Old 08-09-2012, 02:46 AM
"Walter Dnes"

Default Getting apvlv running (My "excellent adventure")

Earlier this year, my ISP changed their billing notification emails
from application/pdf to application/octet-stream. Trying to view it
from mutt showed binary gobbledygook. After some flailing around, I
found out that I had to put an entry into .mailcap, namely...

application/octet-stream; mimeopen %s

When I tried to open a pdf file from mutt, I got a text dialogue
asking me which program to use. I chose /usr/bin/epdfview, and mutt has
used that as the default ever since.

Now epdfview is masked for removal in a few weeks. apvlv is the
recommended lightweight alternative. After some screwing around and
discovering an obscure bug in the apvlv ebuild, I finally got apvlv up
and running. You ***MUST*** build poppler with USE="xpdf-headers", or
else the apvlv ebuild dies. I reported the bug, and the apvlv ebuild
now should check for app-text/poppler[xpf-headers].

I emerged and ran rox-mime-editor and have no clue what to do to
change from epdfview to apvlv. There are no man or info files for
rox-mime-editor. Is there a better alternative mime-editor?

As a heavy-handed solution, I searched for the string "epdfview" in
~/.local. In ~/.local/share/applications/defaults.list I found an entry
for pdf using epdfview. I zapped that line, and tried reading the pdf
in mutt. I got the text dialogue again, and specified /usr/bin/apvlv.
mutt now uses it all the time for pdf files. In contrast, Firefox is
much easier, with a dialogue for applications.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

Old 08-09-2012, 12:06 PM

Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org> [12-08-09 05:11]:
> Earlier this year, my ISP changed their billing notification emails
> from application/pdf to application/octet-stream. Trying to view it
> from mutt showed binary gobbledygook. After some flailing around, I
> found out that I had to put an entry into .mailcap, namely...
>
> application/octet-stream; mimeopen %s
>
> When I tried to open a pdf file from mutt, I got a text dialogue
> asking me which program to use. I chose /usr/bin/epdfview, and mutt has
> used that as the default ever since.
>
> Now epdfview is masked for removal in a few weeks. apvlv is the
> recommended lightweight alternative. After some screwing around and
> discovering an obscure bug in the apvlv ebuild, I finally got apvlv up
> and running. You ***MUST*** build poppler with USE="xpdf-headers", or
> else the apvlv ebuild dies. I reported the bug, and the apvlv ebuild
> now should check for app-text/poppler[xpf-headers].
>
> I emerged and ran rox-mime-editor and have no clue what to do to
> change from epdfview to apvlv. There are no man or info files for
> rox-mime-editor. Is there a better alternative mime-editor?
>
> As a heavy-handed solution, I searched for the string "epdfview" in
> ~/.local. In ~/.local/share/applications/defaults.list I found an entry
> for pdf using epdfview. I zapped that line, and tried reading the pdf
> in mutt. I got the text dialogue again, and specified /usr/bin/apvlv.
> mutt now uses it all the time for pdf files. In contrast, Firefox is
> much easier, with a dialogue for applications.
>
> --
> Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

Hi Walter,

thanks for the hints!
Now apvlv works for me...

Best regards,
mcc

Old 08-09-2012, 01:07 PM
Raffaele BELARDI

On 08/09/2012 02:06 PM, meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
> Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org> [12-08-09 05:11]:
>> Now epdfview is masked for removal in a few weeks. apvlv is the
>> recommended lightweight alternative. After some screwing around and
>> discovering an obscure bug in the apvlv ebuild, I finally got apvlv up
>> and running. You ***MUST*** build poppler with USE="xpdf-headers", or
>> else the apvlv ebuild dies. I reported the bug, and the apvlv ebuild
>> now should check for app-text/poppler[xpf-headers].
>>

> Hi Walter,
>
> thanks for the hints!
> Now apvlv works for me...

Strange, I didn't have to add that USE for apvlv to build.
Looks like it should be pulled in by the ebuild:

$ grep xpdf-headers /usr/portage/app-text/poppler/poppler-0.20.2-r1.ebuild
IUSE="cairo cjk curl cxx debug doc +introspection jpeg jpeg2k +lcms png
qt4 tiff +utils +xpdf-headers"

From man 5 ebuild:
IUSE This should be a list of any and all USE flags that are leveraged
within your build script. ... Beginning with EAPI 1, it is possible
to prefix flags with + or - in order to create default settings that
respectively enable or disable the corresponding USE flags.

But it did not work for you so probably there is a bug somewhere.

raf

Old 08-10-2012, 12:00 AM
"Walter Dnes"

On Thu, Aug 09, 2012 at 03:07:38PM +0200, Raffaele BELARDI wrote

> Strange, I didn't have to add that USE for apvlv to build.
> Looks like it should be pulled in by the ebuild:
>
> $ grep xpdf-headers /usr/portage/app-text/poppler/poppler-0.20.2-r1.ebuild
> IUSE="cairo cjk curl cxx debug doc +introspection jpeg jpeg2k +lcms png
> qt4 tiff +utils +xpdf-headers"
>
> >From man 5 ebuild:
> IUSE This should be a list of any and all USE flags that are leveraged
> within your build script. ... Beginning with EAPI 1, it is possible
> to prefix flags with + or - in order to create default settings that
> respectively enable or disable the corresponding USE flags.
>
> But it did not work for you so probably there is a bug somewhere.

"IUSE" is "Inherited USE". The "bug", if you want to call it that, is
that I start my USE variable with "-*", which overrides default
settings. The bugfix is to make app-text/poppler[xpdf-headers]
mandatory for the apvlv ebuild. In that case, the ebuild will halt with
an error message stating that app-text/poppler[xpdf-headers] is needed.
This beats the ebuild compile dying with a message about missing files.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>