Old 07-26-2012, 09:30 AM

Default Mouse does not work with kernel-3.5.0

Hello!
After upgrading to sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.5.0 my mouse stopped
working in X-session.
Has somebody experienced a similar problem? What are the ways to fix
it?

Thanks!
Vladimir
-----
<v_2e@ukr.net>

Old 07-26-2012, 09:36 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 12:30:38 +0300, v_2e@ukr.net wrote:

> After upgrading to sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.5.0 my mouse stopped
> working in X-session.

You haven't provided much information to go on so you're not going to get
much more than guesses and "it works for me" responses.

Have a look for errors, marked EE, in /var/log/Xorg.0.log.

How did you compile your new kernel, from scratch or with make oldconfig?
I suspect you may have missed something needed for evdev.

Did you update anything else at the same time?

--
Neil Bothwick

We are Pentium of Borg. You will be approximated. Resistance may or may
not be futile, except on every other Tuesday when it is a definite maybe.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:55 AM

Hello!

On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 10:36:23 +0100
Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 12:30:38 +0300, v_2e@ukr.net wrote:
>
> > After upgrading to sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.5.0 my mouse
> > stopped working in X-session.
>
> You haven't provided much information to go on so you're not going to
> get much more than guesses and "it works for me" responses.
>
> Have a look for errors, marked EE, in /var/log/Xorg.0.log.

Yes, I did
grep EE /var/log/Xorg.0.log
before posting. And there was no mention of a mouse.

> How did you compile your new kernel, from scratch or with make
> oldconfig? I suspect you may have missed something needed for evdev.

I did 'make oldconfig' as usual.
> Did you update anything else at the same time?

Yes, I upgraded several packages. Among relevant are:
x11-base/xorg-server-1.12.99.902
x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev-2.7.1
x11-drivers/xf86-input-synaptics-1.6.2
x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse-1.7.2
x11-drivers/xf86-input-keyboard-1.6.1
x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev-2.7.1
sys-fs/udev-186

I also removed the previously existing
'/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/25-mouse.conf' file and tried without it.
However it did not help.

I have just booted my previous kernel-3.4.5, and the mouse works fine
with the very same set of X-related programs and settings.

-----
<v_2e@ukr.net>

Old 07-28-2012, 06:35 AM
Bryan Gardiner

On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 12:55:12 +0300
v_2e@ukr.net wrote:

> Hello!
>
> On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 10:36:23 +0100
> Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 12:30:38 +0300, v_2e@ukr.net wrote:
> >
> > > After upgrading to sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.5.0 my mouse
> > > stopped working in X-session.
> >
> > You haven't provided much information to go on so you're not going
> > to get much more than guesses and "it works for me" responses.
> >
> > Have a look for errors, marked EE, in /var/log/Xorg.0.log.
> >
> Yes, I did
> grep EE /var/log/Xorg.0.log
> before posting. And there was no mention of a mouse.
>
> > How did you compile your new kernel, from scratch or with make
> > oldconfig? I suspect you may have missed something needed for evdev.
> >
> I did 'make oldconfig' as usual.
> > Did you update anything else at the same time?
> >
> Yes, I upgraded several packages. Among relevant are:
> x11-base/xorg-server-1.12.99.902
> x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev-2.7.1
> x11-drivers/xf86-input-synaptics-1.6.2
> x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse-1.7.2
> x11-drivers/xf86-input-keyboard-1.6.1
> x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev-2.7.1
> sys-fs/udev-186
>
> I also removed the previously existing
> '/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/25-mouse.conf' file and tried without it.
> However it did not help.
>
> I have just booted my previous kernel-3.4.5, and the mouse works
> fine with the very same set of X-related programs and settings.
>
> -----
> <v_2e@ukr.net>

Does the mouse work if you try starting X with /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d
empty? Or maybe re-emerge xf86-input-evdev, -synaptics, -mouse?

