Old 04-13-2008, 05:17 PM
Grant

Default NAT alternatives (nf_conntrack kernel panics)

My Gentoo router kernel panics with an skb_over_panic message when
Netfilter connection tracking (nf_conntrack) is built into the kernel
or built as a module and I start net.ath0 (madwifi-ng) in master mode.
I've tried hardened-2.6.23, hardened-2.6.24, madwifi-0.9.3.3, and
madwifi-0.9.4.

nf_conntrack seems to be required in order for NAT to work, so I've
been looking for alternatives. I found mention of "Fast NAT" and
"nf_nat", both of which are supposed to be alternatives to
nf_conntrack, but maybe they are no longer existent because I can not
Google specifics on either and I can't find them in the kernel.

I've put 16 or so hours into this so far so I'll head to Staples for a
temporary Linksys soon. I sure would like to have Gentoo routing
though. Please let me know if you have any ideas.

- Grant