Old 08-29-2012, 09:41 AM
Alex Schuster

Default My PC died. What should I try?

Peter Humphrey writes:

On Tuesday 28 August 2012 21:57:43 Alex Schuster wrote:

I wrote:

Well, all I can do now is to get a new board and see if things will
be okay then.

[...]
So I had to wait. And when it became available, I wondered if it
might be the processor instead that has the problem, so I let the PC
shop diagnose CPU and board. This took until today, and they
confirmed it was the board indeed, not the CPU.

Let me get this straight. The shop ran tests and concluded that the
motherboard was faulty, not the CPU?

Yes.

Fine, I bought the board

...it having been tested and found faulty!

Well, obviously not the defective board I already owned, but a new one
of the same type. Yes. Defects happen, and because one specific board
suddenly has a problem after working fine for half a year, I do not
assume that all of these boards will likely fail. And it seems to be the
only board having the features I want, at least in the price range of
about 100€. Most have two memory banks only, so I would either have to
use only 8GB out of 16 GB, or buy new RAM. And I want on-board graphics,
I do not want to buy an extra graphics adapter that needs power or has a
noisy fan. There were NVidia boards I think, but I prefer Radeon, that
finally seems to work just fine, after having lots of trouble in the
past with both NVidia and an older Radeon system.

Wonko

Old 08-29-2012, 11:09 AM
Alex Schuster

Dale writes:

Alan McKinnon wrote:

Rule #1 in dealing with odd weird strange computer faults is ALWAYS
test with another PSU of at least twice the capacity you think you need.

+1 I always start with the P/S. Well, unless I see something else
unrelated letting the smoke out. Even then tho, a bad P/S can cause the
smoke to get out of something else too. It's good advice all the way
around.

Why not let the computer shop test the P/S? If it blows up something of
theirs, it's bad. ;-)

I would have preferred to give them the whole PC, but I cannot carry
that around easily when going to work by bus and tram, so I could drop
it of the store when I leave work in the evening. It was easier to just
carry mainboard and CPU in a small bag.

Well, not really true, I gave them the hardware on Friday, and on
Saturday I could have used the car to transport the PC, but I was
somewhat busy that day, and just didn't think about the PSU frying the
board. And I had hoped that they would test the board right when I was
there on Friday, so I could leave with the new one. Or with the new CPU,
if that had turned out to be defective.

Wonko

Old 08-29-2012, 11:46 AM
Alex Schuster