FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-07-2012, 07:34 AM
Neil Bothwick
 
Default Single user mode without keyboard ?

On Tue, 7 Aug 2012 06:56:31 +0200, meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:

> Now, I can enter the grub and add an "S" to the commandline
> and boot the kernel by pressing "B".
>
> When the kernel asks for the root password, the keyboard is
> no longer recognized. No chance other than to press the
> power button.

Are CONFIG_HID and CONFIG_USB_HID both enabled, and not built as modules?


--
Neil Bothwick

without C people would code in Basi, Pasal and Obol
 
Old 08-07-2012, 08:39 AM
 
Default Single user mode without keyboard ?

Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> [12-08-07 10:29]:
> On Tue, 7 Aug 2012 06:56:31 +0200, meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
>
> > Now, I can enter the grub and add an "S" to the commandline
> > and boot the kernel by pressing "B".
> >
> > When the kernel asks for the root password, the keyboard is
> > no longer recognized. No chance other than to press the
> > power button.
>
> Are CONFIG_HID and CONFIG_USB_HID both enabled, and not built as modules?
>
>
> --
> Neil Bothwick
>
> without C people would code in Basi, Pasal and Obol

Hi Neil,

yes they are...
It works before (same kernel) so something different must have
changed.
Is there any order of scripts under /etc, which may have resorted
while updateing Gentoo?

Best regards,
mcc
 
Old 08-07-2012, 09:27 AM
Dale
 
Default Single user mode without keyboard ?

meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:




Hi Neil,

yes they are...
It works before (same kernel) so something different must have
changed.
Is there any order of scripts under /etc, which may have resorted
while updateing Gentoo?

Best regards,
mcc





Someone else ran into this a few weeks or so ago.* Did you see this?



* HID support
*
HID bus support (HID) [Y/?] y
/dev/hidraw raw HID device support (HIDRAW) [Y/n/?] y
Generic HID driver (HID_GENERIC) [Y/n/m/?] (NEW) ?

CONFIG_HID_GENERIC:

Support for generic devices on the HID bus. This includes most
keyboards and mice, joysticks, tablets and digitizers.

To compile this driver as a module, choose M here: the module
will be called hid-generic.

If unsure, say Y.

Symbol: HID_GENERIC [=y]
Type : tristate
Prompt: Generic HID driver
Defined at drivers/hid/Kconfig:56
Depends on: INPUT [=y] && HID [=y]
Location:
-> Device Drivers
-> HID support
-> HID bus support (HID [=y])



Generic HID driver (HID_GENERIC) [Y/n/m/?] (NEW)


This fixed the other persons problem. That is from make oldconfig. I almost missed it myself but hit the "?" key just to make sure. I think it really needs to be built into the kernel instead of as a module.

Hope that helps. If not, we'll have to find something else. ;-)

Dale



:-)* :-)*

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!
 
Old 08-07-2012, 10:15 AM
 
Default Single user mode without keyboard ?

Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> [12-08-07 11:44]:
> meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
> > Hi Neil,
> >
> > yes they are...
> > It works before (same kernel) so something different must have
> > changed.
> > Is there any order of scripts under /etc, which may have resorted
> > while updateing Gentoo?
> >
> > Best regards,
> > mcc
> >
>
> Someone else ran into this a few weeks or so ago. Did you see this?
>
> * HID support
> *
> HID bus support (HID) [Y/?] y
> /dev/hidraw raw HID device support (HIDRAW) [Y/n/?] y
> Generic HID driver (HID_GENERIC) [Y/n/m/?] (NEW) ?
>
> CONFIG_HID_GENERIC:
>
> Support for generic devices on the HID bus. This includes most
> keyboards and mice, joysticks, tablets and digitizers.
>
> To compile this driver as a module, choose M here: the module
> will be called hid-generic.
>
> If unsure, say Y.
>
> Symbol: HID_GENERIC [=y]
> Type : tristate
> Prompt: Generic HID driver
> Defined at drivers/hid/Kconfig:56
> Depends on: INPUT [=y] && HID [=y]
> Location:
> -> Device Drivers
> -> HID support
> -> HID bus support (HID [=y])
>
>
>
> Generic HID driver (HID_GENERIC) [Y/n/m/?] (NEW)
>
>
> This fixed the other persons problem. That is from make oldconfig. I almost missed it myself but hit the "?" key just to make sure. I think it really needs to be built into the kernel instead of as a module.
>
> Hope that helps. If not, we'll have to find something else. ;-)
>
> Dale
>
> :-) :-)
>
> --
> I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!
>

Hi Dale,

TADA! CONFIG_HIDRAW was missing in my .config. Now it works again!
Thank yoy very much for your help! )

Best regards,
mcc
 
Old 08-07-2012, 11:26 AM
Dale
 
Default Single user mode without keyboard ?

meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
>
> Hi Dale,
>
> TADA! CONFIG_HIDRAW was missing in my .config. Now it works again!
> Thank yoy very much for your help! )
>
> Best regards,
> mcc
>
>

This is something new. You are not the first to miss it and I almost
did myself. Just shear luck on my part. I just wonder if the devs
should do some sort of new alert on this.

Glad to help.

Dale

:-) :-)

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:42 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org