FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-26-2012, 07:43 AM
ivan ivanov
 
Default Gentoo package database

Hello, list. I am interesting how to find the package that contains the
file that i want to have in my system.
Let's suppose that latex tells me: File upgreek.sty not found. To solve
this i need to install dev-texlive/texlive-latexextra. But, if i do not
know this, i have to search the appropriate package. On debian i can
easily do this by visiting official database
http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages . On archlinux i can use "pkgfile
upgreek.sty" that searches through NOT INSTALLED packages.
I found site http://www.portagefilelist.de/ that does this job for
gentoo. But, as i suppose, it is third party project.


I cannot believe that such great project as gentoo does not have
OFFICIAL database, that allows to search package by the file name.


So, the question is: how to find the name of NOT installed package that
provides needed file?
 
Old 07-26-2012, 07:57 AM
Alan McKinnon
 
Default Gentoo package database

On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 11:43:53 +0400
ivan ivanov <grobokopatel@list.ru> wrote:

> Hello, list. I am interesting how to find the package that contains
> the file that i want to have in my system.
> Let's suppose that latex tells me: File upgreek.sty not found. To
> solve this i need to install dev-texlive/texlive-latexextra. But, if
> i do not know this, i have to search the appropriate package. On
> debian i can easily do this by visiting official database
> http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages . On archlinux i can use
> "pkgfile upgreek.sty" that searches through NOT INSTALLED packages.
> I found site http://www.portagefilelist.de/ that does this job for
> gentoo. But, as i suppose, it is third party project.
>
> I cannot believe that such great project as gentoo does not have
> OFFICIAL database, that allows to search package by the file name.
>
> So, the question is: how to find the name of NOT installed package
> that provides needed file?
>

First of all:

DO NOT HIJACK THREADS.

You replied to an existing thread, changed the subject line, deleted
the content and type your question. This is a big nono and is
considered exceptionally rude (it makes everyone else's mail client do
strange things with displaying threads). To start a new thread, compose
an entirely new mail and address it to gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org

To answer your question, what you want cannot be reliably done. This is
because of how Gentoo works.

In Debian for example, someone else builds the packages, they know
exactly what files will be installed ahead of time, and can put them in
a database for you to query.

Gentoo does not work like that. You build the packages, you specify the
USE flags and different flags can easily cause very different lists of
files to be installed. So the only person that can know exactly what
files you will install is you, there cannot ever be a 100% correct
database of this. Trust me, this has considered many times, you are not
the first.

http://www.portagefilelist.de/ is your best bet, it doesn't get better
than that.



--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com
 
Old 07-26-2012, 08:13 AM
Marc Joliet
 
Default Gentoo package database

Am Thu, 26 Jul 2012 09:57:54 +0200
schrieb Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com>:

> On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 11:43:53 +0400
> ivan ivanov <grobokopatel@list.ru> wrote:
>
> > Hello, list. I am interesting how to find the package that contains
> > the file that i want to have in my system.
> > Let's suppose that latex tells me: File upgreek.sty not found. To
> > solve this i need to install dev-texlive/texlive-latexextra. But, if
> > i do not know this, i have to search the appropriate package. On
> > debian i can easily do this by visiting official database
> > http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages . On archlinux i can use
> > "pkgfile upgreek.sty" that searches through NOT INSTALLED packages.
> > I found site http://www.portagefilelist.de/ that does this job for
> > gentoo. But, as i suppose, it is third party project.
> >
> > I cannot believe that such great project as gentoo does not have
> > OFFICIAL database, that allows to search package by the file name.
> >
> > So, the question is: how to find the name of NOT installed package
> > that provides needed file?
> >
>
> First of all:
>
> DO NOT HIJACK THREADS.

Yes, that is very annoying.

[...]
> To answer your question, what you want cannot be reliably done. This is
> because of how Gentoo works.
>
> In Debian for example, someone else builds the packages, they know
> exactly what files will be installed ahead of time, and can put them in
> a database for you to query.
>
> Gentoo does not work like that. You build the packages, you specify the
> USE flags and different flags can easily cause very different lists of
> files to be installed. So the only person that can know exactly what
> files you will install is you, there cannot ever be a 100% correct
> database of this. Trust me, this has considered many times, you are not
> the first.
>
> http://www.portagefilelist.de/ is your best bet, it doesn't get better
> than that.

Actually, for the special case of latex packages, his best bet is
dev-tex/texmfind.

HTH
--
Marc Joliet
--
"People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup
 
Old 07-26-2012, 08:15 AM
ivan ivanov
 
Default Gentoo package database

DO NOT HIJACK THREADS.

You replied to an existing thread, changed the subject line, deleted
the content and type your question. This is a big nono and is
considered exceptionally rude (it makes everyone else's mail client do
strange things with displaying threads).
Sorry, i did not know this. I never encountered such behavior on other
mailing lists.
 
Old 07-26-2012, 06:55 PM
Alan McKinnon
 
Default Gentoo package database

On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 10:13:32 +0200
Marc Joliet <marcec@gmx.de> wrote:

> > http://www.portagefilelist.de/ is your best bet, it doesn't get
> > better than that.
>
> Actually, for the special case of latex packages, his best bet is
> dev-tex/texmfind.

Interesting, I didn't know about that one.

I'll have to make a note for future use

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com
 
Old 07-27-2012, 06:59 PM
Mick
 
Default Gentoo package database

On Thursday 26 Jul 2012 09:15:42 ivan ivanov wrote:
> > DO NOT HIJACK THREADS.
> >
> > You replied to an existing thread, changed the subject line, deleted
> > the content and type your question. This is a big nono and is
> > considered exceptionally rude (it makes everyone else's mail client do
> > strange things with displaying threads).
>
> Sorry, i did not know this. I never encountered such behavior on other
> mailing lists.

No probs. Most of us use plain text, threaded display in our mail/news
clients and hijacking a thread breaks the thread up. Not nice when one tries
to search through past threads for answers and comes across unrelated content.

At least you don't use HTML and you don't Top Post. So you got 2 out of 3
deadly sins right. ;-)
--
Regards,
Mick
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 11:59 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org