Old 07-27-2012, 09:34 PM
Paul Hartman

Default intel HD graphics 4000 and viewing DVDs

On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 4:14 PM, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@nyu.edu> wrote:
> I forgot a big point. I have a very high res 30" monitor (2560x1600)
> and need to insure that the graphics card can drive the monitor at full
> res (I don't care about dvd's just software development and writing my
> lectures). I haven't received a definitive answer from dell about that.

I think monitors with resolution that high usually require a DVI-D
dual link connection. Ensure your new computer supports that. If it's
a newer laptop, it might not have DVI at all, but DisplayPort or HDMI
instead. There are DisplayPort and HDMI to DVI adapters available,
though I'm not familiar enough with the specifics to say which would
be compatible with your monitor.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:22 AM
Florian Philipp

Am 27.07.2012 22:57, schrieb Michael Mol:
> On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 4:39 PM, Florian Philipp <lists@binarywings.net> wrote:

>>> My Duron 750MHz was able to decode DVDs in realtime. After that, all
>>> you're doing is blitting (or using xv) the frames to the screen. I
>>> would be absolutely shocked if the Intel HD 4000 GPU couldn't handle
>>> that basic of a 2D acceleration function.
>>>
>>> Now, DVDs use MPEG2. Blu-Ray uses h.264, which is a much harder beast
>>> to decode in realtime. It's possible the HD 4000 GPU can't handle
>>> hardware decode of h.264, but I don't know. I've never looked into it.
>>> (Software decode of 1080p h.264 on my Phenom 9650 worked somewhat, but
>>> highly active scenes would cause frame drops.)
>>>

>> I've experienced issues playing DVDs on fullscreen with the OSS radeon
>> driver. Therefore I'm cautious of assumptions that something works
>> simply because the input is easy to decode. Upscaling to large displays
>> with high resolutions can be an issue.
>>
>> I'm not saying the Intel driver cannot handle it. I'm just saying you
>> should try it or look for reports.
>
> How high is 'high' resolution? I was upscaling to 1600x1200 using an a
> Radeon 9600; that card would now be almost ten years old. A bit later,
> I did the same on a 2.4GHz Pentium 4 using an i845-based Intel
> graphics card. Here's the line from lspci, as run in May of 2007:
>
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation
> 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device (rev 01)
>
> Hardware scaling a 2D image is one of the most trivial
> hardware-accelerated options GPUs perform. If someone had difficulties
> upscaling a 480p (roughly what DVDs are) to 1080p at 24 or 33fps, I
> would be very highly suspicious of a software misconfiguration. That
> kind of scaling should even be comfortably doable in software on any
> modern x86-derived processor. (With the plausible exclusion of the
> Atom CPU)

1920x1080, on-board Radeon HD 4250. I haven't diagnosed it further
(except of playing around with mplayer2 options) as it was easier to use
the closed source driver.

Regards,
Florian Philipp

Old 07-31-2012, 03:36 PM
Allan Gottlieb

On Fri, Jul 27 2012, Paul Hartman wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 4:14 PM, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@nyu.edu> wrote:
>> I forgot a big point. I have a very high res 30" monitor (2560x1600)
>> and need to insure that the graphics card can drive the monitor at full
>> res (I don't care about dvd's just software development and writing my
>> lectures). I haven't received a definitive answer from dell about that.
>
> I think monitors with resolution that high usually require a DVI-D
> dual link connection. Ensure your new computer supports that. If it's
> a newer laptop, it might not have DVI at all, but DisplayPort or HDMI
> instead. There are DisplayPort and HDMI to DVI adapters available,
> though I'm not familiar enough with the specifics to say which would
> be compatible with your monitor.

I am embarrassed to report that I again forgot to say everything needed.
I have an "e-port-replicator", which is dell-speak for something you
plug the laptop into and which then has a bunch of ports, including
displayport. My current laptop plugs into the replicator fine and does
indeed drive the 2560x1600 display.

All the new machines I am considering do support the e-port-replicator
so the only question I see remaining is whether the intel 4000 can drive
all these bits. I haven't yet got a definitive answer from dell so was
hoping someone here knew.

Thanks and sorry for not giving the info initially.
allan