Old 07-25-2012, 04:17 AM
Michael Mol

Default Printer isn't working. Help, please!

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 11:18 PM, Bill Kenworthy <billk@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-07-24 at 21:54 -0500, Dale wrote:
>> Paul Hartman wrote:

>> > I had to blacklist the usblp module for CUPS to work with my printer. FWIW.
>> >

>> I think I read something about this a while back. Maybe google can turn
>> up a reason why since my memory is like a screen door, only catches some
>> stuff but lets everything else flow right through. ;-)
>>
>> Since I have not had any trouble with my printer, I bet it was on this
>> mailing list or KDE's mailing list. Those are the only two I subscribe
>> to.
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> :-) :-)
>>

> This broke my printing as well - I went the route of taking the module
> out of the kernel config. But what I didnt resolve to my satisfaction,
> is what is the best solution? - there are two that work but which
> *should* we use?

I believe allowing CUPS to handle it directly is the preferred
solution. Though that's not ideal if you're looking to, e.g. dump a
text file directly to /dev/lp0, or write syslog to a printer.

So, really, it depends on your use case. I expect the majority of
people would find they want CUPS to handle it.

--
:wq