Old 04-13-2008, 04:38 PM
Florian Philipp

Default Garbage in /tmp or /var/tmp

Hi list!

Due to disk space restrictions I've decided to make /tmp a symlink
to /var/tmp instead of reserving space for both. Maybe it would have
been wiser to make /tmp a symlink to a dedicated directory in /var/tmp
but now it's too late.

Anyway, now I've found /var/tmp crowded with thousands of files with six
letters long nonsensical names like "6mtgWC" or "bOaiA0" each 4.9 kB
big. "file" identifies them as "TrueType font data". They all belong to
my user.

Now I'm wondering where they come from, (maybe OOo, Epdfview or
Acroread?), and if I can I safely remove them.

By the way, does anyone know whether tracker writes to /tmp or /var/tmp?

Thanks in advance!

Florian Philipp

Old 04-13-2008, 05:07 PM
Steven Lembark

> Due to disk space restrictions I've decided to make /tmp a symlink
> to /var/tmp instead of reserving space for both. Maybe it would have
> been wiser to make /tmp a symlink to a dedicated directory in /var/tmp
> but now it's too late.

I'd suggest not symlinking /tmp since it is part of the
system startup. If you want to reserve a single space
just mount it under both /tmp and /var/tmp. That avoids
issues with not having any tmp space at all (or symlink
/var/tmp -> /tmp if you want to use a symlink).

--
Steven Lembark 85-09 90th St.
Workhorse Computing Woodhaven, NY, 11421

Old 04-13-2008, 07:02 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 18:38:31 +0200, Florian Philipp wrote:

> Due to disk space restrictions I've decided to make /tmp a symlink
> to /var/tmp instead of reserving space for both.

Why not use tmpfs for /tmp? It usually requires very little space, and
will use swap if memory is tight.

--
Neil Bothwick

The careful application of terror is also a form of communication.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:28 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Sonntag, 13. April 2008, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 18:38:31 +0200, Florian Philipp wrote:
> > Due to disk space restrictions I've decided to make /tmp a symlink
> > to /var/tmp instead of reserving space for both.
>
> Why not use tmpfs for /tmp? It usually requires very little space, and
> will use swap if memory is tight.

I second that, tmpfs for /tmp is great:

tmpfs 512M 12K 512M 1% /tmp

Old 04-13-2008, 10:10 PM
Peter Humphrey

On Sunday 13 April 2008 21:28:22 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> On Sonntag, 13. April 2008, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> > Why not use tmpfs for /tmp? It usually requires very little space, and
> > will use swap if memory is tight.
>
> I second that, tmpfs for /tmp is great:
>
> tmpfs 512M 12K 512M 1% /tmp

I can do better than that, on this system with 4GB RAM:

tmpfs /tmp tmpfs nodev,nosuid,size=6g 0 0

No that we're in a competition, you understand.

--
Rgds
Peter

Old 04-14-2008, 03:36 AM
Steven Lembark

Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> On Sonntag, 13. April 2008, Neil Bothwick wrote:
>> On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 18:38:31 +0200, Florian Philipp wrote:
>>> Due to disk space restrictions I've decided to make /tmp a symlink
>>> to /var/tmp instead of reserving space for both.
>> Why not use tmpfs for /tmp? It usually requires very little space, and
>> will use swap if memory is tight.
>
> I second that, tmpfs for /tmp is great:
>
> tmpfs 512M 12K 512M 1% /tmp

Catch: You loose it all on reboot.

Since things like vi keep their in-work backups
there, loosing the entire contents of /tmp after a
crash can be painful.

If you can redirect anything making in-work copies
to, say, /scratch or ~ then this works nicely (given
that you have enough core not to strangle on it).

Old 04-14-2008, 07:46 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 23:36:42 -0400, Steven Lembark wrote:

> > I second that, tmpfs for /tmp is great:

> Catch: You loose it all on reboot.

You are supposed to. The LFS says that /tmp is for files that do not need
to survive a reboot. Baselayout now defaults to wiping /tmp at boot
anyway.

> Since things like vi keep their in-work backups
> there, loosing the entire contents of /tmp after a
> crash can be painful.

Then they are broken, such data should be stored in /var/tmp.

--
Neil Bothwick

Can you be a closet claustrophobic?

Old 04-14-2008, 07:58 AM
Philip Webb

080414 Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 23:36:42 -0400, Steven Lembark wrote:
>> vi keep their in-work backups there,
>> loosing the entire contents of /tmp after a crash can be painful.
> Then they are broken, such data should be stored in /var/tmp.

Vim defaults to keeping temporary files in /var/tmp ,
but Mutt defaults to /tmp & Vim called by Mutt does the same.
Recently, I changed the default in .muttrc to use /var/tmp instead
& as a result I can happily have /tmp cleared at every reboot,
which reminds me, I need to delete many /var/tmp/mutt-* ... (smile).

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb : purslow@chass.utoronto.ca
ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Centre for Urban & Community Studies
TRANSIT `-O----------O---' University of Toronto

Old 04-14-2008, 08:26 AM
Michael Schmarck

Steven Lembark <lembark@wrkhors.com> wrote:

> Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
>>> Why not use tmpfs for /tmp? It usually requires very little space, and
>>> will use swap if memory is tight.
>>
>> I second that, tmpfs for /tmp is great:
>>
>> tmpfs 512M 12K 512M 1% /tmp
>
> Catch: You loose it all on reboot.

That's no catch. /tmp is meant to be empty upon reboot.
No application should assume that things survive a reboot
in /tmp - you use /var/tmp for temporary stuff, which is
meant to be available after a reboot.

> Since things like vi keep their in-work backups
> there,

What? I've got .blah.swp files all over the place.
But not in /tmp.

Michael

Old 04-14-2008, 09:22 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Monday 14 April 2008, Steven Lembark wrote:
> > I second that, tmpfs for /tmp is great:
> >
> > tmpfs * * * * * * * * 512M * 12K *512M * 1% /tmp
>
> Catch: You loose it all on reboot.

Doesn't matter. The standard definition for /tmp (per FHS) is "contains
files that are not expected to persists across different invocations of
a program". Never mind reboots, if you just exit and restart vi, it
cannot expect the temp file to still be there.

vi is a sane program and will in all likelihood respect this
almost-universal standard. If anyone wants different behaviour (can't
think why...) then configure vi to use a different directory as a
scratch pad

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com