Old 08-02-2012, 04:29 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

Default new machine : proposed design

Am Mittwoch, 1. August 2012, 16:33:21 schrieb Philip Webb:
> 120801 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> > Kingston is way too expensive for their low quality products.
> > You can just buy some cheapo 'almost' noname brand and get better results.
>
> At my regular store (no, I'm not schlepping all over town), I see :
>
> AMD Entertainment 4 GB DDR3 1600 MHz CL9 Optimized for AMD : 24.99
>
> They have 8 in stock, which suggests they're popular with customers.
> I'm sceptical re 'optimized for AMD', but it is the same manufacturer.
> This is 1600 MHz a/a the Kingston, which is 1330 MHz ,
> but I want to re-use a stick I already own from another machine
> which is also a Kingston 4 GB 1330 MHz , so I won't be using the speed.
> I've never had a problem with Kingston memory nor with their USB sticks,
> so I need a bit more convincing (smile).
>
> > And the SSD - seriously ? Get OCZ or Samsung:
> > Kingston is just rebranding one of those.
>
> There are no Samsung SSDs available at the store (do they make them ? ).

are you joking? Samsung is one of the big ones - a lot of laptops run with
rebranded Samsung SSDs. Samsung produces flash chips, their own controllers and
well performing SSDs.

> However, OCZ does look very competitive (thanks for this bit of advice):
>
> OCZ Vertex3 240 GB SATA3 6 GB/s R 550 MB/s W 525 MB/s : 209.99
> OCZ Vertex4 128 GB SATA3 6 GB/s R 560 MB/s W 430 MB/s : 124.99
> OCZ Vertex3 120 GB SATA3 6 GB/s R 550 MB/s W 500 MB/s : 119.99

have that one. Is a nice one.

> OCZ Agility3 120 GB SATA3 6 GB/s R 525 MB/s W 500 MB/s : 99.99
>
> So I can pay CAD 60 more & get twice the storage
> or save CAD 25 - 50 & get the same storage.
> I don't suppose the R/W variations make much difference in everyday use
> (the Kingston I listed is R 555 W 510 : in the same ballpark).
> Moreover, all of them are 10+ in stock, again suggesting popularity.
>
> So you've got my attention (grin). Any further comments by VAH or others ?

yeah, seriously, don't buy case+psu combos. They almost always suck.

Also: the bigger the fan, the less speed you need them to run at. The quieter
they are. If you can get a case with placings for 14cm fans and it is
comparable to some 12 or 8cm case - get the where you can use 14cm fans. it is
really worth it.

--
#163933

Old 08-02-2012, 10:10 PM
pk

On 2012-08-02 18:25, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:

> If you want quality: buy something else.
> If you are concerned about the prize: seriously, buy something else.

Hm, your experience with Kingston seems different than mine; I've had
nothing but problems with other brands _but_ Kingston and I've been
using them for years in various computers/motherboards. All three
current motherboards run Kingston stable (two of them since quite a few
years now, one is the Gigabyte M57SLI-S4 motherboard which have an extra
flashrom soldered onto the motherboard for easy switching between
proprietary firmware[a.k.a. BIOS] and coreboot).

And here's a couple of pc's (not mine) running coreboot (which relies on
the SPD rom information in order to set up the memory):
http://www.coreboot.org/HP_DL145_G3
http://www.coreboot.org/ASUS_M4A78-EM

I'm sure you can dig up some dirt on Kingston but I'm quite confident
that you can dig up the same on other brands as well... but again, I've
had no problems with Kingston so I'm sticking to them. Although, I
perhaps should mention I don't do any overclocking of any kind since I
value stability over all...

Best regards / MfG

Peter K

Old 08-03-2012, 12:58 AM
Philip Webb

120802 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 1. August 2012, 16:33:21 schrieb Philip Webb:
>> There are no Samsung SSDs available at the store (do they make them ? ).
> are you joking? Samsung is one of the big ones -
> a lot of laptops run with rebranded Samsung SSDs.
> Samsung produces flash chips, their own controllers & well performing SSDs.

Goto http://www.canadacomputers.com/search_result.php?keywords=&manu=0&sid=pl8enmo1d9r svg3qk00ip4k315&search=1&ccid=1088&cPath=179_1088& pagePos=0&pricerange=%240.00-%24299.99+%28102%29
(or simply to the base URL & follow the menus).
There are a lot of SSDs, but nothing called 'Samsung'.
Do they market them under another brand name ?

