Old 07-20-2012, 10:58 AM
Samuraiii

Default systemd and gnome3

Hi,

I would be also interested in such configuration preview.

On 2012-07-20 11:56, Stefan G.
Weichinger wrote:

Does anyone use systemd on gentoo, with gnome3?

Would someone share a tarball of /etc/systemd/system with me (off-list)
so I could figure out what services and stuff are needed?

Tried to follow the wiki-pages, but somehow after logging into gdm the
session hangs ...

Thanks, Stefan

--

Samuraiii

e-mail: samurai.no.dojo@gmail.com

GnuPG key ID: 0x80C752EA
(obtainable on http://pgp.mit.edu)

Full copy
of public timestamp block
signatures id- (from ) is included in header of html.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:43 PM
Peter Alfredsen

(I am assuming that you are using systemd-186 -- all earlier releases
I checked have bugs I ran into)

If it's right after logging in, then I would suspect some PAM
deficiency. I wrote a bit about this on G+ yesterday:
"For anyone battling the trifecta of PAM, systemd and gnome on Gentoo,
take note that once you've gotten rid of consolekit, you need to add
the line:
-session optional pam_systemd.so
to system-auth, system-login and system-services in /etc/pam.d
The first two are documented elsewhere but the last one ensures that
gdm-welcome registers with systemd-logind, which fixed reboot from gdm
and gnome not working for me."

And, you need to get USE=-consolekit and mask consolekit, and you need
to get pulseaudio rebuilt after installing systemd and you need to get
>=polkit-0.107 working. That last bit was a bit hairy for those who
lived through it, but now I think it should do to:
chown -R polkitdolkitd /var/lib/polkit-1

Generally, as long as you start services the right way:
systemctl start gdm.service (for example)
and they start without error, the dependency checking should get all
the dependencies started also.

FWIW, here's the output of "find /etc/systemd/system", but those are
all symlinks to /usr/lib/systemd/system
/etc/systemd/system/
/etc/systemd/system/bluetooth.target.wants
/etc/systemd/system/bluetooth.target.wants/bluetooth.service
/etc/systemd/system/default.target
/etc/systemd/system/graphical.target.wants
/etc/systemd/system/graphical.target.wants/rtkit-daemon.service
/etc/systemd/system/graphical.target.wants/gdm.service
/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants
/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/remote-fs.target
/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/ntpd.service
/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/NetworkManager.service
/etc/systemd/system/getty.target.wants
/etc/systemd/system/getty.target.wants/getty@tty1.service
/etc/systemd/system/dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service
/etc/systemd/system/local-fs.target.wants
/etc/systemd/system/sysinit.target.wants
/etc/systemd/system/network.target.wants
/etc/systemd/system/network.target.wants/NetworkManager-wait-online.service

/Peter

Old 07-20-2012, 01:42 PM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"

Am 2012-07-20 14:43, schrieb Peter Alfredsen:
> (I am assuming that you are using systemd-186 -- all earlier releases
> I checked have bugs I ran into)

thanks for all the information ... added those pam.d-lines, no success

Unmasking systemd-186 brought up dependencies like udev .. I hesitate to
go bleeding edge there as well.

So maybe I just cancel this for now.

Thanks, anyway, Stefan

Old 07-20-2012, 01:54 PM
Peter Alfredsen

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 3:42 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@xunil.at> wrote:
> Am 2012-07-20 14:43, schrieb Peter Alfredsen:
>> (I am assuming that you are using systemd-186 -- all earlier releases
>> I checked have bugs I ran into)
>
> thanks for all the information ... added those pam.d-lines, no success
>
> Unmasking systemd-186 brought up dependencies like udev .. I hesitate to
> go bleeding edge there as well.
>
> So maybe I just cancel this for now.

Yeah udev is incorporated into later versions of systemd on gentoo and
the reason it is masked is because you have to do some
package.provided magic to get it all to work.

/Peter

Old 07-20-2012, 02:42 PM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"

Am 2012-07-20 15:54, schrieb Peter Alfredsen:

> Yeah udev is incorporated into later versions of systemd on gentoo and
> the reason it is masked is because you have to do some
> package.provided magic to get it all to work.

sounds as if all this is still to much "beta" for me to make it worth
the effort.

