Old 08-20-2012, 03:31 PM

Default new machine : DVD drive

Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:

> Walk into any old store and buy a $15-$30 drive. Most burners these
> days support burning CD-R, CD-RW, DVD+R, DVD-R, DVD+RW, DVD-RAM.
> Writing dual-layer discs is slightly less common, but still cheap and
> easy to get.

Looking at the pile of writers I have at home, there are much more dual laywr
writers than DVD-RAM aware ones.

Jörg

js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

Old 08-20-2012, 03:47 PM
Michael Mol

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 11:31 AM, Joerg Schilling
<Joerg.Schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de> wrote:
> Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Walk into any old store and buy a $15-$30 drive. Most burners these
>> days support burning CD-R, CD-RW, DVD+R, DVD-R, DVD+RW, DVD-RAM.
>> Writing dual-layer discs is slightly less common, but still cheap and
>> easy to get.
>
> Looking at the pile of writers I have at home, there are much more dual laywr
> writers than DVD-RAM aware ones.

Then the art has improved since I last went shopping. *shrug*

--
:wq

Old 08-20-2012, 04:12 PM
Pandu Poluan

On Aug 20, 2012 10:12 PM, "Joerg Schilling" <Joerg.Schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de> wrote:

> Pandu Poluan <pandu@poluan.info> wrote:

> > On Aug 20, 2012 8:51 PM, "Pandu Poluan" <pandu@poluan.info> wrote:

> > > On Aug 20, 2012 7:47 PM, "Andrea Conti" <alyf@alyf.net> wrote:

> > > +RW *can* be erased, or else it won't be called RW :-)

> > > That said, the difference is much deeper than differing metadata. Among

> > which :

> > > * +RW uses Phase Modulation, -RW uses amplitude modulation. This gives

> > +RW much more robustness than -RW

> This is also wrong:

> DVD+RW use 817.4 kHz in the pregrove and periodically inverts the phase as

> sector start marker. This is cheaper to press (as the stamper will last for more

> press cycles) but it is not as accurate as DVD-RW and you get floating bader

> quality during the life cycle of the stamper.

> DVD-RW uses 140.6 kHz in the pregrove and in addition lans pits between the

> groves to mark the sector start, This is much more precise than what DVD+RW

> uses. Since aproc. 4 years, there is a new patented stamper method that uses

> dints in the pregrove instead of pits on top of the land. This is as precise as

> the pit on land method, compatoble to this method and allows stampers that are

> as cheap as the DVD+RW stampers. There is no degradaraion of the stamper

> accuracy as with DVD+RW, even with the new modified version.

Thanks for the technical information, although honestly, most are beyond me :-P

That said, care to refute the following page:

http://www.myce.com/article/why-dvdrw-is-superior-to-dvd-rw-203/

because until someone publicly refute that article, I honestly will prefer +RW over -RW.

(And, anecdotally, ever since I burn DVD's, I already had a stack of failing -RW discs, while having only two failing +RW discs. I might be just lucky, but since experience matches expectations (based on that article), luck seems to not have anything to do with it.)

PS: I'm not trying to start a plus/minus war; I am sincerely interested, and will switch my preferred optical media if corrected.

Rgds,

Old 08-20-2012, 05:45 PM
Dale

microcai wrote:
> 2012/8/20 Philip Webb <purslow@ca.inter.net>:
>
>> (2) what software do Gentoo users use to read/write DVDs ?
> k3b is a good one

If you don't use KDE or Gnome, try this one:

app-cdr/tkdvd

It's simple but it worked last time I tried it.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 08-20-2012, 06:03 PM
"Walter Dnes"

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 06:21:39AM -0400, Philip Webb wrote

> so I'm now planning to buy a new DVD drive & to start using DVDs.
> I wb using them only for back-ups, not playing music or videos.
>
> This looks like a good enough item :
> ASUS DRW-24B1ST 24x SATA Black R 48x W 8x OEM : CAD 24,99

Some "outside the box thinking"...
* You said CDs are going away, so let's use DVDs
* Others said DVDs are going away, so let's use Bluerays
* I say that exposed-platter media in general is going away

So let's look at using USB keys instead...
* My "offsite backup" is a couple of 16-gig USB keys in a safety deposit
box at my bank. Ever tried to stash a CD/DVD/Blueray disk into a
regular-size safety deposit box? It doesn't work.

* Random access - check

* All permissions and ownership UIDs - check (when formatted with any
linux file system).

