Old 08-20-2012, 03:18 PM
"mike@trausch.us"

Default Should I install pulseaudio to solve my phonon audio problems?

On 08/20/2012 02:19 AM, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
> And the players output to PulseAudio directly or through the ALSA
> emulation? In GNOME 2 you could configure GStreamer (which both
> Rhythmbox and Banshee use) to use PulseAudio as default sink, or using
> ALSA; but it PA is running, newer versions will automagically detect
> it and use it [1]. I use GNOME 3 and PA is mandatory, so I don't
> remember exactly how it was.

I just checked my GStreamer settings, and they are correct; here is a
transcript of the configuration window for gstreamer-properties:

==================================
Default Output

Plugin: PulseAudio Sound Server
Device: Internal Audio Analog Surround 5.1
Pipeline: [can't read, runs off the screen and window won't resize]
==================================

The Input section is blank, and I never use the input so it doesn't matter.

I still have to do the scroll-up/scroll-down trickery every time I start
a stream in Banshee or Rhythmbox.

--- Mike

--- Carveth Read, “Logic”

Old 08-20-2012, 04:57 PM
Canek Pelez Valds

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 10:18 AM, mike@trausch.us <mike@trausch.us> wrote:
> On 08/20/2012 02:19 AM, Canek Pelez Valds wrote:
>> And the players output to PulseAudio directly or through the ALSA
>> emulation? In GNOME 2 you could configure GStreamer (which both
>> Rhythmbox and Banshee use) to use PulseAudio as default sink, or using
>> ALSA; but it PA is running, newer versions will automagically detect
>> it and use it [1]. I use GNOME 3 and PA is mandatory, so I don't
>> remember exactly how it was.
>
> I just checked my GStreamer settings, and they are correct; here is a
> transcript of the configuration window for gstreamer-properties:
>
> ==================================
> Default Output
>
> Plugin: PulseAudio Sound Server
> Device: Internal Audio Analog Surround 5.1
> Pipeline: [can't read, runs off the screen and window won't resize]
> ==================================
>
> The Input section is blank, and I never use the input so it doesn't matter.
>
> I still have to do the scroll-up/scroll-down trickery every time I start
> a stream in Banshee or Rhythmbox.

I don't know what to tell you, except that I haven't had any problem
with my 5.1 configuration. Ever. The internal soundcard in my desktop
is also 5.1 capable, and it also just works (just checked).

What I know is that several times I read the author complaining on how
Ubuntu packages PA [1], but I have never used Ubuntu, so I don't know.
I just installed PA in Gentoo when it became stable, I have never
touched its configuration files, and it just works, in all my machines
(that use audio; I don't use it on servers, obviously).

Regards.

[1] http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/pa-in-ubuntu.html
--
Canek Pelez Valds
Posgrado en Ciencia e Ingeniera de la Computacin

Old 08-20-2012, 05:24 PM
Joo Matos

To install pulseaudio was the best thing I did since I enabled vdpau suport.

It is running great to my needs: I'm now able to use my bluetooth headset, my webcam mic, and the system is perfectly integrated. When I anwser a skype call, the amarok player pauses itself untill the call finish.

Just skype can't use the headset, but I'll work on it later.

Thank u.
--
Joo de Matos
Linux User #461527

Old 08-20-2012, 08:09 PM
Canek Pelez Valds

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 12:24 PM, Joo Matos <jaoneto@gmail.com> wrote:
> To install pulseaudio was the best thing I did since I enabled vdpau suport.
>
> It is running great to my needs: I'm now able to use my bluetooth headset,
> my webcam mic, and the system is perfectly integrated. When I anwser a skype
> call, the amarok player pauses itself untill the call finish.
>
> Just skype can't use the headset, but I'll work on it later.

It's easy: go to Skype preferences, select Sound Devices, and set
"PulseAudio server (local)" for microphone, speakers and ringing. Now
emerge media-sound/pavucontrol, and run pavucontrol. With Skype
running (and in the middle of a test call, for example, so it uses the
soundcard), in the Playback tab of pavucontrol select the BT headset
for the Skype application. Done; this is how I did it in my laptop
right now:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/115256116066287398549/posts/JX6kRciZ9zA

Regards.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:44 PM
Joo Matos

2012/8/20 Canek Pelez Valds <caneko@gmail.com>

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 12:24 PM, Joo Matos <jaoneto@gmail.com> wrote:

> To install pulseaudio was the best thing I did since I enabled vdpau suport.

> It is running great to my needs: I'm now able to use my bluetooth headset,

> my webcam mic, and the system is perfectly integrated. When I anwser a skype

> call, the amarok player pauses itself untill the call finish.

> Just skype can't use the headset, but I'll work on it later.

It's easy: go to Skype preferences, *select Sound Devices, and set

"PulseAudio server (local)" for microphone, speakers and ringing. Now

emerge media-sound/pavucontrol, and run pavucontrol. With Skype

running (and in the middle of a test call, for example, so it uses the

soundcard), in the Playback tab of pavucontrol select the BT headset

for the Skype application. Done; this is how I did it in my laptop

right now:

Now, everything is the way I wanted!

thank u

--