Old 04-13-2008, 09:36 AM
Dale

Default Question about eix-test-obsolete output

Hi,

I ran eix-test-obsolete and cleaned up a lot of the things in the
output. This one part, stumps me. Just what exactly is it trying to
tell me? Is this not in portage, not in the world file or what?

Output below. Thanks

Dale

:-) :-)

root@smoker / # eix-test-obsolete

< SNIP >

Installed packages with a version not in the database (or masked):

[D] kde-base/kdeaddons-docs-konq-plugins (3.5.9(3.5)@04/08/2008 ->
3.5.8(3.5)): Documentation for the konqueror plugins from kdeaddons
[D] kde-base/kdeaddons-kfile-plugins (3.5.9(3.5)@04/08/2008 ->
3.5.8(3.5)): kdeaddons kfile plugins
[D] kde-base/kdeaddons-meta (3.5.9(3.5)@04/08/2008 -> 3.5.8(3.5)):
kdeaddons - merge this to pull in all kdeaddons-derived packages
[D] sys-kernel/gentoo-sources (2.6.23-r3(2.6.23-r3)@02/03/2008
2.6.23-r8(2.6.23-r8)@02/11/2008 2.6.24-r4(2.6.24-r4)@04/08/2008 ->
2.6.16-r13(2.6.16-r13) 2.6.19-r5(2.6.19-r5) 2.6.22-r10(2.6.22-r10)
2.6.23-r9(2.6.23-r9) 2.6.24-r3(2.6.24-r3) 2.6.24-r4(2.6.24-r4)): Full
sources including the Gentoo patchset for the 2.6 kernel tree
[D] x11-apps/xinit (1.0.5-r2@01/22/2008 -> [m]1.0.4 [m]1.0.5-r1
~1.0.5-r2 ~1.0.8 ~1.0.8-r2 {debug hal minimal pam}): X Window System
initializer

Found 5 matches.

root@smoker / #

Old 04-13-2008, 10:18 AM
Vaeth

> Is this not in portage, not in the world file or what?
>
> Installed packages with a version not in the database (or masked):

The "database" is what is produced by update-eix, i.e. usually
the portage tree and your overlays (and perhaps "virtual" overlays).
So, as a rule, it means that you have at least one version of these
packages installed which was erased from the portage tree (and isn't
in your overlays either).

Old 04-13-2008, 10:25 AM
Daniel Pielmeier

> Installed packages with a version not in the database (or masked):

As it says this apps are either not in the database or masked.

kde-base/kdeaddons-docs-konq-plugins-3.5.9 masked
kde-base/kdeaddons-kfile-plugins-3.5.9 masked
kde-base/kdeaddons-meta-3.5.9 masked
sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.6.23-r3 not in the tree and thus not in the
eix-database anymore.

x11-apps/xinit-1.0.5-r2 masked

I guess portage will downgrade the masked ones if you run emerge -uND
world, so if you want them put them in package.keywords. You can remove
gentoo-sources from /etc/portage/package.whatever as it is not in the
tree anymore.

Regards,

Daniel

Old 04-13-2008, 10:30 AM
Dale

Vaeth wrote:
Is this not in portage, not in the world file or what?

Installed packages with a version not in the database (or masked):

The "database" is what is produced by update-eix, i.e. usually
the portage tree and your overlays (and perhaps "virtual" overlays).
So, as a rule, it means that you have at least one version of these
packages installed which was erased from the portage tree (and isn't
in your overlays either).

Just to give a little more info here. I sync'ed a couple days ago. I
use eix-sync to do that so that everything is updated, portage and eix.
I don't have anything in layman, heard of it but never used it.

Also, emerge -uvDNp comes out clean. Nothing to upgrade or downgrade.
Revdep-rebuild comes out clean as well.

Still not having that light bulb moment here. :/ Are these packages
that I can unmerge?

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 04-13-2008, 10:49 AM
Dale

Daniel Pielmeier wrote:

> Installed packages with a version not in the database (or masked):

As it says this apps are either not in the database or masked.

kde-base/kdeaddons-docs-konq-plugins-3.5.9 masked
kde-base/kdeaddons-kfile-plugins-3.5.9 masked
kde-base/kdeaddons-meta-3.5.9 masked
sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.6.23-r3 not in the tree and thus not in
the eix-database anymore.

x11-apps/xinit-1.0.5-r2 masked

I guess portage will downgrade the masked ones if you run emerge -uND
world, so if you want them put them in package.keywords. You can
remove gentoo-sources from /etc/portage/package.whatever as it is not
in the tree anymore.

