-   -   Keep DPMS off? (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/694282-keep-dpms-off.html)

Grant 08-15-2012 03:31 PM

Keep DPMS off?

I'm running into a bug with xf86-video-intel and SNA that is causing X
to crash whenever I close my laptop's lid. I can prevent it if I
issue 'xset -dpms'. The problem is that xlockmore turns DPMS back on
whenever it is executed. Is there any way to prevent this or work
around it? Also, I've tried 'Option "DPMS" "false"' in xorg.conf and
'xserver-command=X -dpms' in lightdm.conf, but X always starts with
DPMS on. man xlock references "if DPMS support was compiled in" but
there is no USE flag for DPMS. Should I file a bug for that?

'xset q' (crashes):

DPMS (Energy Star):
Standby: 0 Suspend: 0 Off: 0
DPMS is Enabled
Monitor is On

'xset q' (doesn't crash):

DPMS (Energy Star):
Standby: 0 Suspend: 0 Off: 0
DPMS is Disabled

- Grant

Grant 08-15-2012 05:03 PM

Keep DPMS off?

> I'm running into a bug with xf86-video-intel and SNA that is causing X
> to crash whenever I close my laptop's lid. I can prevent it if I
> issue 'xset -dpms'. The problem is that xlockmore turns DPMS back on
> whenever it is executed. Is there any way to prevent this or work
> around it? Also, I've tried 'Option "DPMS" "false"' in xorg.conf and
> 'xserver-command=X -dpms' in lightdm.conf, but X always starts with
> DPMS on. man xlock references "if DPMS support was compiled in" but
> there is no USE flag for DPMS. Should I file a bug for that?
>
> 'xset q' (crashes):
>
> DPMS (Energy Star):
> Standby: 0 Suspend: 0 Off: 0
> DPMS is Enabled
> Monitor is On
>
> 'xset q' (doesn't crash):
>
> DPMS (Energy Star):
> Standby: 0 Suspend: 0 Off: 0
> DPMS is Disabled
>
> - Grant

It turns out xflock4 was enabling DPMS, not xlockmore. I commented
this line in /usr/bin/xflock4 and DPMS doesn't re-enable:

# xset dpms force off

Now I just need a way to disable DPMS (ie 'xset -dpms') on bootup. I
tried adding a script to /etc/local.d but it didn't work so whatever
else is enabling DPMS on bootup must be doing it after that script is
executed. Any ideas?

- Grant

Grant 08-16-2012 06:58 AM

Keep DPMS off?

>> I'm running into a bug with xf86-video-intel and SNA that is causing X
>> to crash whenever I close my laptop's lid. I can prevent it if I
>> issue 'xset -dpms'. The problem is that xlockmore turns DPMS back on
>> whenever it is executed. Is there any way to prevent this or work
>> around it? Also, I've tried 'Option "DPMS" "false"' in xorg.conf and
>> 'xserver-command=X -dpms' in lightdm.conf, but X always starts with
>> DPMS on. man xlock references "if DPMS support was compiled in" but
>> there is no USE flag for DPMS. Should I file a bug for that?
>>
>> 'xset q' (crashes):
>>
>> DPMS (Energy Star):
>> Standby: 0 Suspend: 0 Off: 0
>> DPMS is Enabled
>> Monitor is On
>>
>> 'xset q' (doesn't crash):
>>
>> DPMS (Energy Star):
>> Standby: 0 Suspend: 0 Off: 0
>> DPMS is Disabled
>>
>> - Grant
>
> It turns out xflock4 was enabling DPMS, not xlockmore. I commented
> this line in /usr/bin/xflock4 and DPMS doesn't re-enable:
>
> # xset dpms force off
>
> Now I just need a way to disable DPMS (ie 'xset -dpms') on bootup. I
> tried adding a script to /etc/local.d but it didn't work so whatever
> else is enabling DPMS on bootup must be doing it after that script is
> executed. Any ideas?
>
> - Grant

xfce4-power-manager was enabling DPMS on startup. I switched to
xfce4-battery-plugin and added 'Option "DPMS" "false"' to xorg.conf
and all is well.

- Grant