Old 07-27-2012, 08:10 PM
Allan Gottlieb

Default intel HD graphics 4000 and viewing DVDs

I am getting a new laptop. (likely dell 6430).
The two graphics options are intel HD 4000 and nvidia NVS 5200M.
Dell is as expected suggesting the 5200M.

I do not need 3D or fast response. Dell hinted that DVDs might not play
with the intel HD 4000. This seems weird to me as the 4000 is supposed
to be a big improvement over the 3000 and I can't believe dell or others
would have sold laptops that can't play dvds

Any comments or experiences?

thanks,
allan

Old 07-27-2012, 08:22 PM
Michael Mol

On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 4:10 PM, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@nyu.edu> wrote:
> I am getting a new laptop. (likely dell 6430).
> The two graphics options are intel HD 4000 and nvidia NVS 5200M.
> Dell is as expected suggesting the 5200M.
>
> I do not need 3D or fast response. Dell hinted that DVDs might not play
> with the intel HD 4000. This seems weird to me as the 4000 is supposed
> to be a big improvement over the 3000 and I can't believe dell or others
> would have sold laptops that can't play dvds
>
> Any comments or experiences?

My Duron 750MHz was able to decode DVDs in realtime. After that, all
you're doing is blitting (or using xv) the frames to the screen. I
would be absolutely shocked if the Intel HD 4000 GPU couldn't handle
that basic of a 2D acceleration function.

Now, DVDs use MPEG2. Blu-Ray uses h.264, which is a much harder beast
to decode in realtime. It's possible the HD 4000 GPU can't handle
hardware decode of h.264, but I don't know. I've never looked into it.
(Software decode of 1080p h.264 on my Phenom 9650 worked somewhat, but
highly active scenes would cause frame drops.)

--
:wq

Old 07-27-2012, 08:39 PM
Florian Philipp

Am 27.07.2012 22:22, schrieb Michael Mol:
> On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 4:10 PM, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@nyu.edu> wrote:
>> I am getting a new laptop. (likely dell 6430).
>> The two graphics options are intel HD 4000 and nvidia NVS 5200M.
>> Dell is as expected suggesting the 5200M.
>>
>> I do not need 3D or fast response. Dell hinted that DVDs might not play
>> with the intel HD 4000. This seems weird to me as the 4000 is supposed
>> to be a big improvement over the 3000 and I can't believe dell or others
>> would have sold laptops that can't play dvds
>>
>> Any comments or experiences?
>
> My Duron 750MHz was able to decode DVDs in realtime. After that, all
> you're doing is blitting (or using xv) the frames to the screen. I
> would be absolutely shocked if the Intel HD 4000 GPU couldn't handle
> that basic of a 2D acceleration function.
>
> Now, DVDs use MPEG2. Blu-Ray uses h.264, which is a much harder beast
> to decode in realtime. It's possible the HD 4000 GPU can't handle
> hardware decode of h.264, but I don't know. I've never looked into it.
> (Software decode of 1080p h.264 on my Phenom 9650 worked somewhat, but
> highly active scenes would cause frame drops.)

I've experienced issues playing DVDs on fullscreen with the OSS radeon
driver. Therefore I'm cautious of assumptions that something works
simply because the input is easy to decode. Upscaling to large displays
with high resolutions can be an issue.

I'm not saying the Intel driver cannot handle it. I'm just saying you
should try it or look for reports.

Regards,
Florian Philipp

Old 07-27-2012, 08:57 PM
Michael Mol

On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 4:39 PM, Florian Philipp <lists@binarywings.net> wrote:
> Am 27.07.2012 22:22, schrieb Michael Mol:
>> On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 4:10 PM, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@nyu.edu> wrote:
>>> I am getting a new laptop. (likely dell 6430).
>>> The two graphics options are intel HD 4000 and nvidia NVS 5200M.
>>> Dell is as expected suggesting the 5200M.
>>>
>>> I do not need 3D or fast response. Dell hinted that DVDs might not play
>>> with the intel HD 4000. This seems weird to me as the 4000 is supposed
>>> to be a big improvement over the 3000 and I can't believe dell or others
>>> would have sold laptops that can't play dvds
>>>
>>> Any comments or experiences?
>>
>> My Duron 750MHz was able to decode DVDs in realtime. After that, all
>> you're doing is blitting (or using xv) the frames to the screen. I
>> would be absolutely shocked if the Intel HD 4000 GPU couldn't handle
>> that basic of a 2D acceleration function.
>>
>> Now, DVDs use MPEG2. Blu-Ray uses h.264, which is a much harder beast
>> to decode in realtime. It's possible the HD 4000 GPU can't handle
>> hardware decode of h.264, but I don't know. I've never looked into it.
>> (Software decode of 1080p h.264 on my Phenom 9650 worked somewhat, but
>> highly active scenes would cause frame drops.)
>>

