Old 08-18-2012, 10:37 PM
Reinhard Kotucha

Default revdep-rebuild problem

Hi,
I'm using Gentoo for a couple of years and am quite amazed how good it
works. So thanks to all involved in its develpoment.

However, after today's update, when I run revdep-rebuild, I get the
message

* Checking dynamic linking consistency
* broken /usr/lib64/libogrove.la (requires -lstdc++)
* broken /usr/lib64/libospgrove.la (requires -lstdc++)
* broken /usr/lib64/libostyle.la (requires -lstdc++)

I would expect that revdep-rebuild re-builds the broken libraries, but
instead it only re-builds app-text/openjade.

Hence I can run revdep-rebuild again and again ad nauseam without any
effect.

Another, quite unrelated question: Whenever I run

emerge --update --pretend

I'm warned in advance if a portage update is available. It seems that
emerge is able to warn about critical updates.

On the other hand it happpened several times that *after* an update
I've been told that my system is completely broken and will not
re-boot unless I compile a new kernel. It would be nice if I can be
warned *before* I run emerge without the --pretend option. Then I
could postpone the update to the next weekend, when I have more time.

My propsal is to add a warning similar to that I get when portage
updates are available, so that users know in advance that a particular
update will break the system.

Of course, this mailing list is not the proper place for such
suggestions. Can anybody tell me whom I should ask?

Regards,
Reinhard

Reinhard Kotucha Phone: +49-511-3373112
Marschnerstr. 25
D-30167 Hannover mailto:reinhard.kotucha@web.de

Old 08-18-2012, 11:02 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

Am Sonntag, 19. August 2012, 00:37:36 schrieb Reinhard Kotucha:
> Hi,
> I'm using Gentoo for a couple of years and am quite amazed how good it
> works. So thanks to all involved in its develpoment.
>
> However, after today's update, when I run revdep-rebuild, I get the
> message
>
> * Checking dynamic linking consistency
> * broken /usr/lib64/libogrove.la (requires -lstdc++)
> * broken /usr/lib64/libospgrove.la (requires -lstdc++)
> * broken /usr/lib64/libostyle.la (requires -lstdc++)

so, find out which package these three belong to - and remove them.

> emerge --update --pretend

why pretend?

> I'm warned in advance if a portage update is available. It seems that
> emerge is able to warn about critical updates.

only about portage updates.

> On the other hand it happpened several times that *after* an update
> I've been told that my system is completely broken and will not
> re-boot unless I compile a new kernel.

really? never saw that. Only with xorg-drivers after a xorg-server update.

> It would be nice if I can be
> warned *before* I run emerge without the --pretend option. Then I
> could postpone the update to the next weekend, when I have more time.

so you want portage to read every single ebuild, making the operation A LOT
longer? I am sorry but I am not willing to waste so much time.

> My propsal is to add a warning similar to that I get when portage
> updates are available, so that users know in advance that a particular
> update will break the system.

please enlighten me which update breaks a system. Can't remember one. Hm, back
with libss&co maybe?

> Of course, this mailing list is not the proper place for such
> suggestions. Can anybody tell me whom I should ask?

bugzilla. Feature request.

--
#163933

Old 08-18-2012, 11:20 PM
Alan McKinnon

A few extra inline comments to reinforce what you just said:

On Sun, 19 Aug 2012 01:02:24 +0200
Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Am Sonntag, 19. August 2012, 00:37:36 schrieb Reinhard Kotucha:
> > Hi,
> > I'm using Gentoo for a couple of years and am quite amazed how good
> > it works. So thanks to all involved in its develpoment.
> >
> > However, after today's update, when I run revdep-rebuild, I get the
> > message
> >
> > * Checking dynamic linking consistency
> > * broken /usr/lib64/libogrove.la (requires -lstdc++)
> > * broken /usr/lib64/libospgrove.la (requires -lstdc++)
> > * broken /usr/lib64/libostyle.la (requires -lstdc++)
>
> so, find out which package these three belong to - and remove them.
> >
> > emerge --update --pretend
>
> why pretend?
>