>> OCZ Vertex3 120 GB SATA3 6 GB/s R 550 MB/s W 500 MB/s : 119.99
> have that one. Is a nice one.

Yes, I've already put it in my list to replace the Kingston.

> seriously, don't buy case+psu combos. They almost always suck.
> Also: the bigger the fan, the less speed you need them to run at.
> The quieter they are. If you can get a case with placings for 14cm fans
> and it is comparable to some 12 or 8cm case - get that.
> it is really worth it.

I always have: it saves CAD & the only problem was c 2004 ,
when the PSU fan failed & fried the mobo : I replaced both
& the machine continues to function well as my stand-by box.
I'm not worried by ordinary fan noise: try traffic, TVs etc etc (smile).

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb

Old 08-03-2012, 04:12 AM
Michael Mol

On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 8:58 PM, Philip Webb <purslow@ca.inter.net> wrote:
> 120802 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
>> Am Mittwoch, 1. August 2012, 16:33:21 schrieb Philip Webb:
>>> There are no Samsung SSDs available at the store (do they make them ? ).
>> are you joking? Samsung is one of the big ones -
>> a lot of laptops run with rebranded Samsung SSDs.
>> Samsung produces flash chips, their own controllers & well performing SSDs.
>
> Goto http://www.canadacomputers.com/search_result.php?keywords=&manu=0&sid=pl8enmo1d9r svg3qk00ip4k315&search=1&ccid=1088&cPath=179_1088& pagePos=0&pricerange=%240.00-%24299.99+%28102%29
> (or simply to the base URL & follow the menus).
> There are a lot of SSDs, but nothing called 'Samsung'.
> Do they market them under another brand name ?

http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/solid-state-drives

I didn't find them listed on Newegg, but they do turn up on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_hi_5?rh=n%3A172282%2Cn%3A%21493964%2Cn%3A54 1966%2Cn%3A193870011%2Cn%3A1292116011%2Cp_4%3ASams ung&bbn=1292116011&ie=UTF8&qid=1343967065
--
:wq

Old 08-03-2012, 05:13 AM
Philip Webb

120803 Michael Mol wrote:
> http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/solid-state-drives

They have just 1 desktop at 128 GB & it costs USD 230 ... !
I'm grateful to VAH for getting me to check out the OCZs,
but I suspect he's shooting from the hip re Samsung.

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb

Old 08-03-2012, 02:45 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

Am Freitag, 3. August 2012, 01:13:45 schrieb Philip Webb:
> 120803 Michael Mol wrote:
> > http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/solid-state-drives
>
> They have just 1 desktop at 128 GB & it costs USD 230 ... !
> I'm grateful to VAH for getting me to check out the OCZs,
> but I suspect he's shooting from the hip re Samsung.

I don't know the meaning of that one.

I have one Samsung SSD and one from OCZ .

Samsung's do very well in reviews and are readily available in Germany.

--
#163933

Old 08-03-2012, 03:19 PM
Paul Hartman

On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 12:13 AM, Philip Webb <purslow@ca.inter.net> wrote:
> 120803 Michael Mol wrote:
>> http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/solid-state-drives
>
> They have just 1 desktop at 128 GB & it costs USD 230 ... !
> I'm grateful to VAH for getting me to check out the OCZs,
> but I suspect he's shooting from the hip re Samsung.

That's just MSRP, nobody pays that. You can get Samsung 128GB USD$89
on sale typically. Current price on Newegg is USD$99 free shipping (in
the US, anyway). If you want one with mounting rails included it might
cost a little more.

Typically with SSD the biggest problems have been with firmware. The
SSDs with the best reputation for reliability are typically Intel and
Samsung. Intel costs a lot more than any of the others.

Pretty much all of the rest (current-generation) use the same
Sandforce controller and so then your big questions to differentiate
between them are how frequently they update firmware, if they allow
firmware updates to occur in linux (or from a boot disk/ISO), what
features are supported that you care about (encryption, compression),
over-provisioning, what quality of memory do they use. There were
widespread reports of problems when the latest sandforce were first
introduced, drives disconnecting randomly, that sort of thing, but I
believe those problems have been corrected by firmware updates and you
shouldn't have any problems today with any of them, as long as they've
released updates.

OCZ is a premiere partner of Sandforce, so they usually get the new
chips and latest firmware fixes sooner than the other Sandforce-using
brands. There are other brands who have a good reputation online for
reliability, such as Mushkin, Sandisk, OWC...

I personally have a Samsung 128GB for root and Sandisk 240GB for home.