Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Gentoo User (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/)
-   -   Cannot see Grub menu (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/693105-cannot-see-grub-menu.html)

Mark Knecht 08-12-2012 01:33 AM

Cannot see Grub menu
 
From Kindle so very short response for now.

1) Was this disk previously used for 32-bit?

2) For 64-bit I've always used grub-static.

Frank Steinmetzger 08-12-2012 01:41 AM

Cannot see Grub menu
 
On Sat, Aug 11, 2012 at 06:33:03PM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> From Kindle so very short response for now.
>
> 1) Was this disk previously used for 32-bit?

Yup. Well, I installed the 64 bit into a temporary partition that I created,
so I still had the working 32 bit system in case something goes wrong (and to
do some performance comparisons). At some point, I reformatted the 32 bit
partition and rsynced the 64 bit over.
--
Gru | Greetings | Qapla'
Please do not share anything from, with or about me with any Facebook service.

The whale is known for its bulky form factor.

Mark Knecht 08-12-2012 02:28 AM

Cannot see Grub menu
 
All of that is the OS, not grub which is in the MBR I think. emerge
grub-static and then do the install as per the boot loader
instructions in the manual. It will likely work fine then.

Good luck.

Dale 08-12-2012 03:10 AM

Cannot see Grub menu
 
Mark Knecht wrote:
> All of that is the OS, not grub which is in the MBR I think. emerge
> grub-static and then do the install as per the boot loader
> instructions in the manual. It will likely work fine then.
>
> Good luck.
>
>

When I did my install, I used grub-static too. I never tried the plain
one but was told it could have issues with 64 bit.

OP. The config files should be fine as far as using the old ones. Just
run the install commands again. You know, grub, root, setup etc.

Dale

:-) :-)

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!

Alex Schuster 08-12-2012 09:47 AM

Cannot see Grub menu
 
Frank Steinmetzger writes:

> So after the recent thread here about 32bit/64bit and some arguments
> from a friend, I made the switch from 32 bit to 64 bit (with a clean
> install from scratch of course). There’s one big problem I’m having: I
> cannot see the Grub (legacy) boot menu. It still functions alright,
> but I don’t see it.

Weird, I have no idea. Just want to say that I am using legacy Grub on
~amd64 just fine. Not grub-static, and the static USE flag is not set.
Never had a problem with that.

Do you use a splashimage in your grub.conf? Maybe without you will get a
working text mode Grub. Not that this should matter, but anyway.

Wonko

Alan McKinnon 08-12-2012 10:01 AM

Cannot see Grub menu
 
On Sun, 12 Aug 2012 11:47:36 +0200
Alex Schuster <wonko@wonkology.org> wrote:

> Frank Steinmetzger writes:
>
> > So after the recent thread here about 32bit/64bit and some arguments
> > from a friend, I made the switch from 32 bit to 64 bit (with a clean
> > install from scratch of course). There’s one big problem I’m
> > having: I cannot see the Grub (legacy) boot menu. It still
> > functions alright, but I don’t see it.
>
> Weird, I have no idea. Just want to say that I am using legacy Grub on
> ~amd64 just fine. Not grub-static, and the static USE flag is not set.
> Never had a problem with that.
>
> Do you use a splashimage in your grub.conf? Maybe without you will
> get a working text mode Grub. Not that this should matter, but anyway.

That's how I do it too. Plain old grub on many amd64 systems, nothing
special. I do disable splashimage too, it never seems to work for me
without using genkernel.

When grub is running and showing it's menu, the only thing active
video-wise should be good old VGA. Hard to imagine what could go wrong
with VGA in 80x25 text mode



--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com

Mick 08-12-2012 01:31 PM

Cannot see Grub menu
 
On Sunday 12 Aug 2012 11:01:59 Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Aug 2012 11:47:36 +0200
>
> Alex Schuster <wonko@wonkology.org> wrote:
> > Frank Steinmetzger writes:
> > > So after the recent thread here about 32bit/64bit and some arguments
> > > from a friend, I made the switch from 32 bit to 64 bit (with a clean
> > > install from scratch of course). There’s one big problem I’m
> > > having: I cannot see the Grub (legacy) boot menu. It still
> > > functions alright, but I don’t see it.
> >
> > Weird, I have no idea. Just want to say that I am using legacy Grub on
> > ~amd64 just fine. Not grub-static, and the static USE flag is not set.
> > Never had a problem with that.
> >
> > Do you use a splashimage in your grub.conf? Maybe without you will
> > get a working text mode Grub. Not that this should matter, but anyway.
>
> That's how I do it too. Plain old grub on many amd64 systems, nothing
> special. I do disable splashimage too, it never seems to work for me
> without using genkernel.
>
> When grub is running and showing it's menu, the only thing active
> video-wise should be good old VGA. Hard to imagine what could go wrong
> with VGA in 80x25 text mode

I have always used GRUB splashimage without genkernel and without anything
special to get it going other than the correct path in /boot/grub/grub.conf;
e.g.

default 0
timeout 30
splashimage=(hd0,9)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

--
Regards,
Mick

Michael Mol 08-12-2012 06:52 PM

Cannot see Grub menu
 
On Sat, Aug 11, 2012 at 8:09 PM, Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@gmx.de> wrote:

[snip]*
PS @Michael Mol: it is nice for you that you joined Google+ recently, but are

you aware that they scanned your address book and spammed around about it?

There are some of us who don’t want to be part of any social moloch.

No, they didn't crawl my address book, or do anything of the sort.
On Google+, I follow people who I believe (or at least suspect) to be intelligent or*knowledgeable*in technical fields. That includes everyone on the gentoo-user and gentoo-dev mailing lists; you folks are among the highest grade of computer and software geeks I've come across.

