-   -   I am tired of this one. (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/690028-i-am-tired-one.html)

Willie Matthews 08-02-2012 08:09 PM

I am tired of this one.

Hello everyone,

I have been dealing with this problem for awhile now. I have two nVidia
video cards, one is a PNY 8400 GS PCIe and the other is a 6150 LE built
onto the board.

Problem is I want to use the nVidia driver with my 8400 GS but when I do
try to use it, it will just lock up the entire computer. Sometime I can
ssh in and sometimes I can't. I don't have compiz or anything like that.
I am using the xfce compositor.

While I do get to use the card for about 30 seconds to a minute, I can't
open the nVidia X Server Settings panel, display panel nor anything that
has to do with flash in chrome.

A couple of the things that I have noticed about the Xorg Log is that
the 8400 GS is reported as having 512mb or video memory when I know it
is only 256. The 6150 is reported as having 256 and I am not sure how
much that one is using. I have a feeling it is shared.

When I am using the 6150 LE and I have the 8400 GS in also. The nVidia X
Server Setting also says the same amounts of video memory.

I haven been using this install of Gentoo for years now. The only thing
that has changed in that time that has to do with Video Cards is Cuda. I
use to use it a little for experiments. All in all the 6150 doesn't
support Cuda and the 8400 GS does.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

--

Willie Matthews
matthews.willie@gmail.com

Willie Matthews 08-02-2012 08:40 PM

I am tired of this one.

On 08/02/12 13:09, Willie Matthews wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I have been dealing with this problem for awhile now. I have two nVidia
> video cards, one is a PNY 8400 GS PCIe and the other is a 6150 LE built
> onto the board.
>
> Problem is I want to use the nVidia driver with my 8400 GS but when I do
> try to use it, it will just lock up the entire computer. Sometime I can
> ssh in and sometimes I can't. I don't have compiz or anything like that.
> I am using the xfce compositor.
>
> While I do get to use the card for about 30 seconds to a minute, I can't
> open the nVidia X Server Settings panel, display panel nor anything that
> has to do with flash in chrome.
>
> A couple of the things that I have noticed about the Xorg Log is that
> the 8400 GS is reported as having 512mb or video memory when I know it
> is only 256. The 6150 is reported as having 256 and I am not sure how
> much that one is using. I have a feeling it is shared.
>
> When I am using the 6150 LE and I have the 8400 GS in also. The nVidia X
> Server Setting also says the same amounts of video memory.
>
> I haven been using this install of Gentoo for years now. The only thing
> that has changed in that time that has to do with Video Cards is Cuda. I
> use to use it a little for experiments. All in all the 6150 doesn't
> support Cuda and the 8400 GS does.
>
> Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

I just learned about the command nvidia-smi.
8400 GS 256mb of ram
6150 LE has 64mb.

Either way X thinks that the 6150 has more than it really does and the
same goes for the 8400. Must not be the reason X is crashing on one and
not the other.

--

Willie Matthews
matthews.willie@gmail.com

Mark Knecht 08-02-2012 08:53 PM

I am tired of this one.

On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 1:09 PM, Willie Matthews
<matthews.willie@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I have been dealing with this problem for awhile now. I have two nVidia
> video cards, one is a PNY 8400 GS PCIe and the other is a 6150 LE built
> onto the board.
>
> Problem is I want to use the nVidia driver with my 8400 GS but when I do
> try to use it, it will just lock up the entire computer. Sometime I can
> ssh in and sometimes I can't. I don't have compiz or anything like that.
> I am using the xfce compositor.
>
> While I do get to use the card for about 30 seconds to a minute, I can't
> open the nVidia X Server Settings panel, display panel nor anything that
> has to do with flash in chrome.
>
> A couple of the things that I have noticed about the Xorg Log is that
> the 8400 GS is reported as having 512mb or video memory when I know it
> is only 256. The 6150 is reported as having 256 and I am not sure how
> much that one is using. I have a feeling it is shared.
>
> When I am using the 6150 LE and I have the 8400 GS in also. The nVidia X
> Server Setting also says the same amounts of video memory.
>
> I haven been using this install of Gentoo for years now. The only thing
> that has changed in that time that has to do with Video Cards is Cuda. I
> use to use it a little for experiments. All in all the 6150 doesn't
> support Cuda and the 8400 GS does.
>
> Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
>
> --
>
> Willie Matthews
> matthews.willie@gmail.com

Hi Willie,
Sorry for the problems. I use two NVidia cards with nvidia-drivers
and don't have any stability problems. My cards are the GTX465 & a
8400GS which are both CUDA-based. There are some very real OpenGL
issues with this setup, as well as all the Flash on NVidia problems,
but no stability problems.

