Old 08-23-2012, 09:47 AM
Bill Kenworthy

Default xz memory hungry?

On Thu, 2012-08-23 at 09:37 +0100, Jorge Almeida wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 4:34 AM, Paul Hartman
> <paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 7:24 PM, Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Well, I found the problem: ulimit problem. Not the first time this crap bites
> >> me, but I always forget. I just wish this was better documented, somewhere.
> >
> > I tried to use ulimit to change stack size system-wide once, to reduce
> > RAM usage on 256M box, and it resulted in strange problems like this.
> > I changed it back to default and leave it alone since then except for
> > specific services because I don't fully understand the magic that
> > happens inside the box.
> >
> Last time I had a problem like this I spent a lot of time googling about
> ulimit/setting_limits/etc and found _nothing_ worth mentioning. This time I
> run "ulimit -v unlimited", but the question is who put the former values
> there? Some hard-coded default? I couldn't find anything in init scripts nor
> in bash rc files. I know that on logout the value is lost (I had to run ulimit
> again on chrooting). What is the appropriate file to put "ulimit -v unlimited"
> in? Perhaps ~/.bash_profile? And how can root set different hard limits for
> different users? Maybe some bash guru will step in?
>
> J.A.

probably rc.conf, or maybe login.defs depending on per user/or everyone

BillK

troll ~ # grep limit /etc/*
/etc/freetds.conf: # 'text size' to a more reasonable limit
/etc/jwhois.conf: rwhois-limit = 10;
/etc/login.defs:# Enable setting of ulimit, umask, and niceness from passwd gecos field.
/etc/login.defs:# a ":" delimited list of device names. Root logins will be allowed only
/etc/login.defs:# If defined, ":" delimited list of "message of the day" files to
/etc/login.defs:# ULIMIT Default "ulimit" value.
/etc/login.defs:# (now it works with setrlimit too; ulimit is in 512-byte units)
/etc/login.defs:# It supports passwords of unlimited length and longer salt strings.
/etc/login.defs:# with the same group ID, to avoid limitation of the line length in the
/etc/lynx.cfg:# For instance, if SESSION_LIMIT is 250, a per-session limit of 250 entries of
/etc/lynx.cfg:# There is no fixed limit on the number of entries which can be restored;
/etc/lynx.cfg:# It is limited only by available memory.
/etc/lynx.cfg:# we need to limit the charset in outgoing mail to reduce
/etc/lynx.cfg:# The news reading facility in Lynx is quite limited. Lynx does not provide a
/etc/lynx.cfg:# The posting facility in Lynx is quite limited. Lynx does not provide a
/etc/lynx.cfg:# COOKIE_ACCEPT_DOMAINS and COOKIE_REJECT_DOMAINS are comma-delimited lists
/etc/lynx.cfg:# COOKIE_QUERY_INVALID_DOMAINS are comma-delimited lists of domains.
/etc/lynx.cfg:# MAX_COOKIES_BUFFER are limits on the total number of cookies for each domain,
/etc/lynx.cfg:# globally, and the per-cookie buffer size. These limits are by default large
Binary file /etc/prelink.cache matches
/etc/rc.conf:# Pass ulimit parameters
/etc/rc.conf:#rc_ulimit="-u 30"
/etc/smartd.conf:# -W D,I,C Monitor Temperature D)ifference, I)nformal limit, C)ritical limit
/etc/wgetrc:# default quota is unlimited.
troll ~ #

Old 08-23-2012, 10:14 AM
Jorge Almeida

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 10:47 AM, Bill Kenworthy <billk@iinet.net.au> wrote:

>> Last time I had a problem like this I spent a lot of time googling about
>> ulimit/setting_limits/etc and found _nothing_ worth mentioning. This time I
>> run "ulimit -v unlimited", but the question is who put the former values
>> there? Some hard-coded default? I couldn't find anything in init scripts nor
>> in bash rc files. I know that on logout the value is lost (I had to run ulimit
>> again on chrooting). What is the appropriate file to put "ulimit -v unlimited"
>> in? Perhaps ~/.bash_profile? And how can root set different hard limits for
>> different users? Maybe some bash guru will step in?
>>

> probably rc.conf, or maybe login.defs depending on per user/or everyone

It seems rc.conf has a variable for ulimit -u, not for the other flags.
login.defs has ULIMIT but teh man page just says "Default ulimit value"
Ah well...

Thanks

J.A.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:23 AM
Blakawk

wrote:

[...]

In /etc/security/limits.conf you can put any limits that can be set
using ulimit command so they are kept between reboots.

Thanks

J.A.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:37 AM
Jorge Almeida

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 12:23 PM, Blakawk <blakawk@gentooist.com> wrote:
> On 23/08/2012 12:14, Jorge Almeida wrote:

> In /etc/security/limits.conf you can put any limits that can be set using
> ulimit command so they are kept between reboots.

OK, but I'm not using PAM for anything, so the question remains of how the
values are currently set.

Thanks

J.A.