Old 08-02-2012, 11:24 PM
Mark Knecht

Default I am tired of this one.

That means your machine could be 100% testing software. At your skill
level I do not think this is a good idea. It works for some but not
for others.(me)

I'm on my Kindle so more help is hard right now. Consider how to get
to stable, if that is even possible.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:13 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Thu, 2 Aug 2012 16:24:06 -0700
Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:

> That means your machine could be 100% testing software. At your skill
> level I do not think this is a good idea. It works for some but not
> for others.(me)
>
> I'm on my Kindle so more help is hard right now. Consider how to get
> to stable, if that is even possible.

Hmmmm, yeaaaaaahhh, I don't think so, he's a newbie

I once switched a host from unstable to stable and I sweated blood
and bricks to do it. IIRC correctly it involved a whole lot of manual
package masking, and that took a whole lot of grep sed and awking
emerge output.

It was horrible. It would have been easier to reinstall. But, being a
pigheaded Gentooist, I just had to try!

What he could do is switch ACCEPT_KEYWORDS then not do much updates for
6 months and let stable catch up to unstable. Not ideal from a security
update POV, but better than nothing

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com

Old 08-03-2012, 12:26 AM
Alecks Gates

On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 7:13 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Aug 2012 16:24:06 -0700
> Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> That means your machine could be 100% testing software. At your skill
>> level I do not think this is a good idea. It works for some but not
>> for others.(me)
>>
>> I'm on my Kindle so more help is hard right now. Consider how to get
>> to stable, if that is even possible.
>
> Hmmmm, yeaaaaaahhh, I don't think so, he's a newbie
>
> I once switched a host from unstable to stable and I sweated blood
> and bricks to do it. IIRC correctly it involved a whole lot of manual
> package masking, and that took a whole lot of grep sed and awking
> emerge output.
>
> It was horrible. It would have been easier to reinstall. But, being a
> pigheaded Gentooist, I just had to try!
>
> What he could do is switch ACCEPT_KEYWORDS then not do much updates for
> 6 months and let stable catch up to unstable. Not ideal from a security
> update POV, but better than nothing
>
> --
> Alan McKinnon
> alan.mckinnon@gmail.com

I'd have to agree with you, Alan. I tried switching from unstable to
stable once (and I'm still a newbie, so I was even more of a newb when
I tried) -- I just ended up reinstalling to keep my mind from melting.
This was on a standard Desktop/Gnome system, of course.

Old 08-03-2012, 04:25 AM
Willie Matthews

On 08/02/2012 05:26 PM, Alecks Gates wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 7:13 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 2 Aug 2012 16:24:06 -0700
>> Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> That means your machine could be 100% testing software. At your skill
>>> level I do not think this is a good idea. It works for some but not
>>> for others.(me)
>>>
>>> I'm on my Kindle so more help is hard right now. Consider how to get
>>> to stable, if that is even possible.
>> Hmmmm, yeaaaaaahhh, I don't think so, he's a newbie
>>
>> I once switched a host from unstable to stable and I sweated blood
>> and bricks to do it. IIRC correctly it involved a whole lot of manual
>> package masking, and that took a whole lot of grep sed and awking
>> emerge output.
>>
>> It was horrible. It would have been easier to reinstall. But, being a
>> pigheaded Gentooist, I just had to try!
>>
>> What he could do is switch ACCEPT_KEYWORDS then not do much updates for
>> 6 months and let stable catch up to unstable. Not ideal from a security
>> update POV, but better than nothing
>>
>> --
>> Alan McKinnon
>> alan.mckinnon@gmail.com
>>

> I'd have to agree with you, Alan. I tried switching from unstable to
> stable once (and I'm still a newbie, so I was even more of a newb when
> I tried) -- I just ended up reinstalling to keep my mind from melting.
> This was on a standard Desktop/Gnome system, of course.

Yeah I don't know if I really want to take the time to reset up entire
machine again. It is not only my XBMC machine but it is all my network
services and routes the internet. I think I like the idea that Alan has,
switch the ACCEPT_KEYWORDS and not update for a couple of months.

--

Willie Matthews
matthews.willie@gmail.com

Old 08-03-2012, 04:43 AM
Mark Knecht

That will likely work. You can also unmask many/most testing packages
to the Rev you currently have installed and then likely continue
updates running eix-test-obsolete along the way to clean up the
unmasked over time.

Good luck.