As for your setup, if I was to guess I'd start wondering if the
NVidia driver supports two cards where one is CUDA-based and the other
isn't. I tried Googling for that with no real results.

Note: I do use an xorg.conf file on my system, as well as the
newest drivers. You didn't provide much technical info about your
setup so maybe that could be posted?

nvidia-smi reports the correct amount of memory on my two cards.

Good luck,
Mark

Paul Hartman 08-02-2012 08:57 PM

I am tired of this one.

On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 3:40 PM, Willie Matthews
<matthews.willie@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 08/02/12 13:09, Willie Matthews wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I have been dealing with this problem for awhile now. I have two nVidia
>> video cards, one is a PNY 8400 GS PCIe and the other is a 6150 LE built
>> onto the board.
>>
>> Problem is I want to use the nVidia driver with my 8400 GS but when I do
>> try to use it, it will just lock up the entire computer. Sometime I can
>> ssh in and sometimes I can't. I don't have compiz or anything like that.
>> I am using the xfce compositor.
>>
>> While I do get to use the card for about 30 seconds to a minute, I can't
>> open the nVidia X Server Settings panel, display panel nor anything that
>> has to do with flash in chrome.
>>
>> A couple of the things that I have noticed about the Xorg Log is that
>> the 8400 GS is reported as having 512mb or video memory when I know it
>> is only 256. The 6150 is reported as having 256 and I am not sure how
>> much that one is using. I have a feeling it is shared.
>>
>> When I am using the 6150 LE and I have the 8400 GS in also. The nVidia X
>> Server Setting also says the same amounts of video memory.
>>
>> I haven been using this install of Gentoo for years now. The only thing
>> that has changed in that time that has to do with Video Cards is Cuda. I
>> use to use it a little for experiments. All in all the 6150 doesn't
>> support Cuda and the 8400 GS does.
>>
>> Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
>>
> I just learned about the command nvidia-smi.
> 8400 GS 256mb of ram
> 6150 LE has 64mb.
>
> Either way X thinks that the 6150 has more than it really does and the
> same goes for the 8400. Must not be the reason X is crashing on one and
> not the other.

My first suspicion is that the card may have gone bad. I have had more
video cards fail than any other component over the last few years. It
seems they always overheat and die on me, or get zapped by power
spikes. If you have the ability to remove the card and try only the
on-board, or try another card, it might help narrow it down.

Second suspicion is driver. Try changing to an older version of the
driver and see if that helps.

Third, this might be a long shot, but I had a problem with
nvidia-drivers freezing very shortly after I started X and ended up
being due to my card not liking the power-saving the drivers enable by
default. If I ran nvidia-settings and manually changed it to
full-power/performance mode (I don't remember the exact wording) it
would be fine, but the nvidia-settings commandline did not have an
option for this so I couldn't script it to run upon login. In your
case you can't even run nvidia-settings so that's nohelp. This
particular card I had worked fine for over a year before it suddenly
started having this problem. I believe it was caused by a change in
the drivers.

An automatic workaround I finally found was to add this RegistryDWords
line to my xorg.conf:

Section "Device"
Identifier "nVidia GT 240"
Driver "nvidia"
Option "RegistryDWords" "PowerMizerEnable=0x1;
PerfLevelSrc=0x3322; PowerMizerDefault=0x1; PowerMizerDefaultAC=0x1"
EndSection

Good luck!

Willie Matthews 08-02-2012 09:29 PM

I am tired of this one.

On 08/02/12 13:53, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 1:09 PM, Willie Matthews
> <matthews.willie@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I have been dealing with this problem for awhile now. I have two nVidia
>> video cards, one is a PNY 8400 GS PCIe and the other is a 6150 LE built
>> onto the board.
>>
>> Problem is I want to use the nVidia driver with my 8400 GS but when I do
>> try to use it, it will just lock up the entire computer. Sometime I can
>> ssh in and sometimes I can't. I don't have compiz or anything like that.
>> I am using the xfce compositor.
>>
>> While I do get to use the card for about 30 seconds to a minute, I can't
>> open the nVidia X Server Settings panel, display panel nor anything that
>> has to do with flash in chrome.
>>
>> A couple of the things that I have noticed about the Xorg Log is that
>> the 8400 GS is reported as having 512mb or video memory when I know it
>> is only 256. The 6150 is reported as having 256 and I am not sure how
>> much that one is using. I have a feeling it is shared.
>>
>> When I am using the 6150 LE and I have the 8400 GS in also. The nVidia X
>> Server Setting also says the same amounts of video memory.
>>
>> I haven been using this install of Gentoo for years now. The only thing
>> that has changed in that time that has to do with Video Cards is Cuda. I
>> use to use it a little for experiments. All in all the 6150 doesn't
>> support Cuda and the 8400 GS does.
>>
>> Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Willie Matthews
>> matthews.willie@gmail.com
>>