In the GMail web interface, there's a pane on the right which shows people involved in the conversation. While reading Gentoo-related threads, if I see people listed there that I haven't added to my 'Technical folk' circle, I add them. I _thought_ it was only showing people who already had Google accounts.

Apparently, that last presumption isn't true...and as a consequence, when I add people to my list-of-people-to-watch, Google sends them an invite if they don't already have Google accounts. Apologies for any spam, but understand that I have no clear way of knowing whether or not someone has a Google+ account before I add them; people who don't have them simply show up as 'this person hasn't shared anything with you.'

--*:wq

Mick 08-12-2012 07:34 PM

Cannot see Grub menu
 
On Sunday 12 Aug 2012 19:52:26 Michael Mol wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 11, 2012 at 8:09 PM, Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@gmx.de> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > PS @Michael Mol: it is nice for you that you joined Google+ recently, but
> > are
> > you aware that they scanned your address book and spammed around about
> > it? There are some of us who don’t want to be part of any social moloch.
>
> No, they didn't crawl my address book, or do anything of the sort.
>
> On Google+, I follow people who I believe (or at least suspect) to be
> intelligent or knowledgeable in technical fields. That includes everyone on
> the gentoo-user and gentoo-dev mailing lists; you folks are among the
> highest grade of computer and software geeks I've come across.
>
> In the GMail web interface, there's a pane on the right which shows people
> involved in the conversation. While reading Gentoo-related threads, if I
> see people listed there that I haven't added to my 'Technical folk' circle,
> I add them. I _thought_ it was only showing people who already had Google
> accounts.
>
> Apparently, that last presumption isn't true...and as a consequence, when I
> add people to my list-of-people-to-watch, Google sends them an invite if
> they don't already have Google accounts. Apologies for any spam, but
> understand that I have no clear way of knowing whether or not someone has a
> Google+ account before I add them; people who don't have them simply show
> up as 'this person hasn't shared anything with you.'

When I received your Google+ invite I thought that Google was taking liberties
with your actual intentions and spamming your contacts perhaps.

I do have and use a gmail account for this list, but I do not (knowingly)
partake in social websites like Google+, Buzz, Facebook & Twitter. I also
use Gtalk for IM, but as far as I know by using Gmail and Gtalk I am not
automatically subscribed to Google+ and the like.

PS. What does "people to watch" do? It sounds rather voyeuristic ... O_o
--
Regards,
Mick

Michael Mol 08-12-2012 08:06 PM

Cannot see Grub menu
 
On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 3:34 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sunday 12 Aug 2012 19:52:26 Michael Mol wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 11, 2012 at 8:09 PM, Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@gmx.de> wrote:

>

> [snip]

>

> > PS @Michael Mol: it is nice for you that you joined Google+ recently, but

> > are

> > you aware that they scanned your address book and spammed around about

> > it? There are some of us who don’t want to be part of any social moloch.

>

> No, they didn't crawl my address book, or do anything of the sort.

>

> On Google+, I follow people who I believe (or at least suspect) to be

> intelligent or knowledgeable in technical fields. That includes everyone on

> the gentoo-user and gentoo-dev mailing lists; you folks are among the

> highest grade of computer and software geeks I've come across.

>

> In the GMail web interface, there's a pane on the right which shows people

> involved in the conversation. While reading Gentoo-related threads, if I

> see people listed there that I haven't added to my 'Technical folk' circle,

> I add them. I _thought_ it was only showing people who already had Google

> accounts.

>

> Apparently, that last presumption isn't true...and as a consequence, when I

> add people to my list-of-people-to-watch, Google sends them an invite if

> they don't already have Google accounts. Apologies for any spam, but

> understand that I have no clear way of knowing whether or not someone has a

> Google+ account before I add them; people who don't have them simply show

> up as 'this person hasn't shared anything with you.'



When I received your Google+ invite I thought that Google was taking liberties

with your actual intentions and spamming your contacts perhaps.



I do have and use a gmail account for this list, but I do not (knowingly)

partake in social websites like Google+, Buzz, *Facebook & Twitter. *I also

use Gtalk for IM, but as far as I know by using Gmail and Gtalk I am not

automatically subscribed to Google+ and the like.

The whole situation is muddy, and I'm not always sure I understand it myself.
If you have an account with any Google service, you have a 'Google Account' which you can use to sign into any other Google service. At one point, simply having this account meant you were also on Google+, Google Docs, etc. More recently, though, it seems that a first visit to any of these services is required in order to activate that service on your Google account. (This only became clear to me recently, as a new client uses Google Apps for Domains, which means I now have a Google account for personal use, and a Google account tied to that client. It's strange.)

It used to be, you only had a Google account if you had a GMail account...but they've since enabled tying Google accounts to other email addresses.*



PS. *What does "people to watch" do? *It sounds rather voyeuristic ... *O_o

Here's how I understand it, currently:
If you have Google+ enabled on your Google account, just about anything you might do that involves Google becomes eligible for sharing. By default, almost nothing you do is visible to anybody; you have to explicitly make things visible to people, or otherwise modify defaults in settings somewhere. AFAIK, the only things that are public by default are the '+1' buttons sprinkled everywhere, and the 'Like' buttons associated with Youtube videos.

Places I frequently see 'share this' options associated with Google are:* Youtube videos* Google Reader (+1 and 'share this' replaced 'like' and 'share with friends')
* The "+ Share" box at the top right corner of all Google pages.
In short, I only see stuff you guys do if you explicitly choose to make it public. (Or if you create a 'circle' of whitelisted individuals you can make specific things viewable to.)

--
:wq


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:47 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.