You should be able to check whether your kernel recognizes your mouse
with something like:

~ $ grep -ie mouse -e synaptics -e touch /proc/bus/input/devices
N: Name="SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"
H: Handlers=mouse0 event5
N: Name="USB Optical Mouse"
H: Handlers=mouse1 event7

Though I would think it's more likely a problem with upgrading your X
packages. The driver packages all need to be upgraded after the
server itself, and while I've always seen emerge get this right, I'm
not sure whether that's deliberate or a coincidence.

Cheers,
Bryan

Old 07-28-2012, 09:04 AM
Dale

Bryan Gardiner wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 12:55:12 +0300
> v_2e@ukr.net wrote:
>
>> Hello!
>>
>> On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 10:36:23 +0100
>> Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

>>> You haven't provided much information to go on so you're not going
>>> to get much more than guesses and "it works for me" responses.
>>>
>>> Have a look for errors, marked EE, in /var/log/Xorg.0.log.
>>>
>> Yes, I did
>> grep EE /var/log/Xorg.0.log
>> before posting. And there was no mention of a mouse.
>>
>>> How did you compile your new kernel, from scratch or with make
>>> oldconfig? I suspect you may have missed something needed for evdev.
>>>
>> I did 'make oldconfig' as usual.
>>> Did you update anything else at the same time?
>>>
>> Yes, I upgraded several packages. Among relevant are:
>> x11-base/xorg-server-1.12.99.902
>> x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev-2.7.1
>> x11-drivers/xf86-input-synaptics-1.6.2
>> x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse-1.7.2
>> x11-drivers/xf86-input-keyboard-1.6.1
>> x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev-2.7.1
>> sys-fs/udev-186
>>
>> I also removed the previously existing
>> '/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/25-mouse.conf' file and tried without it.
>> However it did not help.
>>
>> I have just booted my previous kernel-3.4.5, and the mouse works
>> fine with the very same set of X-related programs and settings.
>>
>> -----
>> <v_2e@ukr.net>
>>
> Does the mouse work if you try starting X with /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d
> empty? Or maybe re-emerge xf86-input-evdev, -synaptics, -mouse?
>
> You should be able to check whether your kernel recognizes your mouse
> with something like:
>
> ~ $ grep -ie mouse -e synaptics -e touch /proc/bus/input/devices
> N: Name="SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"
> H: Handlers=mouse0 event5
> N: Name="USB Optical Mouse"
> H: Handlers=mouse1 event7
>
> Though I would think it's more likely a problem with upgrading your X
> packages. The driver packages all need to be upgraded after the
> server itself, and while I've always seen emerge get this right, I'm
> not sure whether that's deliberate or a coincidence.
>
> Cheers,
> Bryan

It may not help but I just configed my new kernel with make oldconfig
and noticed there was a new/different driver for mice and keyboards.
Could it be that either the wrong one was used OR that the new one
should have been used instead of the old one?

Just thought I would mention this just in case.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 07-28-2012, 09:48 AM

Hello!

On Fri, 27 Jul 2012 23:35:14 -0700
Bryan Gardiner <bog@khumba.net> wrote:

> Does the mouse work if you try starting X with /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d
> empty? Or maybe re-emerge xf86-input-evdev, -synaptics, -mouse?

Yes, I re-emerged all the drivers after X-server upgrade.

> You should be able to check whether your kernel recognizes your mouse
> with something like:
>
> ~ $ grep -ie mouse -e synaptics -e touch /proc/bus/input/devices
> N: Name="SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"
> H: Handlers=mouse0 event5
> N: Name="USB Optical Mouse"
> H: Handlers=mouse1 event7

I tried this and it turned out that with my old kernel (3.4.5) , I
can see both Touchpad and USB mouse devices, whereas with the new one
(3.5.0) I can see only Touchpad.

