Old 07-30-2012, 07:20 PM
Grant

Default Can't connect to router with 3 different interfaces

I have 2 different USB wireless network adapters and an internal PCIe
adapter and none will connect to a Jazztel router I need to connect to
on the road. I've tried several different kernels. I've tried
restarting the router and I've verified that the WEP password is
correct by logging into the router itself (good ol' admin/admin) but
wicd always gives me the "bad password" message. dmesg isn't very
informative. All I get is from the internal adapter (with debugging
enabled for the driver) after each failure is:

L1 Disabled: Enabling L0S
Radio type=0x1-0x2-0x0
wlan0: link is not ready

Does anyone know how to figure this out?

- Grant

Old 07-30-2012, 07:48 PM
Paul Hartman

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 2:20 PM, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have 2 different USB wireless network adapters and an internal PCIe
> adapter and none will connect to a Jazztel router I need to connect to
> on the road. I've tried several different kernels. I've tried
> restarting the router and I've verified that the WEP password is
> correct by logging into the router itself (good ol' admin/admin) but
> wicd always gives me the "bad password" message. dmesg isn't very
> informative. All I get is from the internal adapter (with debugging
> enabled for the driver) after each failure is:
>
> L1 Disabled: Enabling L0S
> Radio type=0x1-0x2-0x0
> wlan0: link is not ready
>
> Does anyone know how to figure this out?

I would try setting a static IP on the client in wicd... maybe
something in the DHCP session between the router and client is wonky.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:23 PM
Grant

>> I have 2 different USB wireless network adapters and an internal PCIe
>> adapter and none will connect to a Jazztel router I need to connect to
>> on the road. I've tried several different kernels. I've tried
>> restarting the router and I've verified that the WEP password is
>> correct by logging into the router itself (good ol' admin/admin) but
>> wicd always gives me the "bad password" message. dmesg isn't very
>> informative. All I get is from the internal adapter (with debugging
>> enabled for the driver) after each failure is:
>>
>> L1 Disabled: Enabling L0S
>> Radio type=0x1-0x2-0x0
>> wlan0: link is not ready
>>
>> Does anyone know how to figure this out?
>
> I would try setting a static IP on the client in wicd... maybe
> something in the DHCP session between the router and client is wonky.

I thought the same thing and tried that but it didn't end up working.
The good news is I got it working by doing this in /etc/conf.d/net:

modules="!wpa_supplicant"
ssid_wlan0="SSID"
key_SSID="s:PASSWORD enc open"

I couldn't get wpa_supplicant working either but maybe I didn't take
enough time with the config. I guess this was a wicd bug? I love it
when working on something all day long actually pays off.

- Grant

Old 07-30-2012, 09:02 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 13:23:24 -0700
Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I have 2 different USB wireless network adapters and an internal
> >> PCIe adapter and none will connect to a Jazztel router I need to
> >> connect to on the road. I've tried several different kernels.
> >> I've tried restarting the router and I've verified that the WEP
> >> password is correct by logging into the router itself (good ol'
> >> admin/admin) but wicd always gives me the "bad password" message.
> >> dmesg isn't very informative. All I get is from the internal
> >> adapter (with debugging enabled for the driver) after each failure
> >> is:
> >>
> >> L1 Disabled: Enabling L0S
> >> Radio type=0x1-0x2-0x0
> >> wlan0: link is not ready
> >>
> >> Does anyone know how to figure this out?
> >
> > I would try setting a static IP on the client in wicd... maybe
> > something in the DHCP session between the router and client is
> > wonky.
>
> I thought the same thing and tried that but it didn't end up working.
> The good news is I got it working by doing this in /etc/conf.d/net:
>
> modules="!wpa_supplicant"
> ssid_wlan0="SSID"
> key_SSID="s:PASSWORD enc open"
>
> I couldn't get wpa_supplicant working either but maybe I didn't take
> enough time with the config. I guess this was a wicd bug? I love it
> when working on something all day long actually pays off.

When working with wicd, rule 1 is delete all /etc/conf.d/net
and /etc/init.d/net*

They just interfere with wicd and make your life miserable (as you
found out)

There are always exceptions of course, like VBox and tun/tap interfaces
and so on. But for regular eth and wlan stuff wicd alone does the job,
and it never works when openrc is trying to get in the mix too

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com

Old 07-31-2012, 07:07 AM
Grant

>> > I would try setting a static IP on the client in wicd... maybe
>> > something in the DHCP session between the router and client is
>> > wonky.
>>
>> I thought the same thing and tried that but it didn't end up working.
>> The good news is I got it working by doing this in /etc/conf.d/net:
>>
>> modules="!wpa_supplicant"
>> ssid_wlan0="SSID"
>> key_SSID="s:PASSWORD enc open"
>>
>> I couldn't get wpa_supplicant working either but maybe I didn't take
>> enough time with the config. I guess this was a wicd bug? I love it
>> when working on something all day long actually pays off.
>
> When working with wicd, rule 1 is delete all /etc/conf.d/net
> and /etc/init.d/net*
>
> They just interfere with wicd and make your life miserable (as you
> found out)

I actually had no /etc/init.d/net.* files except net.lo and
/etc/conf.d/net was empty. I finally gave up on wicd and set up the
openrc stuff when I got my third network interface working with the
same result.

- Grant