Old 08-10-2012, 05:24 PM
Philip Webb

Default kernels & swap usage

120810 Michael Mol wrote:
> On Aug 10, 2012 at 11:27 AM, Florian Philipp <lists@binarywings.net>wrote:
>> The latest thing of any significance I can think of
>> is the removal of lumpy reclaim in 3.4
>> which has something to do with reducing memory fragmentation
>> in systems under memory stress. LWN has a subscriber-only article
>> about the change causing performance regressions.
>> I doubt it could cause an improvement in this particular situation.

On my system, swapping was eliminated after installing Kernel 3.4.0 .

> I honestly think anyone having difficulties with swap should check out
> the vm.swappiness sysctl before looking anywhere else.
> Setting it to 0 is much like removing swap,
> except you still have the swap space if you actually need it.
> On my work laptop, it looks like it defaults to a value of 60.

For some years, I have set swappiness at 10 .

My best guess after the various comments (thanks)
is that it resulted from the code clean-up in Libre Office
& that my memory was faulty in believing it had also happened with Firefox.
It shouldn't have happened previously, as I have 4 GB RAM
& lots of temporary disk space for Portage to use.

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb