Old 08-12-2012, 10:52 PM
Frank Steinmetzger

Default Cannot see Grub menu

On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 02:31:07PM +0100, Mick wrote:

> > > […]
> > > Do you use a splashimage in your grub.conf? Maybe without you will
> > > get a working text mode Grub. Not that this should matter, but anyway.

Yes, I used to use a self-made spash image; it shows a Windows-Logo-like
stickers saying "Windows Vista incapable" with a Tux in it.

Anyways, the file was missing, so I commented out the line, but to no avail.
I tried a temporary grub.conf with the bare essentials (just one entry), and
it didn't help either.

Booting the same disk in qemu yields the same thing. So I gather it must be
some borkage in grub itself. Perhaps I could try an older version, there are
so many available right now.

> > When grub is running and showing it's menu, the only thing active
---------------------------------------^
*cough* *wink wink*

> I have always used GRUB splashimage without genkernel and without anything
> special to get it going other than the correct path in /boot/grub/grub.conf;
> e.g.
>
> default 0
> timeout 30
> splashimage=(hd0,9)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

That's the way I used to too also. Very strange this all...
--
Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
Please do not share anything from, with or about me with any Facebook service.

Feed your children with garlic, then you will find them in the dark.

Old 08-12-2012, 11:08 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 00:52:32 +0200
Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@gmx.de> wrote:

> > > When grub is running and showing it's menu, the only thing
> > > active
> ---------------------------------------^
> *cough* *wink wink*

<blush>

damn, I got that one the wrong way round. again.

</blush>

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com

Old 08-12-2012, 11:14 PM
Dale

Frank Steinmetzger wrote:

> Yes, I used to use a self-made spash image; it shows a Windows-Logo-like
> stickers saying "Windows Vista incapable" with a Tux in it.
>
> Anyways, the file was missing, so I commented out the line, but to no avail.
> I tried a temporary grub.conf with the bare essentials (just one entry), and
> it didn't help either.
>
> Booting the same disk in qemu yields the same thing. So I gather it must be
> some borkage in grub itself. Perhaps I could try an older version, there are
> so many available right now.
>
>>> When grub is running and showing it's menu, the only thing active
> ---------------------------------------^
> *cough* *wink wink*
>
>> I have always used GRUB splashimage without genkernel and without anything
>> special to get it going other than the correct path in /boot/grub/grub.conf;
>> e.g.
>>
>> default 0
>> timeout 30
>> splashimage=(hd0,9)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> That's the way I used to too also. Very strange this all...

Just a thought. Could it be that the text and the background is the
same color? If you put white text on a white background, all you see is
white which looks blank, empty or whatever you want to call it.

Otherwise, I'm clueless. It's OK. I'm used to being clueless. lol

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 08-13-2012, 01:43 AM
Peter Humphrey

On Monday 13 August 2012 00:08:16 Alan McKinnon wrote:

> > ---------------------------------------^
> > *cough* *wink wink*
>
> damn, I got that one the wrong way round. again.

It's easy enough: "its" = "belonging to it"; "it's" = "it is/was/has".
The apostrophe denotes a missing letter or two, not possession.

Hmm. Maybe it isn't so simple after all if you don't know it. It just
seems simple to me since it's what I was taught 60-odd years ago and
it's stuck.

It seems to me that most people (especially those not of these shores)
use "it's" in every case, just in case. If you see what I mean.

--
Rgds
Peter

Old 08-13-2012, 08:03 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 02:43:44 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:

> It's easy enough: "its" = "belonging to it"; "it's" = "it is/was/has".
> The apostrophe denotes a missing letter or two, not possession.

The confusion arises because, when used with a name, an apostrophe is
needed for a possessive. Of course, if you refer to everyone as "it",
the confusion disappears

It is an understandable error, unlike grocers' apostrophe's, which crop
up everywhere and are far more grating for me.

--
Neil Bothwick

Don't let your mind wander, it's too little to be let out alone.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:18 AM
Hinnerk van Bruinehsen

Old 08-13-2012, 11:21 AM
Michael Hampicke

> As far as I recall the issues are with 64 bit nomultilib only. I think
> I used grub-legacy on amd64 multilib without issues, though I'm not
> sure since I use grub2 since 1.98 came out (without issues, by the way)

You are correct. On a no-multilib 64 bit system you cannot compile
grub:1 - you must use grub-static or grub:2

Old 08-13-2012, 05:43 PM
Frank Steinmetzger

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 09:03:38AM +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 02:43:44 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:
>
> > It's easy enough: "its" = "belonging to it"; "it's" = "it is/was/has".
> > The apostrophe denotes a missing letter or two, not possession.
>
> The confusion arises because, when used with a name, an apostrophe is
> needed for a possessive. Of course, if you refer to everyone as "it",
> the confusion disappears

The proper posessive analogy here would be “her” and, of course, “his”.

I guess the only reason why I'm so observant of such things is because I had
to learn it from scratch starting at about 12 at school. Native speakers do
as they are used to from earliest childhood. It wasn't different with me and
my native tongue. $deiety, when I look at the stuff that I wrote as a child…
--
Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
Please do not share anything from, with or about me with any Facebook service.

Signatures are being revised, we apologise for any inconvenience.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:46 PM
Frank Steinmetzger

On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 06:14:11PM -0500, Dale wrote:

> >> I have always used GRUB splashimage without genkernel and without anything
> >> special to get it going other than the correct path in /boot/grub/grub.conf;
> >> e.g.
> >>
> >> default 0
> >> timeout 30
> >> splashimage=(hd0,9)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> > That's the way I used to too also. Very strange this all...
>

> Just a thought. Could it be that the text and the background is the
> same color? If you put white text on a white background, all you see is
> white which looks blank, empty or whatever you want to call it.

No, because the original text “Loading Grub from Harddisk” and “Loading stage
1.5” don’t disappear. But you know what -- I just tested again in qemu (to
read the text output so that I can write it here). And lo!, the menu finally
appeared. Let’s see then what the next reboot will bring.
--
Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
Please do not share anything from, with or about me with any Facebook service.

The duration of a minute is relative.
It depends on the side of the toilet door you are standing on.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:31 PM
Mick

On Monday 13 Aug 2012 18:46:22 Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 06:14:11PM -0500, Dale wrote:

> > Just a thought. Could it be that the text and the background is the
> > same color? If you put white text on a white background, all you see is
> > white which looks blank, empty or whatever you want to call it.
>
> No, because the original text “Loading Grub from Harddisk” and “Loading
> stage 1.5” don’t disappear. But you know what -- I just tested again in
> qemu (to read the text output so that I can write it here). And lo!, the
> menu finally appeared. Let’s see then what the next reboot will bring.

What, without changing anything in your system? O_o

Could it be a hardware problem then?
Mick