Old 05-16-2012, 07:32 PM
Joshua O'Leary

Default wifi

On 16/05/12 18:59, Norman Silverstone wrote:

I would like to be able to connect my PC to the router wirelessly and
would be grateful for suggestions of cards or USB devices which would be
suitable and, preferably, work out of the box.

Thanks

Norman

I've had success with a Micronet SP9-6GK PCI card (realtek chipset), its
very cheap and does the job brilliantly, especially in Xubuntu 12.04. It
works perfectly out of the box. I'm not sure whether that particular
model is still available, but this TP-Link card is also good:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WN781ND-150Mbps-Wireless-Express/dp/B0036AFAEW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337196587&sr=8-1
<http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WN781ND-150Mbps-Wireless-Express/dp/B0036AFAEW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337196587&sr=8-1>

(make sure your PC supports PCI-E, some older ones do not)

If you wanted something very fast and 100% reliable, dlan homeplugs are
also great and require little or no configuration (just an ethernet
connection), I would particularly recommend the Devolo ones.

Joshua

Old 05-17-2012, 06:36 AM
Norman Silverstone

On Wed, 2012-05-16 at 20:32 +0100, Joshua O'Leary wrote:
> On 16/05/12 18:59, Norman Silverstone wrote:
> > I would like to be able to connect my PC to the router wirelessly and
> > would be grateful for suggestions of cards or USB devices which would be
> > suitable and, preferably, work out of the box.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Norman
> >

> I've had success with a Micronet SP9-6GK PCI card (realtek chipset), its
> very cheap and does the job brilliantly, especially in Xubuntu 12.04. It
> works perfectly out of the box. I'm not sure whether that particular
> model is still available, but this TP-Link card is also good:
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WN781ND-150Mbps-Wireless-Express/dp/B0036AFAEW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337196587&sr=8-1
> <http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WN781ND-150Mbps-Wireless-Express/dp/B0036AFAEW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337196587&sr=8-1>
> (make sure your PC supports PCI-E, some older ones do not)
>
> If you wanted something very fast and 100% reliable, dlan homeplugs are
> also great and require little or no configuration (just an ethernet
> connection), I would particularly recommend the Devolo ones.
>
> Joshua

Thank you very much. I have had a look and the TP-LINK card is still
available - Amazon, here I come.

Norman

Old 05-23-2012, 09:48 AM
Norman Silverstone

On Wed, 2012-05-16 at 20:32 +0100, Joshua O'Leary wrote:
> On 16/05/12 18:59, Norman Silverstone wrote:
> > I would like to be able to connect my PC to the router wirelessly and
> > would be grateful for suggestions of cards or USB devices which would be
> > suitable and, preferably, work out of the box.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Norman
> >

> I've had success with a Micronet SP9-6GK PCI card (realtek chipset), its
> very cheap and does the job brilliantly, especially in Xubuntu 12.04. It
> works perfectly out of the box. I'm not sure whether that particular
> model is still available, but this TP-Link card is also good:
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WN781ND-150Mbps-Wireless-Express/dp/B0036AFAEW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337196587&sr=8-1
> <http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WN781ND-150Mbps-Wireless-Express/dp/B0036AFAEW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337196587&sr=8-1>
> (make sure your PC supports PCI-E, some older ones do not)
>
> If you wanted something very fast and 100% reliable, dlan homeplugs are
> also great and require little or no configuration (just an ethernet
> connection), I would particularly recommend the Devolo ones.
>
> Joshua

To complete the thread - the TP-Link card was installed this morning and
it worked out of the box.

Norman