Old 04-13-2008, 09:28 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

Default Webmin not accepting root logins

This is the second in a series of at least 3 cries for help, each on a separate sub-part of my goal of making sense of cups, lpd and Windows Vista.

I'm trying to use webmin to look at CUPS administration.* I've done it before, but now my attempt to log in has failied, and done so with such

persistence that webmin now says "Error - Access denied for 127.0.0.1. The host has been blocked because of too many authentication failures."

I was trying both my regular user login and my root login.* Neither one worked.

The obvious questions:
*1) Should I have used some other login?* I don't remember setting up anything else.
*2) Can I undo the lock out?
*3) Can I enable an account that I'm likely to remember?

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 04-14-2008, 09:11 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Sunday 13 April 2008, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> This is the second in a series of at least 3 cries for help, each on
> a separate sub-part of my goal of making sense of cups, lpd and
> Windows Vista.
>
> I'm trying to use webmin to look at CUPS administration.

I would not recommend this route, as I do not trust Webmin to not
obliterate my various configs. The CUPS front end is much better, it is
found on the CUPS server at port 631 from your browser. If memory
serves, your regular root password should work just fine

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 04-14-2008, 08:03 PM
Mick

On Monday 14 April 2008, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Sunday 13 April 2008, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> > This is the second in a series of at least 3 cries for help, each on
> > a separate sub-part of my goal of making sense of cups, lpd and
> > Windows Vista.
> >
> > I'm trying to use webmin to look at CUPS administration.
>
> I would not recommend this route, as I do not trust Webmin to not
> obliterate my various configs. The CUPS front end is much better, it is
> found on the CUPS server at port 631 from your browser. If memory
> serves, your regular root password should work just fine

It's been some years now and can't remember if webmin has its own root account
(different from the OS root account). Have you tried login with root as the
username and your normal user passwd?

I also can't remember what the CUPS interface was on webmin, but what Alan
suggests above has always worked for me (once I manage to get the right path
for the printer).

HTH.
Mick

Old 04-14-2008, 09:55 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

On 4/14/08, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:
On Monday 14 April 2008, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Sunday 13 April 2008, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> > This is the second in a series of at least 3 cries for help, each on
> > a separate sub-part of my goal of making sense of cups, lpd and

> > Windows Vista.
> >
> > I'm trying to use webmin to look at CUPS administration.
>
> I would not recommend this route, as I do not trust Webmin to not
> obliterate my various configs. The CUPS front end is much better, it is

> found on the CUPS server at port 631 from your browser. If memory
> serves, your regular root password should work just fine

It's been some years now and can't remember if webmin has its own root account

(different from the OS root account).**Have you tried login with root as the
username and your normal user passwd?

I also can't remember what the CUPS interface was on webmin, but what Alan
suggests above has always worked for me (once I manage to get the right path

for the printer).
The 631 port is working for me.* What's odd is that I cannot get the stalled jobs to
print.* This evening I'll turn debugging on and try again.* Info to follow...

++ kevin

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 04-14-2008, 10:12 PM
Dale

Mick wrote:

It's been some years now and can't remember if webmin has its own root account
(different from the OS root account). Have you tried login with root as the
username and your normal user passwd?

I also can't remember what the CUPS interface was on webmin, but what Alan
suggests above has always worked for me (once I manage to get the right path
for the printer).

HTH.

I just tried it on mine and the systems root password works fine here.
I had to figure out where they hid cups tho. Search tool helped find it.

Does one have to use webmin to access cups? I always go to it directly,
port 631 that is.

Dale