Old 07-28-2012, 10:22 AM

Default SOLVED - Mouse does not work with kernel-3.5.0

Hello again!
The problem is solved by adding the following kernel config option:

CONFIG_HID_GENERIC=M

This option was not present in the old configuration files, that is
why simple 'make oldconfig' did not do the job.

Thank you all for your responses and suggestions!

Regards,
Vladimir

-----
<v_2e@ukr.net>

Old 07-28-2012, 03:24 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 13:22:24 +0300, v_2e@ukr.net wrote:

> Hello again!
> The problem is solved by adding the following kernel config option:
>
> CONFIG_HID_GENERIC=M
>
> This option was not present in the old configuration files, that is
> why simple 'make oldconfig' did not do the job.

make oldconfig should pick up new options, that's what it's for. I've
just upgraded a box from 3.4.4 to 3.5.0 and it prompted for this option,
defaulting to Y (there's little point in making something that is always
required a module).

--
Neil Bothwick

A Microsoft joke (is that a tautology?)

Old 07-28-2012, 03:59 PM
Pandu Poluan

On Jul 28, 2012 10:29 PM, "Neil Bothwick" <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 13:22:24 +0300, v_2e@ukr.net wrote:

> > * Hello again!

> > * The problem is solved by adding the following kernel config option:

> > CONFIG_HID_GENERIC=M

> > * This option was not present in the old configuration files, that is

> > why simple 'make oldconfig' did not do the job.

> make oldconfig should pick up new options, that's what it's for. I've

> just upgraded a box from 3.4.4 to 3.5.0 and it prompted for this option,

> defaulting to Y (there's little point in making something that is always

> required a module).

I myself prefer make menuconfig to make oldconfig, because I can easily see new options, and also invoke some help text that (tries to) explain what the option is about. Not to mention an easy-to-read "chain of dependencies" of an option.

Rgds,

Old 07-28-2012, 04:30 PM
Mick

On Saturday 28 Jul 2012 16:59:10 Pandu Poluan wrote:
> On Jul 28, 2012 10:29 PM, "Neil Bothwick" <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> > On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 13:22:24 +0300, v_2e@ukr.net wrote:
> > > Hello again!
> > >
> > > The problem is solved by adding the following kernel config option:
> > > CONFIG_HID_GENERIC=M
> > >
> > > This option was not present in the old configuration files, that is
> > >
> > > why simple 'make oldconfig' did not do the job.
> >
> > make oldconfig should pick up new options, that's what it's for. I've
> > just upgraded a box from 3.4.4 to 3.5.0 and it prompted for this option,
> > defaulting to Y (there's little point in making something that is always
> > required a module).
>
> I myself prefer make menuconfig to make oldconfig, because I can easily see
> new options, and also invoke some help text that (tries to) explain what
> the option is about. Not to mention an easy-to-read "chain of dependencies"
> of an option.
>
> Rgds,

Hmm .... but the "H" option in 'make oldconfig' allows you to see the help
text before you decide to accept it or not. Of course, the help text itself
may require you to obtain a University degree in kernel hacking to decipher it
... but to some extent that's the fun of it all. ;-)
Mick

Old 07-28-2012, 08:19 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 17:30:38 +0100
Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Saturday 28 Jul 2012 16:59:10 Pandu Poluan wrote:
> > On Jul 28, 2012 10:29 PM, "Neil Bothwick" <neil@digimed.co.uk>
> > wrote:

> > > make oldconfig should pick up new options, that's what it's for.
> > > I've just upgraded a box from 3.4.4 to 3.5.0 and it prompted for
> > > this option, defaulting to Y (there's little point in making
> > > something that is always required a module).
> >
> > I myself prefer make menuconfig to make oldconfig, because I can
> > easily see new options, and also invoke some help text that (tries
> > to) explain what the option is about. Not to mention an
> > easy-to-read "chain of dependencies" of an option.
> >
> > Rgds,
>
> Hmm .... but the "H" option in 'make oldconfig' allows you to see the
> help text before you decide to accept it or not. Of course, the help
> text itself may require you to obtain a University degree in kernel
> hacking to decipher it ... but to some extent that's the fun of it
> all. ;-)

I use both:

first oldconfig to find the newly added stuff. Not dealing with these
right away breaks things horribly.

then menuconfig, mostly looking for driver pages that have lots of
things set - I can't possibly have all of that hardware so logically
few things must be set. menuconfig also lets me easily see things I hve
never explicitly set (which oldconfig can't do) and labels them (NEW)
which is distinctly different to what oldconfig calls new stuff

And in menuconfig, the / key engages search, just like in vim
--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com

Old 07-28-2012, 10:34 PM

On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 01:22:24PM +0300, v_2e@ukr.net wrote:
> Hello again!
> The problem is solved by adding the following kernel config option:
>
> CONFIG_HID_GENERIC=M
>
> This option was not present in the old configuration files, that is
> why simple 'make oldconfig' did not do the job.
>
> Thank you all for your responses and suggestions!
>
> Regards,
> Vladimir
>
> -----
> <v_2e@ukr.net>

Another reason why 'make oldconfig' should not be used for major kernel
upgrades....

