Old 04-13-2008, 09:39 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

Default Cups not seeing a wireless host

This is the third in a series of at least 3 cries for help, each on a separate sub-part of my goal of making sense of cups, lpd and Windows Vista.

I have a cups server on my gentoo system, and it serves its own jobs and those of a WinXP host that's on my LAN.* The XP host is set up to use the Gentoo system as an LPD server, using the drivers I loaded off the XP install CD.

So far, so good, although parts 1 and 2 (previous posts) show that it's not perfect.

What I want now is to let my wife's Windows Vista* laptop use the printer.* I've seen how to set up an LPD printer in Vista, and it's a bit easier than it was in XP.* However, it does not work at all -- I cannot print a test page.* The Vista box seems to think everything's fine, but nothing

happens at the printer.

The Vista machine is connected via wireless to my LAN,* where CUPS is working, and where a NAT router also gives access to the wider
internet.* It seems that this should work,* but it does not.

Help?

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 04-13-2008, 10:19 PM
Willie Wong

On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 02:39:09PM -0700, Penguin Lover Kevin O'Gorman squawked:
> What I want now is to let my wife's Windows Vista laptop use the printer.
> I've seen how to set up an LPD printer in Vista, and it's a bit easier than
> it was in XP. However, it does not work at all -- I cannot print a test
> page. The Vista box seems to think everything's fine, but nothing
> happens at the printer.
>
> The Vista machine is connected via wireless to my LAN, where CUPS is
> working, and where a NAT router also gives access to the wider
> internet. It seems that this should work, but it does not.

So, something got lost somewhere between your vista box and your cups
server, eh? Some logs would be nice. (On vista, open up the print
queue, and see if there are any errors; on gentoo, give us
/var/log/cups/, preferably trimmed to show just before you tried to
send a print job from the laptop and just after.)

What do John the Baptist and Kermit the Frog have in common?
Their middle name.
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 492 days, 20:51

Old 04-15-2008, 02:50 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

On 4/13/08, Willie Wong <wwong@princeton.edu> wrote:
On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 02:39:09PM -0700, Penguin Lover Kevin O'Gorman squawked:

> What I want now is to let my wife's Windows Vista**laptop use the printer.
> I've seen how to set up an LPD printer in Vista, and it's a bit easier than

> it was in XP.**However, it does not work at all -- I cannot print a test
> page.**The Vista box seems to think everything's fine, but nothing
> happens at the printer.
>
> The Vista machine is connected via wireless to my LAN,**where CUPS is

> working, and where a NAT router also gives access to the wider
> internet.**It seems that this should work,**but it does not.

So, something got lost somewhere between your vista box and your cups

server, eh? Some logs would be nice. (On vista, open up the print
queue, and see if there are any errors; on gentoo, give us
/var/log/cups/, preferably trimmed to show just before you tried to
send a print job from the laptop and just after.)

On vista, it pops up a dialog saying a test page has been sent.* I don't see any
queued jobs for this.

On cups/gentoo, there's no sign of activity.* The logs don't add a single line, even with logging set to "debug".

Right now I'm trying to clean up the configuration.* The logs for startup show some problems with ports which I'm having some trouble deciphering.* I only get a few minutes per day to work on this, so it goes slowly.

++ kevin

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD