Old 07-24-2012, 10:12 PM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"

Default moving rsnapshots

a bit OT as it is not gentoo-specific:

how to move the data stored by rsnapshot from A to B ?

I run an "rsync -a" and see that the target already uses up more space
than the source. So all this linking seems not to be synced in the
correct way, to save space.

Thanks for any insight on this ... Stefan

Old 07-24-2012, 10:52 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Wed, 25 Jul 2012 00:12:31 +0200, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:

> I run an "rsync -a" and see that the target already uses up more space
> than the source. So all this linking seems not to be synced in the
> correct way, to save space.

Does rsnapshot use hard links? If so, you need to use -H with rsync.

--
Neil Bothwick

WWW: World Wide Wait

Old 07-24-2012, 11:03 PM

Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@xunil.at> wrote:

> a bit OT as it is not gentoo-specific:
>
> how to move the data stored by rsnapshot from A to B ?
>
> I run an "rsync -a" and see that the target already uses up more space
> than the source. So all this linking seems not to be synced in the
> correct way, to save space.
Do you have the H option in your rsync -- I am pretty sure that options
says keep hard links.

How do
you spend it?

John Covici
covici@ccs.covici.com

Old 07-25-2012, 07:52 AM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"

Am 25.07.2012 01:03, schrieb covici@ccs.covici.com:
> Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@xunil.at> wrote:
>

>> a bit OT as it is not gentoo-specific:
>>
>> how to move the data stored by rsnapshot from A to B ?
>>
>> I run an "rsync -a" and see that the target already uses up more space
>> than the source. So all this linking seems not to be synced in the
>> correct way, to save space.
> Do you have the H option in your rsync -- I am pretty sure that options
> says keep hard links.

Thanks to both of you, we try "rsync -aH" now.

It would be worth testing if it also works to "replace copied files by
hard links" with "-H" but I will have to do it elsewhere ... this is
production data ... on a box with ancient version of LVM2 ...

Thanks, Stefan

Old 07-26-2012, 08:38 PM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"

Am 25.07.2012 09:52, schrieb Stefan G. Weichinger:

> It would be worth testing if it also works to "replace copied files by
> hard links" with "-H" but I will have to do it elsewhere ... this is
> production data ... on a box with ancient version of LVM2 ...

"-H" takes ages ... while it is correct.

Found the script rsnapshot-copy (not part of the gentoo-rsnapshot-build,
but part of rsnapshot in other distros) which splits the one huge job
into smaller steps.

Still waiting for that copy, though ;-)

Old 07-27-2012, 04:23 PM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"

Am 2012-07-26 22:38, schrieb Stefan G. Weichinger:
> Am 25.07.2012 09:52, schrieb Stefan G. Weichinger:
>
>> It would be worth testing if it also works to "replace copied files by
>> hard links" with "-H" but I will have to do it elsewhere ... this is
>> production data ... on a box with ancient version of LVM2 ...
>
> "-H" takes ages ... while it is correct.
>
> Found the script rsnapshot-copy (not part of the gentoo-rsnapshot-build,
> but part of rsnapshot in other distros) which splits the one huge job
> into smaller steps.
>
> Still waiting for that copy, though ;-)

~36 hrs for ~600GB net data ... hundreds of thousands of links.