Old 08-18-2012, 12:51 AM
Nikos Chantziaras

Default How can I bring back Konqueror as my man page viewer?

In KDE, I'm very used to simply type "man:foo" and have the man page of
"foo" pop up immediately in Konqueror without having to open a terminal
or anything.

However, since I installed Chromium and making it my default browser,
now "man:" brings up Chromium instead. That doesn't work; instead of
displaying the man page, it downloads the *.bz2 from the local file
system :-/

How can I set Konqueror to be the program that handles KDE's "man:" command?

Old 08-18-2012, 05:51 AM
Nilesh Govindrajan

In KDE, I'm very used to simply type "man:foo" and have the man page
of "foo" pop up immediately in Konqueror without having to open a
terminal or anything.

However, since I installed Chromium and making it my default browser,
now "man:" brings up Chromium instead. That doesn't work; instead of
displaying the man page, it downloads the *.bz2 from the local file
system :-/

How can I set Konqueror to be the program that handles KDE's "man:"
command?

Umm, my default browser is Firefox, but when I open Konqueror and type
man:ls I get to see the man page.

But if I launch using Alt+F2, it opens Firefox.

I think this needs some xdg tweaking, using xdg-mime. I don't know the
type of URL for man:, else could have posted the command.

--
Nilesh Govindrajan
http://nileshgr.com

Old 08-18-2012, 07:31 AM
Mick

On Saturday 18 Aug 2012 06:51:54 Nilesh Govindrajan wrote:
> On Sat 18 Aug 2012 06:21:55 AM IST, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> > In KDE, I'm very used to simply type "man:foo" and have the man page
> > of "foo" pop up immediately in Konqueror without having to open a
> > terminal or anything.
> >
> > However, since I installed Chromium and making it my default browser,
> > now "man:" brings up Chromium instead. That doesn't work; instead of
> > displaying the man page, it downloads the *.bz2 from the local file
> > system :-/
> >
> > How can I set Konqueror to be the program that handles KDE's "man:"
> > command?
>
> Umm, my default browser is Firefox, but when I open Konqueror and type
> man:ls I get to see the man page.
> But if I launch using Alt+F2, it opens Firefox.
>
> I think this needs some xdg tweaking, using xdg-mime. I don't know the
> type of URL for man:, else could have posted the command.

The solution may be to find out the mime type of man pages, then create a
.desktop file to handle it and use xdg-settings to set it up. I am thinking
along the lines of:

[Desktop Entry]
# ...
Exec=/usr/bin/konqueror %U
MimeType=text/man_page_thing;text/bz2;

or similar. However, the problem is that man pages are not a distinct mime
type, but compressed text files. So this may cause konqueror to become the
default application for opening all such mime types - which will be a pain.
Not sure if a default application can be defined on a path basis, whereby only
text files in e.g. /usr/share/man/man1/* would be opened with Konqueror.
Mick

Old 08-18-2012, 02:41 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

Am Samstag, 18. August 2012, 03:51:55 schrieb Nikos Chantziaras:
> In KDE, I'm very used to simply type "man:foo" and have the man page of
> "foo" pop up immediately in Konqueror without having to open a terminal
> or anything.
>
> However, since I installed Chromium and making it my default browser,
> now "man:" brings up Chromium instead. That doesn't work; instead of
> displaying the man page, it downloads the *.bz2 from the local file
> system :-/
>
> How can I set Konqueror to be the program that handles KDE's "man:" command?

open system-settings. Open mime/applications/whatever submenu (called
'Dateizuordnungen' in German).

application-xtroff-man
and
application-xtroff-man-compressed

should be the things you have to set. Click on 'embedded' and choose KManPart

And that it is always shown in the embedded part.

We are talking about KDE here - not gnome. It should not be necessary to fiddle
with desktop files.

--
#163933

Old 08-18-2012, 03:10 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

[...]

This is already set up that way. Except that x-troff-man-compressed is
grayed out because there's no file extension listed.

Old 08-19-2012, 01:30 AM

On Sat, 18 Aug 2012 18:10:01 +0300
Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 18/08/12 17:41, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> > Am Samstag, 18. August 2012, 03:51:55 schrieb Nikos Chantziaras:
> >> In KDE, I'm very used to simply type "man:foo" and have the man
> >> page of "foo" pop up immediately in Konqueror without having to
> >> open a terminal or anything.
> >>
> >> However, since I installed Chromium and making it my default
> >> browser, now "man:" brings up Chromium instead. That doesn't
> >> work; instead of displaying the man page, it downloads the *.bz2
> >> from the local file system :-/
> >>
> >> How can I set Konqueror to be the program that handles KDE's
> >> "man:" command?
> >
> > open system-settings. Open mime/applications/whatever submenu
> > (called 'Dateizuordnungen' in German).
> >
> > application-xtroff-man
> > and
> > application-xtroff-man-compressed
> >
> > should be the things you have to set. Click on 'embedded' and
> > choose KManPart
> >
> > And that it is always shown in the embedded part.
> >
> > We are talking about KDE here - not gnome. It should not be
> > necessary to fiddle with desktop files.
>
> This is already set up that way. Except that x-troff-man-compressed
> is grayed out because there's no file extension listed.

It's not greyed for me, and I just set both up that way, but KDE is
still opening man:foo with my default web browser, Firefox. KDE is
putting a decompressed copy in /var/tmp/kdecache-${username}/krun/ and
Firefox displays it ok, but I'd much rather be seeing it in Konqueror.

Old 08-19-2012, 01:48 AM
Nikos Chantziaras

[...]

It only displays it here if there's no selection page (POSIX vs Linux
version of the man page; for example, "man:longjmp").

Old 08-19-2012, 07:34 PM

On Sun, 19 Aug 2012 04:48:19 +0300
Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 19/08/12 04:30, Q wrote:
> > On Sat, 18 Aug 2012 18:10:01 +0300
> > Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> This is already set up that way. Except that
> >> x-troff-man-compressed is grayed out because there's no file
> >> extension listed.
> >
> > It's not greyed for me, and I just set both up that way, but KDE is
> > still opening man:foo with my default web browser, Firefox. KDE is
> > putting a decompressed copy in /var/tmp/kdecache-${username}/krun/
> > and Firefox displays it ok, but I'd much rather be seeing it in
> > Konqueror.
>
> It only displays it here if there's no selection page (POSIX vs Linux
> version of the man page; for example, "man:longjmp").

Ah, I see what you mean. It's the same here.