Old 07-28-2012, 05:56 AM
Bryan Gardiner

Default icedtea-jdk and X

On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 18:22:10 +0400
Евгений Пермяков <permeakra@gmail.com> wrote:

> Can someone tell me, why my gentoo server wants X header to build
> icedtea jdk if USE="... -X ..." ? Ok, I understand that it is because
> maintainers wrote ebuild that requires X header unquestionable. But
> why they did so and can be something done about it? Do not want to
> have *-bin* package in system for perfectionism reasons.

Hi,

If it helps, it looks like dev-java/icedtea with USE=-X only requires
X to build, not to run. So after installation, the X packages can be
removed by "emerge --ask --depclean --with-bdeps=n packages...". Or
leave off "packages..." to see all installed packages that are not
needed for world packages to run (which should include X).

Of course you'll have to reinstall them if you want to rebuild icedtea...

Cheers,
Bryan

Old 07-28-2012, 12:30 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Fri, 27 Jul 2012 22:56:27 -0700
Bryan Gardiner <bog@khumba.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 18:22:10 +0400
> Евгений Пермяков <permeakra@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Can someone tell me, why my gentoo server wants X header to build
> > icedtea jdk if USE="... -X ..." ? Ok, I understand that it is
> > because maintainers wrote ebuild that requires X header
> > unquestionable. But why they did so and can be something done about
> > it? Do not want to have *-bin* package in system for perfectionism
> > reasons.
>
> Hi,
>
> If it helps, it looks like dev-java/icedtea with USE=-X only requires
> X to build, not to run. So after installation, the X packages can be
> removed by "emerge --ask --depclean --with-bdeps=n packages...". Or
> leave off "packages..." to see all installed packages that are not
> needed for world packages to run (which should include X).
>
> Of course you'll have to reinstall them if you want to rebuild
> icedtea...

Speaking somewhat generically:

Turns out this is fairly common in the real world. Huge numbers of java
apps have some form of config utility and most of them are (sadly) not
headless. They are gui-driven and that's the only way they can be
configured. We sysadmins don't like this, but there's not much we can
do about it.

So we compromise. It's fairly normal to install Xlibs on a box running
java and export the display. This appears to be what the
icedtea maintainers settled on.

At least the maintainers used their brain and require Xlibs, not a full
blown running X server.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com