-   -   hdparm + Western Digital Green "idle3" (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/697626-hdparm-western-digital-green-idle3.html)

Florian Philipp 08-25-2012 12:55 PM

hdparm + Western Digital Green "idle3"

I've just checked out the man page for hdparm. There I noticed the
new -J switch. It reads:

> Get/set the Western Digital (WD) Green Drive's "idle3" timeout
> value. This timeout controls how often the drive parks its heads and
> enters a low power consumption state. The factory default is eight
> (8) seconds, which is a very poor choice for use with Linux. Leaving
> it at the default will result in hundreds of thousands of head
> load/unload cycles in a very short period of time. The drive
> mechanism is only rated for 300,000 to 1,000,000 cycles, so leaving
> it at the default could result in premature failure, not to mention
> the performance impact of the drive often having to wake-up before
> doing routine I/O.
>
> WD supply a WDIDLE3.EXE DOS utility for tweaking this setting, and
> you should use that program instead of hdparm if at all possible.
> The reverse-engineered implementation in hdparm is not as complete
> as the original official program, even though it does seem to work on
> at a least a few drives. [...]
>
> A setting of 30 seconds is recommended for Linux use. [...]

I've never heard of this. Are other Caviar Green users aware of this?
Anyone having any experience with this?

Thanks in advance!
Florian Philipp

Nikos Chantziaras 08-25-2012 01:08 PM

On 25/08/12 15:55, Florian Philipp wrote:

[...]

I have the same issue with a Seagate drive. The problem isn't just
reduced lifetime, but also an annoying high pitch sound when that
happens, and an also annoying freeze on the first disk I/O after the
heads have been parked.

The solution to this however is different; I use "-B 255" to disable
that feature entirely. Parking the heads *at all* is just brain
damaged. There's no reason at all. I don't know if the WD disks
support the -B option though.

Adam Carter 08-28-2012 12:27 AM

hdparm + Western Digital Green "idle3"

>> I've just checked out the man page for hdparm. There I noticed the
>> new -J switch. It reads:
>>
>>> Get/set the Western Digital (WD) Green Drive's "idle3" timeout
>>> value. This timeout controls how often the drive parks its heads and
>>> enters a low power consumption state. The factory default is eight
>>> (8) seconds, which is a very poor choice for use with Linux. Leaving
>>> it at the default will result in hundreds of thousands of head
>>> load/unload cycles in a very short period of time. The drive
>>> mechanism is only rated for 300,000 to 1,000,000 cycles, so leaving
>>> it at the default could result in premature failure,

# smartctl -a /dev/sda | grep Load_Cycle_Count
193 Load_Cycle_Count 0x0032 001 001 000 Old_age
Always - 920472

So i'm at 920K - has anyone tried -J? Since it returns this (below) I
think i'll just leave it drive with the 8 second timer. The drive is
mirrored.

Use of -J is EXTREMELY DANGEROUS.
This implementation is not as thorough as the official WDIDLE3.EXE.
Use at your own risk!
Please also supply the --please-destroy-my-drive flag if you really want this.
Program aborted.