> Hi Willie,
> Sorry for the problems. I use two NVidia cards with nvidia-drivers
> and don't have any stability problems. My cards are the GTX465 & a
> 8400GS which are both CUDA-based. There are some very real OpenGL
> issues with this setup, as well as all the Flash on NVidia problems,
> but no stability problems.
>
> As for your setup, if I was to guess I'd start wondering if the
> NVidia driver supports two cards where one is CUDA-based and the other
> isn't. I tried Googling for that with no real results.
>
> Note: I do use an xorg.conf file on my system, as well as the
> newest drivers. You didn't provide much technical info about your
> setup so maybe that could be posted?
>
> nvidia-smi reports the correct amount of memory on my two cards.
>
> Good luck,
> Mark

Hey Mark,

What technical information would you like me to post? I am not to good
with troubleshooting.

Driver Version is x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-302.17:0

--

Willie Matthews
matthews.willie@gmail.com

Mark Knecht 08-02-2012 09:39 PM

I am tired of this one.

On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 2:29 PM, Willie Matthews
<matthews.willie@gmail.com> wrote:
<SNIP>
> Hey Mark,
>
> What technical information would you like me to post? I am not to good
> with troubleshooting.
>
> Driver Version is x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-302.17:0
>
> --
>
> Willie Matthews
> matthews.willie@gmail.com

If you're gonna be a Gentoo user you will develop more of those traits
over time.

That's the newest driver. As per Paul's suggestion you might try an older one.

Other than that post the contents of /etc/X11/xorg.conf as well as
your current xorg log file, most like /var/log/Xorg.0.log, but it
might have a different name.

As the 6150 seems to be an on-board GPU only used in specific nvidia
laptop chipsets I have no idea about it's specs. As you say it's not
CUDA-based I'm suspicious about mixing CUDA & non-CUDA and getting
good results. You might query the nouveau driver guys to see if they
support it. The 8400 is probably well supported there and likely
someone will know if they support old & new NVidia chips running
together.

Also, if you can get it to crash and are still able to ssh in then I'd
look closely at the X11 log file and see if it says anything, as well
as dmesg, etc. Maybe you're up against a kernel bug or something. (You
didn't tell us much about your setup...) ;-)

HTH,
Mark

Willie Matthews 08-02-2012 10:30 PM

I am tired of this one.

On 08/02/12 14:39, Mark Knecht wrote:

[...]

I have tried numerous drivers, from I think 275 up, skipping a
couple of revisions. I end up with the same result when it comes to
the 8400GS. I have also tried the nouveau driver with the same
result. I have to disable the acceleration for it to work.

When I change the bios setting to use the PCIe it doesn't show the
6150 at all in lspci (I Think). I am using the same xorg.conf file
that I use for my 8400, nothing about it has changed except for the
addition of the suggestions of Paul. Even that change still have the
6150 still working.

Here are the two files that you asked for.

/var/log/Xorg.0.log

http://pastebin.com/dPy7HPRZ

/etc/X11/xorg.conf

http://pastebin.com/JQMr6HTS

In the beginning this was my desktop with Gentoo on it. 8400 worked
just fine. I started using it as a headless server for awhile and
playing around with CUDA, now I am back to using it as a desktop but
more for XBMC connected to a TV. I still use it to share the net,
DNS, DHCP you know all that good stuff.

Kernel Version 3.3.8-gentoo-r1

Tried to build 3.4 series but it just crashes out this computer,
haven't tried the 3.5 series yet.

I also just looked through my /var/log/messages file. It is nothing
in there about the crash. It just jump time 2 minutes. That is the
same thing that would be in dmesg right?

I will switch back to the 8400 to take a look at dmesg for the crash
if I can ssh in still.

--

Willie Matthews
matthews.willie@gmail.com

Mark Knecht 08-02-2012 10:45 PM

I am tired of this one.