> > I'm warned in advance if a portage update is available. It seems
> > that emerge is able to warn about critical updates.
>
> only about portage updates.

and it's hard-coded:

if (update available)
print alarming message

> > On the other hand it happpened several times that *after* an update
> > I've been told that my system is completely broken and will not
> > re-boot unless I compile a new kernel.
>
> really? never saw that. Only with xorg-drivers after a xorg-server
> update.
>
> > It would be nice if I can be
> > warned *before* I run emerge without the --pretend option. Then I
> > could postpone the update to the next weekend, when I have more
> > time.
>
> so you want portage to read every single ebuild, making the operation
> A LOT longer? I am sorry but I am not willing to waste so much time.

Not only that but it's impossible for portage to know this before hand
unless some dev puts the information in the ebuild. And the infra to
check that does not exist.

This is all right correct and proper. The only way to know an update
breaks something is to build and test it. That's how Ubuntu does it:
the dev builds it, installs it, finds it breaks stuff. So it gets
committed to a repo with a warning that *the*dev*already*knows*about*

The Gentoo dev DOES NOT know about it, and cannot either. These
breakages are usually dependant on the environment they are used in and
only the user knows that. As you and I well know, the compiling Gentoo
user is that analogy of the Ubuntu DEV

> > My propsal is to add a warning similar to that I get when portage
> > updates are available, so that users know in advance that a
> > particular update will break the system.
>
> please enlighten me which update breaks a system. Can't remember one.
> Hm, back with libss&co maybe?

jpeg-7, expat2 ....

Those were dealt with in the only sane manner possible:

~arch: tough. Keep both pieces.
arch: news item in advance

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com

Old 08-19-2012, 01:02 AM
Volker Armin Hemmann

Am Sonntag, 19. August 2012, 01:20:05 schrieb Alan McKinnon:
> A few extra inline comments to reinforce what you just said:

> > > My propsal is to add a warning similar to that I get when portage
> > > updates are available, so that users know in advance that a
> > > particular update will break the system.
> >
> > please enlighten me which update breaks a system. Can't remember one.
> > Hm, back with libss&co maybe?
>
> jpeg-7, expat2 ....

both broke world, not system.

--
#163933

Old 08-19-2012, 08:14 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Sun, 19 Aug 2012 03:02:38 +0200, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:

> > > please enlighten me which update breaks a system. Can't remember
> > > one. Hm, back with libss&co maybe?
> >
> > jpeg-7, expat2 ....
>
> both broke world, not system.

expat broke system here, but that is ancient history from which lessons
appear to have been learned.

--
Neil Bothwick

If bankers can count, how come they have eight windows and only four
tellers?

Old 08-19-2012, 11:00 PM
Reinhard Kotucha

On 2012-08-19 at 01:02:24 +0200, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:

> Am Sonntag, 19. August 2012, 00:37:36 schrieb Reinhard Kotucha:
> > Hi,
> > I'm using Gentoo for a couple of years and am quite amazed how good it
> > works. So thanks to all involved in its develpoment.
> >
> > However, after today's update, when I run revdep-rebuild, I get the
> > message
> >
> > * Checking dynamic linking consistency
> > * broken /usr/lib64/libogrove.la (requires -lstdc++)
> > * broken /usr/lib64/libospgrove.la (requires -lstdc++)
> > * broken /usr/lib64/libostyle.la (requires -lstdc++)
>
> so, find out which package these three belong to - and remove them.

Ok, will do.

> > emerge --update --pretend
>
> why pretend?

Because whenever I see that there is an Xorg update, I nowadays make a
full backup before I do the actual update.

> > On the other hand it happpened several times that *after* an update
> > I've been told that my system is completely broken and will not
> > re-boot unless I compile a new kernel.
>
> really? never saw that. Only with xorg-drivers after a xorg-server
> update.

Presumably because you already were using a newer kernel. It was the
kernel version number what mattered, not the configuration.

> > It would be nice if I can be warned *before* I run emerge without
> > the --pretend option. Then I could postpone the update to the
> > next weekend, when I have more time.
>
> so you want portage to read every single ebuild, making the
> operation A LOT longer? I am sorry but I am not willing to waste so
> much time.

