Old 08-06-2012, 04:51 AM

Default Gentoo on a Beaglebone

Hi,

here:
http://dev.gentoo.org/~armin76/arm/beaglebone/install.xml

I found a description how to setup a Gentoo for a Beaglebone,
an Cortex A8 Linux platform.

When I did:
crossdev -S armv7a-unknown-linux-gnueabi

I got this message:
/root>crossdev -S armv7a-unknown-linux-gnueabi
* crossdev version: 20120531
* Host Portage ARCH: amd64
* Target Portage ARCH: arm
* Target System: armv7a-unknown-linux-gnueabi
* Stage: 4 (C/C++ compiler)
* ABIs: default

* binutils: binutils-[stable]
* gcc: gcc-[stable]
* headers: linux-headers-[stable]
* libc: glibc-[stable]

* CROSSDEV_OVERLAY: /var/lib/layman/pro-audio
* PORT_LOGDIR: /var/log/portage
* PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT:
* Portage flags:
_ - ~ - _ - ~ - _ - ~ - _ - ~ - _ - ~ - _ - ~ - _ - ~ - _ - ~ - _ - ~ -

* please convert /etc/portage/package.keywords to a directory <<<!!!<<<
* If you file a bug, please attach the following logfiles:
* /var/log/portage/cross-armv7a-unknown-linux-gnueabi-info.log

What is meant with "please convert /etc/portage/package.keywords to a directory"
What will happen to the contents of that file? What is the name of the directory
to create? How can I fix that?

Best regards,
mcc

Old 08-06-2012, 06:47 AM
Bryan Gardiner

On August 6, 2012 06:51:41 AM meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:

> What is meant with "please convert /etc/portage/package.keywords to a
> directory" What will happen to the contents of that file? What is the name
> of the directory to create? How can I fix that?
>
> Thank you very much in advance for any help!
> Best regards,
> mcc

package.keywords can be a directory instead of a file, in which case the "file"
that ends up getting used is the concatenation of all of the files in the
directory. It lets you split your keywords up rather than having one large
monolithic file. In my case:

$ ll /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords/
total 28
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4314 Apr 22 12:42 eclipse-3.7
-rw-r--r-- 1 khumba khumba 8739 Aug 1 23:56 kde-4.9.keywords.2012-08-01
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3999 Aug 2 23:11 mine

The KDE file for example is provided on the Gentoo KDE page for unmasking all
of the files necessary for KDE 4.9, and you don't have to merge it into your
personal keywords file. You have to be careful not to leave any xxx~ backup
files in the directory, because they count as well.

The same applies to package.use. The new style is for the file/directory to be
called package.accept_keywords. There's more info in "man 5 portage".

Cheers,
Bryan

Old 08-06-2012, 07:15 AM
Daniel Wagener

On Sun, 05 Aug 2012 23:47:01 -0700
Bryan Gardiner <bog@khumba.net> wrote:

> On August 6, 2012 06:51:41 AM meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
> >
> > What is meant with "please convert /etc/portage/package.keywords to a
> > directory" What will happen to the contents of that file? What is the name
> > of the directory to create? How can I fix that?
> >
> > Thank you very much in advance for any help!
> > Best regards,
> > mcc
>
> package.keywords can be a directory instead of a file, in which case the "file"
> that ends up getting used is the concatenation of all of the files in the
> directory.

Which also means, that moving the old file in there would also work.
Though that is somehow against the idea of it…

Old 08-06-2012, 07:45 AM

Bryan Gardiner <bog@khumba.net> [12-08-06 09:24]:
> On August 6, 2012 06:51:41 AM meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
> >
> > What is meant with "please convert /etc/portage/package.keywords to a
> > directory" What will happen to the contents of that file? What is the name
> > of the directory to create? How can I fix that?
> >
> > Thank you very much in advance for any help!
> > Best regards,
> > mcc
>
> package.keywords can be a directory instead of a file, in which case the "file"
> that ends up getting used is the concatenation of all of the files in the
> directory. It lets you split your keywords up rather than having one large
> monolithic file. In my case:
>
> $ ll /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords/
> total 28
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4314 Apr 22 12:42 eclipse-3.7
> -rw-r--r-- 1 khumba khumba 8739 Aug 1 23:56 kde-4.9.keywords.2012-08-01
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3999 Aug 2 23:11 mine
>
> The KDE file for example is provided on the Gentoo KDE page for unmasking all
> of the files necessary for KDE 4.9, and you don't have to merge it into your
> personal keywords file. You have to be careful not to leave any xxx~ backup
> files in the directory, because they count as well.
>
> The same applies to package.use. The new style is for the file/directory to be
> called package.accept_keywords. There's more info in "man 5 portage".
>
> Cheers,
> Bryan

Hi Bryan,

thank you for your help and explanations!

Best regards,
mcc

Old 08-07-2012, 05:46 AM
"Walter Dnes"

On Sun, Aug 05, 2012 at 11:47:01PM -0700, Bryan Gardiner wrote

> package.keywords can be a directory instead of a file, in which case the "file"
> that ends up getting used is the concatenation of all of the files in the
> directory. It lets you split your keywords up rather than having one large
> monolithic file. In my case:
>
> $ ll /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords/
> total 28
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4314 Apr 22 12:42 eclipse-3.7
> -rw-r--r-- 1 khumba khumba 8739 Aug 1 23:56 kde-4.9.keywords.2012-08-01
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3999 Aug 2 23:11 mine
>
> The KDE file for example is provided on the Gentoo KDE page for unmasking all
> of the files necessary for KDE 4.9, and you don't have to merge it into your
> personal keywords file. You have to be careful not to leave any xxx~ backup
> files in the directory, because they count as well.
>
> The same applies to package.use. The new style is for the file/directory to be
> called package.accept_keywords. There's more info in "man 5 portage".

Are the package.use files additive? I.e. if one use file has
app-fu/bar flag1
and another use file has
app-fu/bar flag2
is that equivalant to one combined use file with
app-fu/bar flag1 flag2

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

Old 08-07-2012, 05:58 AM
Bryan Gardiner

On August 7, 2012 01:46:30 AM Walter Dnes wrote:
> Are the package.use files additive? I.e. if one use file has
> app-fu/bar flag1
> and another use file has
> app-fu/bar flag2
> is that equivalant to one combined use file with
> app-fu/bar flag1 flag2

They are, just as you can list a package multiple times in a single file, which
makes make Portage's autounmask rules work easily.

The relevant part of "man portage" is under /etc/portage/:

> Any file in this directory that begins with "package." can be more than just
a flat file. If it is a directory, then all the files in that directory will be
sorted in ascending alphabetical order by file name and summed together as if
it were a single file.

Cheers,
Bryan