On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 3:30 PM, Willie Matthews
<matthews.willie@gmail.com> wrote:
<SNIP>

To my eye this looks to be the part you should go looking for answers
about. Others in the past seem to have had their machines hang with
this sort of message.

I would not go further forward than the 3.3.8 version you are using.
There isn't anything there that would fix this problem.

I suspect the PCIe switch is working correctly as the older GPU is not PCIe.

Is your machine fully Gentoo stable or are you using much ~amd64
stuff? It's OK to use ~amd64 nvidia-drivers, but don't do that for
xorg or other stuff if you don't absolutely need it. You are talking
old hardware here so there's no need to press forward with a lot of
new stuff.

Good luck,
Mark

[ 155.247] (WW) NVIDIA(GPU-0): check for mode "1024x768".
[ 1065.581] [mi] EQ overflowing. Additional events will be discarded
until existing events are processed.
[ 1065.581]
[ 1065.581] Backtrace:
[ 1065.615] 0: /usr/bin/X (xorg_backtrace+0x34) [0x565a64]
[ 1065.615] 1: /usr/bin/X (mieqEnqueue+0x263) [0x546c13]
[ 1065.615] 2: /usr/bin/X (0x400000+0x4a81c) [0x44a81c]
[ 1065.615] 3: /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/input/evdev_drv.so
(0x7f77b5083000+0x6130) [0x7f77b5089130]
[ 1065.615] 4: /usr/bin/X (0x400000+0x71f07) [0x471f07]
[ 1065.615] 5: /usr/bin/X (0x400000+0x9658a) [0x49658a]
[ 1065.615] 6: /lib64/libpthread.so.0 (0x7f77bc841000+0x10280) [0x7f77bc851280]
[ 1065.615] 7: /usr/lib64/libpixman-1.so.0 (0x7f77bc5bb000+0x6e2a2)
[0x7f77bc6292a2]
[ 1065.615] 8: /usr/lib64/libpixman-1.so.0
(pixman_image_composite32+0x498) [0x7f77bc5c5918]
[ 1065.615] 9: /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/libfb.so (fbComposite+0x1d8)
[0x7f77b6229bd8]
[ 1065.615] 10: /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.so
(0x7f77b6435000+0x5194b5) [0x7f77b694e4b5]
[ 1065.615] 11: /usr/bin/X (0x400000+0xf63f6) [0x4f63f6]
[ 1065.616] 12: /usr/bin/X (0x400000+0xbe35d) [0x4be35d]
[ 1065.616] 13: /usr/bin/X (0x400000+0xbf215) [0x4bf215]
[ 1065.616] 14: /usr/bin/X (0x400000+0xbdac0) [0x4bdac0]
[ 1065.616] 15: /usr/bin/X (0x400000+0x5ed26) [0x45ed26]
[ 1065.616] 16: /usr/bin/X (MapWindow+0x153) [0x461863]
[ 1065.616] 17: /usr/bin/X (0x400000+0x318d0) [0x4318d0]
[ 1065.616] 18: /usr/bin/X (0x400000+0x36ed9) [0x436ed9]
[ 1065.616] 19: /usr/bin/X (0x400000+0x2644a) [0x42644a]
[ 1065.616] 20: /lib64/libc.so.6 (__libc_start_main+0xfd) [0x7f77bb6f24bd]
[ 1065.616] 21: /usr/bin/X (0x400000+0x2673d) [0x42673d]
[ 1065.616]
[ 1065.616] [mi] These backtraces from mieqEnqueue may point to a
culprit higher up the stack.
[ 1065.616] [mi] mieq is *NOT* the cause. It is a victim.
[ 1065.881] [mi] Increasing EQ size to 512 to prevent dropped events.
[ 1065.882] [mi] EQ processing has resumed after 63 dropped events.
[ 1065.882] [mi] This may be caused my a misbehaving driver
monopolizing the server's resources.

Willie 08-02-2012 10:46 PM

I am tired of this one.

On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 3:30 PM, Willie Matthews <matthews.willie@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Can't get dmesg log. Can't ssh into it anymore! :(
--

Willie Matthews
matthews.willie@gmail.com

Willie 08-02-2012 11:01 PM

I am tired of this one.

On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 3:45 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

I don't think that it is all stable. I am using ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~amd64" in the make.conf.
Thanks a lot for pointing me in the right direction. I will look into it.

--

Willie Matthews
matthews.willie@gmail.com