-   -   Python TK (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/687677-python-tk.html)

Silvio Siefke 07-26-2012 10:50 AM

Python TK

Hello,

on my Netbook i use Sabayon, because all compile from source need much
time and it was not so really run. Can i ask here a question, because
i has problems with emerge.

I has Install the Game PySolFC, a python solitaire Game. It want not run,
because it miss imagingtk. So i try to rebuilt Python and Imaging with
the normal Gentoo Way.

Mistake in Game > http://nopaste.info/c04fddda9d.html
Recompile Python and Imaging > http://nopaste.info/090baf194d.html

I follow the advice what says emerge, but emerge do nothing.

gentoo-mobile siefke # emerge --newuse --update =dev-lang/python-2.7.2-r3
Calculating dependencies... done!
>>> Auto-cleaning packages...

>>> No outdated packages were found on your system.
gentoo-mobile siefke #

Has someone an idea?

Regards
Silvio

Alex Schuster 07-26-2012 11:23 AM

Python TK

Silvio Siefke writes:

> on my Netbook i use Sabayon, because all compile from source need much
> time and it was not so really run. Can i ask here a question, because
> i has problems with emerge.

Sure, and there doesn't even seem to be a Sabayon mailing list anyway.

> I has Install the Game PySolFC, a python solitaire Game. It want not
> run, because it miss imagingtk. So i try to rebuilt Python and Imaging
> with the normal Gentoo Way.
>
> Mistake in Game > http://nopaste.info/c04fddda9d.html
> Recompile Python and Imaging > http://nopaste.info/090baf194d.html
>
> I follow the advice what says emerge, but emerge do nothing.

Did you put tk in your USE flags for python? Like, having

dev-lang/python tk

in /etc/portage/package.use, if you want to have it for all versions of
python. If you only want that for 2.7, use this line:

dev-lang/python:2.7 tk

> gentoo-mobile siefke # emerge --newuse --update
> =dev-lang/python-2.7.2-r3 Calculating dependencies... done!

Should work, when the tk USE flag is set now, but wasn't set when python
2.7 was compiled. You can use emerge -pv dev-lang/python:2.7 to see which
USE flags are set.

Wonko

Neil Bothwick 07-26-2012 01:04 PM

Python TK

On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 12:50:09 +0200, Silvio Siefke wrote:

> on my Netbook i use Sabayon, because all compile from source need much
> time and it was not so really run. Can i ask here a question, because
> i has problems with emerge.

You could build packages in a chroot on a faster machine, that's what I
do to run Gentoo on lower-popwered devices.

> gentoo-mobile siefke # emerge --newuse --update
> =dev-lang/python-2.7.2-r3 Calculating dependencies... done!

> gentoo-mobile siefke #

That's correct, because you used --update, so the package is only built
if a newer version is available. Drop --update and it will build the
package.

--
Neil Bothwick

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Alex Schuster 07-26-2012 02:03 PM

Python TK

Neil Bothwick writes:

> On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 12:50:09 +0200, Silvio Siefke wrote:

> > gentoo-mobile siefke # emerge --newuse --update
> > =dev-lang/python-2.7.2-r3 Calculating dependencies... done!

> > gentoo-mobile siefke #
>
> That's correct, because you used --update, so the package is only built
> if a newer version is available. Drop --update and it will build the
> package.

It would build it, but with the same USE flags, so this would make no
change. If Silvia had changed the USE flag for python, --newuse would
make emerge rebuild it, with or without --update.

BTW, also add --oneshot / -1 to the emerge options, so the packages you
build manually do not end up in your world file. Unless you
explicitly want that, but when rebuilding existing things, they either
are already in world, or they are dependencies that do not need to be in
world.

Wonko

Ed LaBonte 07-26-2012 02:51 PM

Python TK

Silvio Siefke <siefke_listen@web.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> on my Netbook i use Sabayon, because all compile from source need much
> time and it was not so really run.