I also discovered some difference in /var/log/messages log during
re-attaching the mouse to USB port with two different kernels: 3.4.5
and 3.5.0.
With 3.5.6 I get these messages (and mouse works):

kernel: usb 1-3: new low-speed USB device number 3 using ohci_hcd
kernel: usb 1-3: New USB device found, idVendor=0458, idProduct=003a
kernel: usb 1-3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2,
SerialNumber=0
kernel: usb1-3: Product: Optical Mouse
kernel: usb 1-3:Manufacturer: Genius
kernel: input: Genius Optical Mouse
as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:0b.0/usb1/1-3/1-3:1.0/input/input8
kernel: generic-usb 0003:0458:003A.0002: input: USB HID v1.10 Mouse
[Genius Optical Mouse] on usb-0000:00:0b.0-3/input0

With 3.5.0 I get only these:

kernel: usb 1-3: new low-speed USB device number 5 using ohci_hcd
kernel: usb 1-3: New USB device found, idVendor=0458, idProduct=003a
kernel: usb 1-3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2,
SerialNumber=0
kernel: usb 1-3: Product: Optical Mouse
kernel: usb 1-3: Manufacturer: Genius

So it looks like the problem is not with X-server, but with the new
kernel. I'm puzzled, because all the drivers I used with my old kernel
are there for the new one.

-----
<v_2e@ukr.net>

Old 07-28-2012, 10:24 AM
Mick

On Saturday 28 Jul 2012 10:48:18 v_2e@ukr.net wrote:
> Hello!
>
> On Fri, 27 Jul 2012 23:35:14 -0700
>
> Bryan Gardiner <bog@khumba.net> wrote:
> > Does the mouse work if you try starting X with /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d
> > empty? Or maybe re-emerge xf86-input-evdev, -synaptics, -mouse?
>
> Yes, I re-emerged all the drivers after X-server upgrade.
>
> > You should be able to check whether your kernel recognizes your mouse
> > with something like:
> >
> > ~ $ grep -ie mouse -e synaptics -e touch /proc/bus/input/devices
> > N: Name="SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"
> > H: Handlers=mouse0 event5
> > N: Name="USB Optical Mouse"
> > H: Handlers=mouse1 event7
>
> I tried this and it turned out that with my old kernel (3.4.5) , I
> can see both Touchpad and USB mouse devices, whereas with the new one
> (3.5.0) I can see only Touchpad.
>
> I also discovered some difference in /var/log/messages log during
> re-attaching the mouse to USB port with two different kernels: 3.4.5
> and 3.5.0.
> With 3.5.6 I get these messages (and mouse works):
>
> kernel: usb 1-3: new low-speed USB device number 3 using ohci_hcd
> kernel: usb 1-3: New USB device found, idVendor=0458, idProduct=003a
> kernel: usb 1-3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2,
> SerialNumber=0
> kernel: usb1-3: Product: Optical Mouse
> kernel: usb 1-3:Manufacturer: Genius
> kernel: input: Genius Optical Mouse
> as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:0b.0/usb1/1-3/1-3:1.0/input/input8
> kernel: generic-usb 0003:0458:003A.0002: input: USB HID v1.10 Mouse
> [Genius Optical Mouse] on usb-0000:00:0b.0-3/input0
>
> With 3.5.0 I get only these:
>
> kernel: usb 1-3: new low-speed USB device number 5 using ohci_hcd
> kernel: usb 1-3: New USB device found, idVendor=0458, idProduct=003a
> kernel: usb 1-3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2,
> SerialNumber=0
> kernel: usb 1-3: Product: Optical Mouse
> kernel: usb 1-3: Manufacturer: Genius
>
> So it looks like the problem is not with X-server, but with the new
> kernel. I'm puzzled, because all the drivers I used with my old kernel
> are there for the new one.

Or is it with the way the new kernel is passing device info to the X-server
and its modules?

I would try unmerging the mouse driver and only leave evdev and synaptics to
deal with input events. Initially try without an /etc/X11/xorg.conf and only
the default configuration for evdev. Then you can tweak the evdev
configuration file to see if it starts picking up the mouse events.
Mick