Old 08-24-2012, 05:22 PM
James

Default OT: python, accounting & gentoo

Hello

I'm looking to learn more about Python and it's capabilities.
Since I have some "loose" requirements to integrate some financial
accounting and data collection into an sql
database, I figured I'd research relevant, existing software
as well as writing some code in python, to see
how well I like python..... with web, graphics and database
systems.

So what I have found on Gentoo is "openERP"
Other software (written in python is a requirement)
not in portage, that I have found so far is:
GNU Enterprise and Tryton. Any Others?

So whether it's a basic (python) based accounting system
or a full blown Enterprise Resource Planning tool,
I have one twist as to what the software must eventually do.
I have a myriad of embedded devices that provide all
sorts of machine based data (literally pumps, valves, etc and
all sorts of sensors) that will also be sending data into the
database system. I also have a myriad of very questionable
mathematical models that generate "simulated sensor data" also
to be included, monitored and analyzed.

So I want to find/develop/refine software
that is able to collect data from all sorts of disparate
sources. To then display it like a normal accounting software
package would, but also be able to display some (selective) data
in some sort of separate, graphical display, so a particular
parameter(s) could be displayed in a (real-time) graphical gui,
much like a speedometer on the dashboard of a car, simultaneously too.

Usually Java, qt4 etc are used to generate the graphical displays
on a computer screen. Is python viable as a language/tool to also
create these graphics? If not, what would be a good language,
that works well with python, to use to develop either web based
or display graphics?

This is an evolving, formative effort, so all input, particularly codes
that exist, are welcome. Comments on using python, and other ideas
are most appreciated.

James

Old 08-24-2012, 05:50 PM
Randolph Maaßen

[...]

Hi,
I cant tell you much about accounting software, but what i know is that there are python binding for qt and gtk, just look for PyQt4 and pygtk. Another toolkit with bindings i I know about is wxWidgets with wxPython.

I'm sure, there are bindings for your*preferred*toolkit.
--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen*/ Best regards*Randolph Maaßen

Old 08-24-2012, 06:20 PM
James

Randolph Maaßen <r.maassen60 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I cant tell you much about accounting software, but what i know
> is that there are python binding for qt and gtk, just look for
> PyQt4 and pygtk. Another toolkit with bindings i I know about
> is wxWidgets with wxPython.

> I'm sure, there are bindings for your*preferred*toolkit.

OK, I was hoping to avoid going through /usr/portage/dev-python
manually to discover the possible relevant packages....

thx,
James

Old 08-24-2012, 06:35 PM
Michael Mol

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 2:20 PM, James <wireless@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> Randolph Maaßen <r.maassen60 <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

>> I cant tell you much about accounting software, but what i know
>> is that there are python binding for qt and gtk, just look for
>> PyQt4 and pygtk. Another toolkit with bindings i I know about
>> is wxWidgets with wxPython.
>
>> I'm sure, there are bindings for your preferred toolkit.
>
> OK, I was hoping to avoid going through /usr/portage/dev-python
> manually to discover the possible relevant packages....

euse, combined with grep, will help you greatly.

euse -i tk|grep python
euse -i python|grep tk
euse -i gtk|grep python

etc.

That's how I'd tackle it.

--
:wq

Old 08-24-2012, 06:44 PM
James

Michael Mol <mikemol <at> gmail.com> writes:

> euse -i tk|grep python
> euse -i python|grep tk
> euse -i gtk|grep python

eix -S -c | grep python

get's them all.....

However, I was looking for some voice of experience
or wisdomatic comment on the myriad
of choices to possible start testing.....

Maybe some similar software exist?

trudging onward....
thx,
James

Old 08-24-2012, 08:28 PM
Tom Cocagne

There are a few Python packages that come to mind when reading your description.

ZeroMQ (with the pyzmq bindings) - Exceedingly simple, robust, and
reliable message passing. This may simplify your data collection
needs.

Twisted (http://www.twistedmatrix.com) - An excellent asynchronous
networking library. More complex than ZeroMQ but much more versatile.

Matplotlib - One of the best graph generation tools available. It
supports multiple GUI frameworks and can be used for both static and
dynamic graph generation.

Python's built-in SQLite database - If your accounting needs are
fairly light, it may be simpler to use a raw database than a
full-fledged ERP/accounting system.

Given your problem description, you've certainly got your work cut out
for you. I hope these help. Good luck!

Tom