-   -   Strange crash while setting up new box (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/69702-strange-crash-while-setting-up-new-box.html)

maxim wexler 04-14-2008 07:37 PM

Strange crash while setting up new box

Hi group,

I've never seen this before:

I needed a new mobo but I wanted to keep the cpu so I
got another socket 754, an AsRock K8Upgrade-N3, which
has a 939 option. I also got a new video card to go
with it, a GeForce FX5500. I also got a new PS, an
Enermax 400 "Liberty".

So I put it together and it boots right up. Just need
to make a couple of modules and re-xorgconfig. So
while I'm rejigging the kernel the screen suddenly
fills up with a bunch of black and white code and
crashes, no keyboard, no mouse. I was gonna type it up
here but then the box just rebooted while I was
writing this.

As I recall the code was just the names of processes
followed by numbers. No warnings or errors, nothing
about a failure.

Anybody seen this?

There's a few things in the new BIOS that I'm not
familiar with: Fast Write, Ring-in Power On, PCI
Devices Power On. S.M.A.R.T is disabled by default but
I enabled it.

Maxim