Old 07-29-2012, 12:45 AM
Peter Humphrey

Default SOLVED - Mouse does not work with kernel-3.5.0

On Saturday 28 July 2012 23:59:03 Dale wrote:

--->8

> I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood
> or how you interpreted my words!

Or: "I'm not sure whether you understood what you think I said, but what
you seem to have heard is not what I meant!"

--
Rgds
Peter

Old 07-29-2012, 04:54 AM
Bryan Gardiner

On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 01:45:38 +0100
Peter Humphrey <peter@humphrey.ukfsn.org> wrote:

> On Saturday 28 July 2012 23:59:03 Dale wrote:
>
> --->8
>
> > I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you
> > understood or how you interpreted my words!
>
> Or: "I'm not sure whether you understood what you think I said, but
> what you seem to have heard is not what I meant!"

Reminds me of:

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like
less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

I think I'll upgrade my kernel while this thread is fresh in my
mind. Thanks all.

- Bryan

Old 07-30-2012, 03:00 AM

On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 01:41:33AM +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Saturday 28 July 2012 21:19:44 Alan McKinnon wrote:
>
> > I use both:
>
> Me too (sorry), though I find myself using oldconfig more often than
> menuconfig these days, unless I want to comb right through the config
> looking for things I could improve.
>
> > first oldconfig to find the newly added stuff...then menuconfig, mostly
> > looking for driver pages that have lots of things set - I can't
> > possibly have all of that hardware so logically few things must be
> > set. menuconfig also lets me easily see things I hve never explicitly
> > set (which oldconfig can't do) and labels them (NEW) which is
> > distinctly different to what oldconfig calls new stuff
>
> Is it really? I thought they ought to be the same. And the only snag
> with menuconfig for finding new options is that you have to navigate every
> single menu - quite time-consuming*.
>
> > And in menuconfig, the / key engages search, just like in vim
>
> Ah. I knew about the ? key since it's in the prompt. Seems I can drop
> the shift. Ta.
>
> * Speaking of consuming time, would someone with an i7 please tell me
> how long it takes to compile a new kernel? I'd like to compare it with
> my i5, which after mrproper and copying the .config in from /boot, where
> I store it for safe keeping, was 2 min 7 sec just now. (This is related
> to another thread; perhaps I should have asked this there instead.)

Just by way of comparison, my Centrino laptop does it in about an hour flat.

Terry