Old 12-23-2009, 08:15 PM
"T H Stearns"

Default WiFi

Dear Prof. Chee:

You were a great help with my Ubuntu resolution issue. I have installed
Xubuntu on my X24 laptop and encountered
a missing WiFI card driver issue. When I installed Mandriva on the same
machine it found the card and activated it without my
intervention---surprised me mightily to find myself on-line with the ioffice
cable unplugged!! But Ubuntu isn't quite so industrious.

I have the correct driver here somewhere--in Windows format, of course.

What do I do to get the WiFi working?

Tom Stearns
3 Brander Court
Nashua, NH
03063

Old 12-23-2009, 09:45 PM
John Alfred Nathanael Chee

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 13:15, T H Stearns <thomasstearns@comcast.net> wrote:
> Dear Prof. Chee:
>
> You were a great help with my Ubuntu resolution issue. *I have installed
> Xubuntu on *my X24 laptop and encountered
> a missing WiFI card driver issue. When I installed Mandriva on the same
> machine it found the card and activated it without my
> intervention---surprised me mightily to find myself on-line with the ioffice
> cable unplugged!! But Ubuntu isn't quite so industrious.
>
> I have the correct driver here somewhere--in Windows format, of course.
>
> What do I do to get the WiFi working?

Thomas,

I've never had an issue with wifi not working with xubuntu, but I have
heard of some wifi problems that require some extra work to install.

First I would start Terminal and run:

lspci

Then post the output back here, and we'll see how we can help.

P.S. Since Christmas is coming up I might be a little slow to respond,
so if you want to, you might try googling around for 'ubuntu <whatever
wireless card you have>' to see if you can find any howtos or forum
posts.

P.P.S I'm not a professor, just a graduate.
--
Love in Jesus Christ, John Alfred Nathanael Chee
http://www.biblegateway.com/

Old 12-24-2009, 02:16 AM
"Lee Gold"

Use ndiswrapper and the win98 driver

Old 04-06-2010, 06:40 PM
Robert

On 04/06/2010 01:56 PM, Davy Leon informed us:
> Hi folks
> I'm trying to use a Netgear WG111-2 USB-wifi adapter on a Centos 5.3
> Box. Someone has done it? It seems not to be supported by the kernel.
> Thanks
You might find something useful at

Old 04-06-2010, 06:44 PM
Ned Slider

Davy Leon wrote:
> Hi folks
>
> I'm trying to use a Netgear WG111-2 USB-wifi adapter on a Centos 5.3 Box. Someone has done it? It seems not to be supported by the kernel.
>
> Thanks
>
> David

It should work. However, I'd strongly suggest updating from 5.3 as many
improvements to the wireless stack and drivers have been backported
since 5.3.

Here's what I see when plugging one of these into my box...

# lsusb
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0846:6a00 NetGear, Inc. WG111v2 54 Mbps Wireless
[RealTek RTL8187L]

so it's a RealTek RTL8187L. Now lets see if the kernel has a driver for it:

# grep -i 0846 /lib/modules/*/modules.alias | grep -i 6a00
/lib/modules/2.6.18-128.el5/modules.alias:alias
usb:v0846p6A00d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip* rtl8187
/lib/modules/2.6.18-164.11.1.el5/modules.alias:alias
usb:v0846p6A00d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip* rtl8187
/lib/modules/2.6.18-164.15.1.el5/modules.alias:alias
usb:v0846p6A00d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip* rtl8187
/lib/modules/2.6.18-164.el5/modules.alias:alias
usb:v0846p6A00d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip* rtl8187
/lib/modules/2.6.18-194.el5/modules.alias:alias
usb:v0846p6A00d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip* rtl8187

Yes, it's supported by the 5.3 (-128.el5), 5.4 (-164.el5) and 5.5
(-194.el5) kernels. The modules loaded themselves:

# lsmod | grep 8187
rtl8187 91077 0
mac80211 183745 1 rtl8187
cfg80211 191369 2 rtl8187,mac80211
eeprom_93cx6 35393 1 rtl8187

I've not actually used the device, only plugged it in, so you'd need to
configure it from here or just let NetworkManager handle the device.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:45 PM
Timothy Kesten

Am Dienstag, 6. April 2010 20:56:42 schrieb Davy Leon:
> Hi folks
>
> I'm trying to use a Netgear WG111-2 USB-wifi adapter on a Centos 5.3 Box.
> Someone has done it? It seems not to be supported by the kernel.

I've tried it some month ago with no success :-(

On sidux (Kernel 2.6.32) it is supportetd out of the box - but no with CentOS.

Timothy

Old 04-06-2010, 08:08 PM
"Davy Leon"

thanks I'll check that link.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:06 PM
Ned Slider

Ned Slider wrote:

> I've not actually used the device, only plugged it in, so you'd need to
> configure it from here or just let NetworkManager handle the device.

I just fired the device up to test and it works fine out of the box with
NetworkManager connecting to a WPA encrypted WAP. Didn't test it for
long, just pinged a couple sites and opened google in a browser to
establish connectivity.

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops/NetworkManager

Hope that helps.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:59 PM
Norman Silverstone

I would like to be able to connect my PC to the router wirelessly and
would be grateful for suggestions of cards or USB devices which would be
suitable and, preferably, work out of the box.

Thanks

Norman