Old 08-17-2012, 12:47 PM
Allan Gottlieb

Default /usr/tmp -> /var/tmp a problem with new udev?

I realize that new udev without dracut wants /usr part of root
filesystem.

The last few gentoo installations I have done all had
/usr/tmp symlinked to /var/tmp and I don't believe I did this symlink
manually.

Will this be a problem with new udev and no dracut or are the programs
that must run early trained not to use /usr/tmp?

thanks,
allan

Old 08-20-2012, 04:51 PM
Doug Hunley

I have this symlink on a new ~amd64 install without a separate /usr
and the latest udev and have no issues at all. I don't use a initramfs
or anything on this install either. fwiw

--
Douglas J Hunley (doug.hunley@gmail.com)
Twitter: @hunleyd Web:

Old 08-20-2012, 07:01 PM
Allan Gottlieb

On Mon, Aug 20 2012, Doug Hunley wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 8:47 AM, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@nyu.edu> wrote:
>> I realize that new udev without dracut wants /usr part of root
>> filesystem.
>>
>> The last few gentoo installations I have done all had
>> /usr/tmp symlinked to /var/tmp and I don't believe I did this symlink
>> manually.
>>
>> Will this be a problem with new udev and no dracut or are the programs
>> that must run early trained not to use /usr/tmp?
>>
>> thanks,
>> allan
>>
> I have this symlink on a new ~amd64 install without a separate /usr
> and the latest udev and have no issues at all. I don't use a initramfs
> or anything on this install either. fwiw

Thank you, that is what I wanted to hear. I assume you don't run dracut
either.

allan

(PS top-posting is discouraged on this group)

Old 08-20-2012, 10:33 PM
Florian Philipp

Am 20.08.2012 21:01, schrieb Allan Gottlieb:
> On Mon, Aug 20 2012, Doug Hunley wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 8:47 AM, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@nyu.edu> wrote:
>>> I realize that new udev without dracut wants /usr part of root
>>> filesystem.
>>>
>>> The last few gentoo installations I have done all had
>>> /usr/tmp symlinked to /var/tmp and I don't believe I did this symlink
>>> manually.
>>>
>>> Will this be a problem with new udev and no dracut or are the programs
>>> that must run early trained not to use /usr/tmp?
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>> allan
>>>
>> I have this symlink on a new ~amd64 install without a separate /usr
>> and the latest udev and have no issues at all. I don't use a initramfs
>> or anything on this install either. fwiw
>
> Thank you, that is what I wanted to hear. I assume you don't run dracut
> either.
>
> allan
>
> (PS top-posting is discouraged on this group)

Are there still programs out there using that directory, anyway? I
thought /usr/tmp is mostly for compatibility with ancient Unixes. Even
in the FHS it is a "may be present" clause.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:38 PM
Doug Hunley

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 3:01 PM, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@nyu.edu> wrote:
> I assume you don't run dracut