Old 08-05-2012, 12:45 PM
Dale

Default Want to seriously test a NEW hard drive

Howdy,

I finally got me a 3Tb drive on the way. Should be here Wednesday. I
have seen some reviews where it would not work right. I think some of
it may be BIOS related since some BIOS's don't like drives that large.
Anyway, I want to test this thing real good to really make sure it is up
to the task before putting my data on it. It's going to be so much
data, there is really no way to do back-ups at this point. Come on, 2
to 3Tbs on 4Gb DVDs. Really? lol Maybe a external drive later on but
for now, well.

I have heard of bonnie and friends. I also think dd could do some
testing too. Is there any other way to give this a good work and see if
it holds up? Oh, helpful hints with Bonnie would be great too. I have
never used it before. Maybe someone has some test that is really brutal.

Thanks

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 08-05-2012, 12:53 PM
Mark Knecht

On Kindle so hard to answer in depth. What about smartctl??? Let the
drive test itself.