Cheers,
Mark

Old 08-03-2012, 04:47 AM
Volker Armin Hemmann

Try Kernel 3.0.x. But I suspect hw is the cause. 8400.... Bumpgate Material? Maybe Not but i would replace it. Send from phone. Nightmare.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:34 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Fri, 3 Aug 2012 02:13:17 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> I once switched a host from unstable to stable and I sweated blood
> and bricks to do it. IIRC correctly it involved a whole lot of manual
> package masking, and that took a whole lot of grep sed and awking
> emerge output.

How about

qlist -ICv | sed 's/^/=/' >/etc/portage/package.accept_keywords

That will generate the initial list to prevent anything from downgrading
when you switch keywords. Then use eix-test-obsolete from time to time to
tell you what you can remove. Anything still in there are a few months
should probably be allowed to downgrade.

--
Neil Bothwick

Windows Error #56: Operator fell asleep while waiting.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:19 AM
Willie Matthews

wrote:

>>> That means your machine could be 100% testing
software. At your skill

>>> level I do not think this is a good idea. It
works for some but not

>>> for others.(me)

>>> I'm on my Kindle so more help is hard right now.
Consider how to get

>>> to stable, if that is even possible.

>> Hmmmm, yeaaaaaahhh, I don't think so, he's a newbie

>> I once switched a host from unstable to stable and I
sweated blood

>> and bricks to do it. IIRC correctly it involved a
whole lot of manual

>> package masking, and that took a whole lot of grep
sed and awking

>> emerge output.

>> It was horrible. It would have been easier to
reinstall. But, being a

>> pigheaded Gentooist, I just had to try!

>> What he could do is switch ACCEPT_KEYWORDS then not
do much updates for

>> 6 months and let stable catch up to unstable. Not
ideal from a security

>> update POV, but better than nothing

>> --

>> Alan McKinnon

>> alan.mckinnon@gmail.com

> I'd have to agree with you, Alan. *I tried switching from
unstable to

> stable once (and I'm still a newbie, so I was even more
of a newb when

> I tried) -- I just ended up reinstalling to keep my mind
from melting.

> *This was on a standard Desktop/Gnome system, of course.

Yeah I don't know if I really want to take the time to reset
up entire

machine again. It is not only my XBMC machine but it is all my
network

services and routes the internet. I think I like the idea that
Alan has,

switch the ACCEPT_KEYWORDS and not update for a couple of
months.

--

Willie Matthews

matthews.willie@gmail.com

I am pretty sure it is the hardware failing. I just booted from a
disk using the nouveau drivers and had the exact same problem.

Thanks everyone for your help!

--

Willie Matthews
matthews.willie@gmail.com

Old 08-03-2012, 04:35 PM
Mark Knecht

On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 4:19 AM, Willie Matthews
<matthews.willie@gmail.com> wrote:
<SNIP>
> I am pretty sure it is the hardware failing. I just booted from a disk using
> the nouveau drivers and had the exact same problem.
>
> Thanks everyone for your help!

Before you throw the machine out can you completely remove the 8400
from the box and look at whether the lock-up problems continue? I'm
still suspicious of this CUDA/non-CUDA mixture.

Also, once you get everything backed up (assuming the machine is
failing you need to do that, right? ) ;-) then you might consider
doing a stable non-~amd64 reinstall and looking at this problem again
to see if it continues to exist. It could easily be something not well
tested in a new release.

Good luck with whatever path you take.

Cheers,
Mark

Old 08-03-2012, 05:27 PM
Willie Matthews

On 08/03/12 09:35, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 4:19 AM, Willie Matthews
> <matthews.willie@gmail.com> wrote:
> <SNIP>
>> I am pretty sure it is the hardware failing. I just booted from a disk using
>> the nouveau drivers and had the exact same problem.
>>
>> Thanks everyone for your help!
>>
> Before you throw the machine out can you completely remove the 8400
> from the box and look at whether the lock-up problems continue? I'm
> still suspicious of this CUDA/non-CUDA mixture.
>
> Also, once you get everything backed up (assuming the machine is
> failing you need to do that, right? ) ;-) then you might consider
> doing a stable non-~amd64 reinstall and looking at this problem again
> to see if it continues to exist. It could easily be something not well
> tested in a new release.
>
> Good luck with whatever path you take.
>
> Cheers,
> Mark

It is no way in the world I am going to toss this computer. It may be an
oldie but she is still a goodie even without the vidoe card.

It is the 8400 GS that is causing the lock up. Installed another OS late
last night while everyone was sleeping and still had the problem. I have
always used that card in this machine. Never had a problem with using it
with the 6150 in it.

--

Willie Matthews
matthews.willie@gmail.com