Maybe a news item would be sufficient.

> > My propsal is to add a warning similar to that I get when portage
> > updates are available, so that users know in advance that a
> > particular update will break the system.
>
> please enlighten me which update breaks a system. Can't remember
> one. Hm, back with libss&co maybe?

Last time it happened after an udev update. After the update I've
been told that my kernel was too old. If I have to build a new kernel
the next day, I can only hope that there is no power failure
meanwhile and would rather postpone the update.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:27 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

Am Montag, 20. August 2012, 01:00:34 schrieb Reinhard Kotucha:
> On 2012-08-19 at 01:02:24 +0200, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> > Am Sonntag, 19. August 2012, 00:37:36 schrieb Reinhard Kotucha:
> > > Hi,
> > > I'm using Gentoo for a couple of years and am quite amazed how good it
> > > works. So thanks to all involved in its develpoment.
> > >
> > > However, after today's update, when I run revdep-rebuild, I get the
> > > message
> > >
> > > * Checking dynamic linking consistency
> > > * broken /usr/lib64/libogrove.la (requires -lstdc++)
> > > * broken /usr/lib64/libospgrove.la (requires -lstdc++)
> > > * broken /usr/lib64/libostyle.la (requires -lstdc++)
> >
> > so, find out which package these three belong to - and remove them.
>
> Ok, will do.
>
> > > emerge --update --pretend
> >
> > why pretend?
>
> Because whenever I see that there is an Xorg update, I nowadays make a
> full backup before I do the actual update.

that is what --ask is made for

> > > On the other hand it happpened several times that *after* an update
> > > I've been told that my system is completely broken and will not
> > > re-boot unless I compile a new kernel.
> >
> > really? never saw that. Only with xorg-drivers after a xorg-server
> > update.
>
> Presumably because you already were using a newer kernel. It was the
> kernel version number what mattered, not the configuration.

I have been sticking around with 3.0 for a long time.

> > > It would be nice if I can be warned *before* I run emerge without
> > > the --pretend option. Then I could postpone the update to the
> > > next weekend, when I have more time.
> >
> > so you want portage to read every single ebuild, making the
> > operation A LOT longer? I am sorry but I am not willing to waste so
> > much time.
>
> Maybe a news item would be sufficient.
>
> > > My propsal is to add a warning similar to that I get when portage
> > > updates are available, so that users know in advance that a
> > > particular update will break the system.
> >
> > please enlighten me which update breaks a system. Can't remember
> > one. Hm, back with libss&co maybe?
>
> Last time it happened after an udev update. After the update I've
> been told that my kernel was too old. If I have to build a new kernel
> the next day, I can only hope that there is no power failure
> meanwhile and would rather postpone the update.

okay, there is a reason I masked udev updates a long time ago

--
#163933

Old 08-21-2012, 07:05 AM
Bryan Gardiner

On August 20, 2012 15:27:54 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> Am Montag, 20. August 2012, 01:00:34 schrieb Reinhard Kotucha:
> > >
> > > why pretend?
> >
> > Because whenever I see that there is an Xorg update, I nowadays make a
> > full backup before I do the actual update.
>
> that is what --ask is made for

Nothing wrong with --pretend. I use it religiously for a couple of reasons.
One is that when I want --quiet-build off, I can keep a complete list of the
packages being merged in another screen tab, in case something fails.

The other is that I don't want "emerge --ask" littering my emerge.log with
stuff like this while I'm messing with USE flags, keywords, etc. and not
actually committing to any emerges:

1345531458: Started emerge on: Aug 20, 2012 23:44:18
1345531458: *** emerge --ask --binpkg-respect-use=y --quiet-build=n --verbose
--quiet-unmerge-warn extreme-tuxracer
1345531466: *** exiting unsuccessfully with status '130'.
1345531466: *** terminating.

Getting back to the actual topic I've noticed that more and more packages
are getting pkg_pretend() checks so that ebuilds can abort before the build
starts if something is missing, e.g. missing kernel modules or in the case of
Xorg, gcc being too old. This might be what you're asking for, in a way.

Cheers,
Bryan