

hth,
James

Old 08-30-2012, 06:37 PM
Andrew Lowe

Andrew Lowe <agl <at> wht.com.au> writes:

Anyone got any suggestions for a lightweight server distro for an old
motherboard? I've got one of the VIA mini-ITX boards, SP13000, and want
to whack something light onto it. It will be working as a file/media
server and will be headless, hence will be fiddled via ssh. Obviously
there are the usual suspects, debian, centos, but does anyone have any
recommendations viv a vis a stripped down distro, sort of like Lubuntu
is to Ubuntu?

embedded gentoo is way cool! and very cutting edge.

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/embedded/handbook/

gentoo-embedded@lists.gentoo.org
is where to join and post your questions.

Otherwise, for performance reasons, I'd go with open-embedded.

hth,
James

Thanks all for the suggestions. I ended up caving and going Gentoo
again. I remembered that the original install, which took ages to
"emerge world", had freevo, mysql, X, subversion and a lot of other
stuff. This time it's just nzbget and file serving. The thought of
"learning" another distro also didn't exactly excite me so it was back
to familiar territory.

Andrew