I suggest formatting as ext2fs. It's simple, and it works. You won't
be writing that often, and journaling filesystems can be murder on USB
keys. FAT32 doesn't save linux ownership+permissions. Also, while the
FAT32 partition can go up to 2 terabytes, individual files can only go
up to 4 gigs.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

Old 08-21-2012, 04:13 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

Am Montag, 20. August 2012, 23:12:14 schrieb Pandu Poluan:
> On Aug 20, 2012 10:12 PM, "Joerg Schilling" <
>
> Joerg.Schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de> wrote:
> > Pandu Poluan <pandu@poluan.info> wrote:

> Among
>
> > > which :
> > >
> > > +RW much more robustness than -RW
> >
> > This is also wrong:
> >

> > DVD+RW use 817.4 kHz in the pregrove and periodically inverts the phase as
> > sector start marker. This is cheaper to press (as the stamper will last
>
> for more
>
> > press cycles) but it is not as accurate as DVD-RW and you get floating
>
> bader
>
> > quality during the life cycle of the stamper.
> >
> > DVD-RW uses 140.6 kHz in the pregrove and in addition lans pits between
>
> the
>
> > groves to mark the sector start, This is much more precise than what
>
> DVD+RW
>
> > uses. Since aproc. 4 years, there is a new patented stamper method that
>
> uses
>
> > dints in the pregrove instead of pits on top of the land. This is as
>
> precise as
>
> > the pit on land method, compatoble to this method and allows stampers
>
> that are
>
> > as cheap as the DVD+RW stampers. There is no degradaraion of the stamper
> > accuracy as with DVD+RW, even with the new modified version.
>
> Thanks for the technical information, although honestly, most are beyond me
>
> :-P
>
> That said, care to refute the following page:
>
> http://www.myce.com/article/why-dvdrw-is-superior-to-dvd-rw-203/
>
> because until someone publicly refute that article, I honestly will prefer
> +RW over -RW.
>
> (And, anecdotally, ever since I burn DVD's, I already had a stack of
> failing -RW discs, while having only two failing +RW discs. I might be just
> lucky, but since experience matches expectations (based on that article),
> luck seems to not have anything to do with it.)
>
> PS: I'm not trying to start a plus/minus war; I am sincerely interested,
> and will switch my preferred optical media if corrected.
>
> Rgds,

hm, I also had much besser results with + media. +rw and +r.

--
#163933

Old 08-21-2012, 04:13 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

Old 08-21-2012, 07:04 PM
Dale

Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> hm, I also had much besser results with + media. +rw and +r.

I always get the + stuff too. No problems so far. < knock on wood >

Dale

:-) :-)

P. S. I knocked to hard. Now my head hurts. LOL

Old 08-21-2012, 08:40 PM
Paul Hartman

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 2:04 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
> Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
>> hm, I also had much besser results with + media. +rw and +r.
>
> I always get the + stuff too. No problems so far. < knock on wood >

If it's turning into a survey, these are what I use:

Sony/NEC Optiarc drive with bitsetting firmware

Taiyo-Yuden single-layer DVD-R
Memorex dual-layer DVD+R
Taiyo-Yuden CD-R
Mitsui gold CD-R (in years past)

I have never used a blu-ray disc or drive though the prices are coming
down, still read many reviews of bad burns/incompatible discs and
drives, etc. that scare me away from it for now.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:12 PM
Dale

Paul Hartman wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 2:04 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
>>> hm, I also had much besser results with + media. +rw and +r.
>> I always get the + stuff too. No problems so far. < knock on wood >
> If it's turning into a survey, these are what I use:
>
> Sony/NEC Optiarc drive with bitsetting firmware
>
> Taiyo-Yuden single-layer DVD-R
> Memorex dual-layer DVD+R
> Taiyo-Yuden CD-R
> Mitsui gold CD-R (in years past)
>
> I have never used a blu-ray disc or drive though the prices are coming
> down, still read many reviews of bad burns/incompatible discs and
> drives, etc. that scare me away from it for now.

I use Phillips and Memorex media. I think both of those came from Big
Lots. I paid $5.00 for 20 of them. I bought a couple packs. I have
used, and reused, them several times with no problems. I use a LG
burner. This is from hdparm:

Model=HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS50

I have some older imation CD media to. Those I have used for years.
Those are CD-RW. Basically, I have use both kinds with no problems. I
credit the really well made burner myself but . . . . it could be just
blind luck since I just buy whatever is on sale.

Dale

:-) :-)