> I've experienced issues playing DVDs on fullscreen with the OSS radeon
> driver. Therefore I'm cautious of assumptions that something works
> simply because the input is easy to decode. Upscaling to large displays
> with high resolutions can be an issue.
>
> I'm not saying the Intel driver cannot handle it. I'm just saying you
> should try it or look for reports.

How high is 'high' resolution? I was upscaling to 1600x1200 using an a
Radeon 9600; that card would now be almost ten years old. A bit later,
I did the same on a 2.4GHz Pentium 4 using an i845-based Intel
graphics card. Here's the line from lspci, as run in May of 2007:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation
82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device (rev 01)

Hardware scaling a 2D image is one of the most trivial
hardware-accelerated options GPUs perform. If someone had difficulties
upscaling a 480p (roughly what DVDs are) to 1080p at 24 or 33fps, I
would be very highly suspicious of a software misconfiguration. That
kind of scaling should even be comfortably doable in software on any
modern x86-derived processor. (With the plausible exclusion of the
Atom CPU)

--
:wq

Old 07-27-2012, 09:14 PM
Allan Gottlieb

On Fri, Jul 27 2012, Michael Mol wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 3:41 PM, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@nyu.edu> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 26 2012, Mark Knecht wrote:
>>
>>> Check the nvidia site. It will tell you the exact driver Rev that
>>> supports this GPU.
>>
>> Thanks. I see that 295.53 supports the NVS 5200M. Am I right in
>> believing that this means all drivers >= 295.53 support it.
>> This would be good as there are a few such in portage.
>
> It's actually very rare for nVidia to remove support for a card that it has.

Thanks. I agree and now that I think about it, I can always get the
older nvidia-driver from somewhere.

> On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 4:10 PM, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@nyu.edu> wrote:
>> I am getting a new laptop. (likely dell 6430).
>> The two graphics options are intel HD 4000 and nvidia NVS 5200M.
>> Dell is as expected suggesting the 5200M.
>>
>> I do not need 3D or fast response. Dell hinted that DVDs might not play
>> with the intel HD 4000. This seems weird to me as the 4000 is supposed
>> to be a big improvement over the 3000 and I can't believe dell or others
>> would have sold laptops that can't play dvds
>>
>> Any comments or experiences?
>
> My Duron 750MHz was able to decode DVDs in realtime. After that, all
> you're doing is blitting (or using xv) the frames to the screen. I
> would be absolutely shocked if the Intel HD 4000 GPU couldn't handle
> that basic of a 2D acceleration function.
>
> Now, DVDs use MPEG2. Blu-Ray uses h.264, which is a much harder beast
> to decode in realtime. It's possible the HD 4000 GPU can't handle
> hardware decode of h.264, but I don't know. I've never looked into it.
> (Software decode of 1080p h.264 on my Phenom 9650 worked somewhat, but
> highly active scenes would cause frame drops.)

Thanks. I am not getting a blu-ray player.

I forgot a big point. I have a very high res 30" monitor (2560x1600)
and need to insure that the graphics card can drive the monitor at full
res (I don't care about dvd's just software development and writing my
lectures). I haven't received a definitive answer from dell about that.

I am really in a quandary over the graphics card. The nvidia card is a
little new and not listed on the nouveau page (I have found nouveau
works much better than nvidia-drivers). Also it requires a bigger
battery and power adapter. Indeed with the intel 4000, I could get a
physically smaller dell 6430s with the same 14" screen (but somewhat
lower res).

allan