-   -   nvidia NVS 5200M (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/687909-nvidia-nvs-5200m.html)

Allan Gottlieb 07-26-2012 08:50 PM

nvidia NVS 5200M

I am buying a new laptop, most likely a dell 6340.
My choices for video are intel 4000 and nvidia nvs 5200M.

An important consideration is that I use (via an E-port replicator) a
30" 2560x1600 monitor

Dell (not surprisingly) recommends the nvidia saying they are not sure
the 4000 will be good enough for watching DVDs.

Assuming that is right, I want to be sure there is *some* driver for it.

I would prefer nouveau as it has been trouble free for me with my
current laptop, but I don't see the nvs 5200M listed.

For the nvidia driver I see that the "quadro nvs series" is supported
(for 290.10.00 and newer). Am I right that this includes the nvs 5200M.

Has anyone experience with these graphics cards?

Also how bad would it be with the intel 4000 and my hi-res display?

thanks,
allan

Mark Knecht 07-26-2012 11:13 PM

nvidia NVS 5200M

Check the nvidia site. It will tell you the exact driver Rev that
supports this GPU.

Mark

Thanasis 07-27-2012 06:52 AM

nvidia NVS 5200M

I would try to find out how much heat the nvidia card or any other card
would generate under load or even without load ...
You would not want a laptop to suffer from overheating ...

Allan Gottlieb 07-27-2012 07:12 PM

nvidia NVS 5200M

On Fri, Jul 27 2012, thanasis@asyr.hopto.org wrote:

> on 07/26/2012 11:50 PM Allan Gottlieb wrote the following:
>> I am buying a new laptop, most likely a dell 6340.
>> My choices for video are intel 4000 and nvidia nvs 5200M.
>>
>> An important consideration is that I use (via an E-port replicator) a
>> 30" 2560x1600 monitor
>>
>> Dell (not surprisingly) recommends the nvidia saying they are not sure
>> the 4000 will be good enough for watching DVDs.
>>
>> Assuming that is right, I want to be sure there is *some* driver for it.
>>
>> I would prefer nouveau as it has been trouble free for me with my
>> current laptop, but I don't see the nvs 5200M listed.
>>
>> For the nvidia driver I see that the "quadro nvs series" is supported
>> (for 290.10.00 and newer). Am I right that this includes the nvs 5200M.
>>
>> Has anyone experience with these graphics cards?
>>
>> Also how bad would it be with the intel 4000 and my hi-res display?
>>
> I would try to find out how much heat the nvidia card or any other card
> would generate under load or even without load ...
> You would not want a laptop to suffer from overheating ...

(please do not top post to this list)

This is a std dell product (it is nvidia mobile device) so I am not
worried about the heat. It will doubtless shorten battery time, but I
mostly am plugged in.

allan

Allan Gottlieb 07-27-2012 07:41 PM

nvidia NVS 5200M

On Thu, Jul 26 2012, Mark Knecht wrote:

> Check the nvidia site. It will tell you the exact driver Rev that
> supports this GPU.

Thanks. I see that 295.53 supports the NVS 5200M. Am I right in
believing that this means all drivers >= 295.53 support it.
This would be good as there are a few such in portage.

thanks again,
allan

Thanasis 07-27-2012 08:02 PM

nvidia NVS 5200M

on 07/27/2012 10:12 PM Allan Gottlieb wrote the following:

> This is a std dell product (it is nvidia mobile device) so I am not
> worried about the heat. It will doubtless shorten battery time, but I
> mostly am plugged in.
>
> allan

I wouldn't be so sure about it, after I had a bad experience with a
17-inch Fujitsu Siemens AMILO Xa 1526, which had an NVIDIA GeForce Go
7600 - 256MB DDR2. Powerfull graphics, but also a *very very* big heat
source. Plus, although the laptop was built in Germany, its airflow
design was totally inadequate to dissipate the heat even when the
graphics card was not working under load.
Under a load it was only a matter of minutes before it would crash.

Michael Mol 07-27-2012 08:16 PM

nvidia NVS 5200M

On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 3:41 PM, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@nyu.edu> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 26 2012, Mark Knecht wrote:
>
>> Check the nvidia site. It will tell you the exact driver Rev that
>> supports this GPU.
>
> Thanks. I see that 295.53 supports the NVS 5200M. Am I right in
> believing that this means all drivers >= 295.53 support it.
> This would be good as there are a few such in portage.

It's actually very rare for nVidia to remove support for a card that it has.

--
:wq

Mark Knecht 07-27-2012 09:10 PM

nvidia NVS 5200M

On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 12:41 PM, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@nyu.edu> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 26 2012, Mark Knecht wrote:
>
>> Check the nvidia site. It will tell you the exact driver Rev that
>> supports this GPU.
>
> Thanks. I see that 295.53 supports the NVS 5200M. Am I right in
> believing that this means all drivers >= 295.53 support it.
> This would be good as there are a few such in portage.
>
> thanks again,
> allan

Almost certainly yes. I've used only NVidia cards for about 12 years
and never had one I still cared to use become unsupported. Of course I
cannot guarantee the future but I think you're pretty much set with
any NVidia card these days.

Good luck,
Mark

Allan Gottlieb 07-27-2012 10:27 PM

nvidia NVS 5200M

On Fri, Jul 27 2012, thanasis@asyr.hopto.org wrote:

> on 07/27/2012 10:12 PM Allan Gottlieb wrote the following:
>>
>> This is a std dell product (it is nvidia mobile device) so I am not
>> worried about the heat. It will doubtless shorten battery time, but I
>> mostly am plugged in.
>>
>> allan
>>

> I wouldn't be so sure about it, after I had a bad experience with a
> 17-inch Fujitsu Siemens AMILO Xa 1526, which had an NVIDIA GeForce Go
> 7600 - 256MB DDR2. Powerfull graphics, but also a *very very* big heat
> source. Plus, although the laptop was built in Germany, its airflow
> design was totally inadequate to dissipate the heat even when the
> graphics card was not working under load.
> Under a load it was only a matter of minutes before it would crash.

That is pretty bad. I would have thought fujitsu wouldn't sell a
configuration so unstable. I am sure dell can be equally incompetent,
but NYU buys a lot from them so I am at least confident that they would
take it back.

allan

Daniel Troeder 07-28-2012 03:23 PM

nvidia NVS 5200M

On 26.07.2012 22:50, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
> I am buying a new laptop, most likely a dell 6340.
> My choices for video are intel 4000 and nvidia nvs 5200M.
Just make sure, that you don't get a "optimus" notebook.