Old 07-23-2012, 09:52 AM

Default 'profile' USE-flag - what for?

Hello!
Could somebody please explain me the role of "profile' USE-flag for a
regular user's PC?

"profile : Adds support for software performance analysis (will likely
vary from ebuild to ebuild)"

* Is if of any use in such case at all?
* If it is, what does it provide for a regular user?
* Is it safe to turn it off?

Thanks!
Vladimir

-----
<v_2e@ukr.net>

Old 07-23-2012, 09:57 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 12:52:43 +0300
v_2e@ukr.net wrote:

> Hello!
> Could somebody please explain me the role of "profile' USE-flag for
> a regular user's PC?
>
> "profile : Adds support for software performance analysis (will
> likely vary from ebuild to ebuild)"

It's a generic catch-all USE flag and it has nothing to do with gentoo
profiles at all.

Because it's so generic, each ebuild will use it differently. Each
package will have it's own idea on how to enable profiling, and each
package will be different. You have to know how eacjh package does
profiling for this flag to be any use at all

> * Is if of any use in such case at all?

Are you running the software through a performance profiler?

If not, then you don't need the flag enabled.

> * If it is, what does it provide for a regular user?

Run "equery hasuse profile" on your host and read each ebuild listed.

For regular users, the flag ius highly unlikely to be of any use at all

> * Is it safe to turn it off?

Yes

--
Alan McKinnon