Regards,

Daniel

emerge -uNDvp world comes out clean. I can not find
gentoo-sources-2.6.23-r3 in any file in /etc/portage/package.* so sort
of curious about that. I did check and I am not using that version
anymore so I unmerged it. Maybe that will fix that. o_O

Still waiting on that light bulb moment. I been studying this thing the
past couple days on my own so it's a bit . . . muddy, in here. LOL

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 04-13-2008, 12:02 PM
Daniel Pielmeier

> emerge -uNDvp world comes out clean.

Hmm. I just commented an entry in package keywords and after that it
showed up the same way as reported it. If i run portage it wants to
downgrade that particular package.

I can not find
gentoo-sources-2.6.23-r3 in any file in /etc/portage/package.* so sort
of curious about that. I did check and I am not using that version
anymore so I unmerged it. Maybe that will fix that. o_O

This should fix it! It was my mistake. Eix is looking up its database
and does not find gentoo-sources-2.6.23-r3 because it has been removed
from the tree thus it gets reported.

Still waiting on that light bulb moment. I been studying this thing the
past couple days on my own so it's a bit . . . muddy, in here. LOL

Dale

:-) :-)

@Vaeth

Maybe you can enlighten me.

eix-test-obsolete checks first for non matching entries in a package
file e.g. if I have an entry with a typo or a removed package then it
will be reported.

But what is the difference between a "redundant entry" and an
"uninstalled entry". As far as I see the matching criteria of both
checks is a package which is not installed or in the database but in a
package.* file.

Btw: eix-test-obsolete can not check for obsolete use-flags at the moment?

Regards,

Daniel

Old 04-13-2008, 12:31 PM
Dale

Daniel Pielmeier wrote:

Btw: eix-test-obsolete can not check for obsolete use-flags at the
moment?

Regards,

Daniel

If it did check USE flags, I'd have a loooong list there too. This is a
5 year old install. I try to keep it tidy but it does creep up on me.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 04-13-2008, 01:51 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 14:02:38 +0200, Daniel Pielmeier wrote:

> But what is the difference between a "redundant entry" and an
> "uninstalled entry". As far as I see the matching criteria of both
> checks is a package which is not installed or in the database but in a
> package.* file.

Redundant is where the package is still available but the /etc/portage.*
entry is no longer needed. e.g. you have "dev-lib/foobar-1.1 ~x86" in
package.keyworkd but it is now stable.

Btw: eix-test-obsolete can not check for obsolete use-flags at the
> moment?

flagedit will warn if you have obsolete flags in /etc/portage
or /etc/make.conf.

--
Neil Bothwick

I have plenty of talent and vision. I just don't give a damn.

Old 04-13-2008, 03:36 PM
Daniel Pielmeier

Neil Bothwick schrieb:

But what is the difference between a "redundant entry" and an
"uninstalled entry". As far as I see the matching criteria of both
checks is a package which is not installed or in the database but in a
package.* file.

Redundant is where the package is still available but the /etc/portage.*
entry is no longer needed. e.g. you have "dev-lib/foobar-1.1 ~x86" in
package.keyworkd but it is now stable.

Sounds reasonable, thanks!

Btw: eix-test-obsolete can not check for obsolete use-flags at the

moment?

flagedit will warn if you have obsolete flags in /etc/portage
or /etc/make.conf.

Thanks!

I wonder when there will be one single tool which is capable to take
care of a configuration and cleaning /etc/portage/ or is there already
one i miss?

Regards,

Daniel

Old 04-13-2008, 04:46 PM
Dale

Daniel Pielmeier wrote:

Thanks!

I wonder when there will be one single tool which is capable to take
care of a configuration and cleaning /etc/portage/ or is there already
one i miss?

Regards,

Daniel

I wouldn't mind having one that cleans out /etc as a whole. I'm sure
there are some old configs in there that are no longer needed. You
know, package is long gone but configs are still laying around.

Dale

:-) :-)