Old 08-13-2012, 09:21 AM
Hinnerk van Bruinehsen

Default Sandbox vs userpriv

Old 08-13-2012, 09:41 AM
Dale

Nilesh Govindrajan wrote:

On Aug 13, 2012 2:19 PM, "Nilesh Govindrajan" <contact@nileshgr.com>
wrote:

> What's the disadvantage of compiling in sandbox instead of
compiling directly with userpriv?

*advantage

I found this:

http://devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/sandbox/

That help any?*

Dale

:-)* :-)*

Old 08-13-2012, 12:07 PM
Michael Mol

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 4:50 AM, Nilesh Govindrajan <contact@nileshgr.com> wrote:

On Aug 13, 2012 2:19 PM, "Nilesh Govindrajan" <contact@nileshgr.com> wrote:

> What's the disadvantage of compiling in sandbox instead of compiling directly with userpriv?

*advantage

If you do things like parallel builds (-j applied to emerge, not just make), a sandbox can help keep the build environment consistent throughout a build. (And if that's not a feature that's currently in sandbox, it's one where an extension of which is being discussed in -dev right now, and being worked on by a few people.)

The other thing sandbox gives you is some protection from badly-written build systems, such as ones which go out and modify files outside of explicitly-allowed paths and the like, or try installing files before 'make install'...that kind of thing.

--
:wq

Old 08-13-2012, 01:18 PM
Nilesh Govindrajan

<contact@nileshgr.com <mailto:contact@nileshgr.com>> wrote:

On Aug 13, 2012 2:19 PM, "Nilesh Govindrajan"
<contact@nileshgr.com <mailto:contact@nileshgr.com>> wrote:

> What's the disadvantage of compiling in sandbox instead of
compiling directly with userpriv?

*advantage

If you do things like parallel builds (-j applied to emerge, not just
make), a sandbox can help keep the build environment consistent
throughout a build. (And if that's not a feature that's currently in
sandbox, it's one where an extension of which is being discussed in
-dev right now, and being worked on by a few people.)

The other thing sandbox gives you is some protection from
badly-written build systems, such as ones which go out and modify
files outside of explicitly-allowed paths and the like, or try
installing files before 'make install'...that kind of thing.

--
:wq

I see. Actually I came up with this question because dev-lang/php was
emitting some errors when I was building with sandbox enabled (I never
disabled it actually). I guess I'll enable it again and disable when
some ebuilds trouble.

--
Nilesh Govindrajan
http://nileshgr.com