Terry

Old 07-28-2012, 10:59 PM
Dale

v_2e@ukr.net wrote:
> Hello again!
> The problem is solved by adding the following kernel config option:
>
> CONFIG_HID_GENERIC=M
>
> This option was not present in the old configuration files, that is
> why simple 'make oldconfig' did not do the job.
>
> Thank you all for your responses and suggestions!
>
> Regards,
> Vladimir
>
> -----
> <v_2e@ukr.net>

I bet it showed up but you missed it. I did my update yesterday and was
prompted. I had to hit the ? to see what it was for and if it applied
to me tho. This is what I got when I hit the?:

* HID support
*
HID bus support (HID) [Y/?] y
/dev/hidraw raw HID device support (HIDRAW) [Y/n/?] y
Generic HID driver (HID_GENERIC) [Y/n/m/?] (NEW) ?

CONFIG_HID_GENERIC:

Support for generic devices on the HID bus. This includes most
keyboards and mice, joysticks, tablets and digitizers.

To compile this driver as a module, choose M here: the module
will be called hid-generic.

If unsure, say Y.

Symbol: HID_GENERIC [=y]
Type : tristate
Prompt: Generic HID driver
Defined at drivers/hid/Kconfig:56
Depends on: INPUT [=y] && HID [=y]
Location:
-> Device Drivers
-> HID support
-> HID bus support (HID [=y])

Generic HID driver (HID_GENERIC) [Y/n/m/?] (NEW) y

99 times out of a 100 you can ignore new stuff but this was one of those
1 out of a 100.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 07-28-2012, 11:14 PM
Dale

wrote:

> > * Hello again!

> > * The problem is solved by adding the following kernel
config option:

> > CONFIG_HID_GENERIC=M

> > * This option was not present in the old configuration
files, that is

> > why simple 'make oldconfig' did not do the job.

> make oldconfig should pick up new options, that's what it's
for. I've

> just upgraded a box from 3.4.4 to 3.5.0 and it prompted for
this option,

> defaulting to Y (there's little point in making something
that is always

> required a module).

I myself prefer make menuconfig to make oldconfig, because I
can easily see new options, and also invoke some help text that
(tries to) explain what the option is about. Not to mention an
easy-to-read "chain of dependencies" of an option.

Rgds,

If you run make oldconfig and don't know what a option is, just type
in "?" and it will print the same thing as in menuconfig.* Generally
the options are Y/n/m/? and that last one is the one that explains
it all.*

The funny thing is, I only use menuconfig when I am configuring a
kernel for the first time on a new rig.* After that, I use
oldconfig.* I have only had that fail once since about 2003 and that
was when they moved things around to the point that oldconfig
couldn't be used.*

Works for me.* That's odd.* If it could break, it would with me.*
;-)* Ask anyone.* lol

Dale

:-)* :-)*

Old 07-28-2012, 11:14 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 15:34:10 -0700
ny6p01@gmail.com wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 01:22:24PM +0300, v_2e@ukr.net wrote:
> > Hello again!
> > The problem is solved by adding the following kernel config
> > option:
> >
> > CONFIG_HID_GENERIC=M
> >
> > This option was not present in the old configuration files, that
> > is why simple 'make oldconfig' did not do the job.
> >
> > Thank you all for your responses and suggestions!
> >
> > Regards,
> > Vladimir
> >
> > -----
> > <v_2e@ukr.net>
> >

> Another reason why 'make oldconfig' should not be used for major
> kernel upgrades....

Eh? It proves the exact opposite.

oldconfig DOES show the new option, it is there, the OP simply didn't
see it there. Others did.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com

Old 07-29-2012, 12:41 AM
Peter Humphrey

On Saturday 28 July 2012 21:19:44 Alan McKinnon wrote:

> I use both:

Me too (sorry), though I find myself using oldconfig more often than
menuconfig these days, unless I want to comb right through the config
looking for things I could improve.

> first oldconfig to find the newly added stuff...then menuconfig, mostly
> looking for driver pages that have lots of things set - I can't
> possibly have all of that hardware so logically few things must be
> set. menuconfig also lets me easily see things I hve never explicitly
> set (which oldconfig can't do) and labels them (NEW) which is
> distinctly different to what oldconfig calls new stuff

Is it really? I thought they ought to be the same. And the only snag
with menuconfig for finding new options is that you have to navigate every
single menu - quite time-consuming*.

> And in menuconfig, the / key engages search, just like in vim

Ah. I knew about the ? key since it's in the prompt. Seems I can drop
the shift. Ta.

* Speaking of consuming time, would someone with an i7 please tell me
how long it takes to compile a new kernel? I'd like to compare it with
my i5, which after mrproper and copying the .config in from /boot, where
I store it for safe keeping, was 2 min 7 sec just now. (This is related
to another thread; perhaps I should have asked this there instead.)

--
Rgds
Peter