I installed gentoo on an acer one. It took 3 days. I had the time and didn't need to use it.

Silvio Siefke 07-26-2012 04:21 PM

Python TK

On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 10:51:34 -0400
Ed LaBonte <ewlabonte@riseup.net> wrote:

> I installed gentoo on an acer one. It took 3 days. I had the time and didn't need to use it.

I have installed Gentoo from Source it need 3 days too. But the configuration
was little hard. And then my disk was boke. So i look in net which Ports of
Gentoo give and i see Sabayon and well done.

On my desktop i use original Gentoo and really i love it.

Regards
Silvio

Silvio Siefke 07-26-2012 04:25 PM

Python TK

On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 14:04:37 +0100
Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

> You could build packages in a chroot on a faster machine, that's what I
> do to run Gentoo on lower-popwered devices.

Really that goes? With diffrent CPUs, Graphics and so? Because in Desktop is
Core 2 Duo with ATI Graphic and the network cards others. On Netbook run Atom,
Intel Graphic and Atheros Network.

> That's correct, because you used --update, so the package is only built
> if a newer version is available. Drop --update and it will build the
> package.

The problem was python27-tk, i have deinstalled and then
emerge -un dev-lang/python:2.7 and emerge -un imaging and all is running.

Regards
Silvio

Silvio Siefke 07-26-2012 04:28 PM

Python TK

On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 13:23:54 +0200
Alex Schuster <wonko@wonkology.org> wrote:

> Sure, and there doesn't even seem to be a Sabayon mailing list anyway.

No, on website is only found for Developers a list.

> Did you put tk in your USE flags for python? Like, having
>
> dev-lang/python tk
>
> in /etc/portage/package.use, if you want to have it for all versions of
> python. If you only want that for 2.7, use this line:
>
> dev-lang/python:2.7 tk

Yes i have and it was the package python27-tk, i delete and compile new and well
done.

Thanks, Regards
Silvio

Michael Mol 07-26-2012 04:36 PM

Python TK

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 12:25 PM, Silvio Siefke <siefke_listen@web.de> wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 14:04:37 +0100
> Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> You could build packages in a chroot on a faster machine, that's what I
>> do to run Gentoo on lower-popwered devices.
>
> Really that goes? With diffrent CPUs, Graphics and so? Because in Desktop is
> Core 2 Duo with ATI Graphic and the network cards others. On Netbook run Atom,
> Intel Graphic and Atheros Network.

Sure. Just keep your USE flags straight. Graphics boards shouldn't
make any difference at all in a cross-compiling scenario. As for
CPU...programs compiled to run on an Atom proc should have no problem
running on a Core 2 Duo.

Just don't use "-march=native" when cross-compiling. :)

--
:wq

Neil Bothwick 07-26-2012 04:43 PM

Python TK

On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 12:36:37 -0400, Michael Mol wrote:

> >> You could build packages in a chroot on a faster machine, that's
> >> what I do to run Gentoo on lower-popwered devices.
> >
> > Really that goes? With diffrent CPUs, Graphics and so? Because in
> > Desktop is Core 2 Duo with ATI Graphic and the network cards others.
> > On Netbook run Atom, Intel Graphic and Atheros Network.
>
> Sure. Just keep your USE flags straight. Graphics boards shouldn't
> make any difference at all in a cross-compiling scenario. As for
> CPU...programs compiled to run on an Atom proc should have no problem
> running on a Core 2 Duo.

There are a few issues running programs compiled for an Atom on an i7, I
had to build one or two programs natively, but overall it works very
well. You aren't running that much in the chroot, basically the
toolchain, so most programs don't actually need to run on the other
processor, as long as they compile.

I've been doing it this way for several years, mainly with Atom-based
systems but oslo on a system running a Geode LX, effectively a 486, which
would take rather a long time to compile natively.

--
Neil Bothwick

Kludge: (v., adj., or n.) to fix a program in the usual way.