Thanks, Stefan

Old 07-20-2012, 03:00 PM
Peter Alfredsen

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 4:42 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@xunil.at> wrote:
> Am 2012-07-20 15:54, schrieb Peter Alfredsen:
>
>> Yeah udev is incorporated into later versions of systemd on gentoo and
>> the reason it is masked is because you have to do some
>> package.provided magic to get it all to work.
>
> sounds as if all this is still to much "beta" for me to make it worth
> the effort.

Nah, it's perfectly stable once you get over the first hurdles. It's
just not integrated into Gentoo at the moment.

/Peter

Old 07-20-2012, 03:30 PM
Canek Peláez Valdés

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 4:56 AM, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@xunil.at> wrote:

> Does anyone use systemd on gentoo, with gnome3?
>
> Would someone share a tarball of /etc/systemd/system with me (off-list)
> so I could figure out what services and stuff are needed?
>
> Tried to follow the wiki-pages, but somehow after logging into gdm the
> session hangs ...

I'm running GNOME 3 with, systemd 44 and udev 186, the first from my overlay:

https://github.com/canek-pelaez/gentoo-systemd-only/

However, the ebuilds in my overlay just change some dependencies so I
don't need to install OpenRC. Otherwise, they are identical to the
ones in the official tree. As Peter, I have the line

-session optional pam_systemd.so

in /etc/pam.d/system-auth. However, I still have consolekit started
(no problems whatsoever).

All in all, I run systemd+GNOME3 very close to the official tree, as I
said. I have been doing it since last year; usually I don't have any
problem. A little more info would help; what does
$HOME/.xsession-errors says?

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México

Old 07-20-2012, 03:54 PM
Peter Alfredsen

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 5:30 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 4:56 AM, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@xunil.at> wrote:
>>
>> Does anyone use systemd on gentoo, with gnome3?
>>
>> Would someone share a tarball of /etc/systemd/system with me (off-list)
>> so I could figure out what services and stuff are needed?
>>
>> Tried to follow the wiki-pages, but somehow after logging into gdm the
>> session hangs ...
>
> I'm running GNOME 3 with, systemd 44 and udev 186, the first from my overlay:
>
> https://github.com/canek-pelaez/gentoo-systemd-only/
>
> However, the ebuilds in my overlay just change some dependencies so I
> don't need to install OpenRC. Otherwise, they are identical to the
> ones in the official tree. As Peter, I have the line
>
> -session optional pam_systemd.so
>
> in /etc/pam.d/system-auth. However, I still have consolekit started
> (no problems whatsoever).

There were some integration issues in upstream Gnome where most
distros changed abruptly from using consolekit to systemd-logind which
affected me when I went from systemd-44 to -185 because I ran into
some race condition with -44. I imagine using consolekit will probably
work in ~arch with no unmasks if you don't run into those race
conditions on -44. But you gotta admit, it will probably be easier to
follow the way Redhat is doing it than starting mixing and matching,
because you will know that at least your combination works somewhere.

/Peter

Old 07-20-2012, 04:08 PM
Canek Peláez Valdés

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 10:54 AM, Peter Alfredsen
<peter.alfredsen@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 5:30 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 4:56 AM, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@xunil.at> wrote:
>>>
>>> Does anyone use systemd on gentoo, with gnome3?
>>>
>>> Would someone share a tarball of /etc/systemd/system with me (off-list)
>>> so I could figure out what services and stuff are needed?
>>>
>>> Tried to follow the wiki-pages, but somehow after logging into gdm the
>>> session hangs ...
>>
>> I'm running GNOME 3 with, systemd 44 and udev 186, the first from my overlay:
>>
>> https://github.com/canek-pelaez/gentoo-systemd-only/
>>
>> However, the ebuilds in my overlay just change some dependencies so I
>> don't need to install OpenRC. Otherwise, they are identical to the
>> ones in the official tree. As Peter, I have the line
>>
>> -session optional pam_systemd.so
>>
>> in /etc/pam.d/system-auth. However, I still have consolekit started
>> (no problems whatsoever).
>
> There were some integration issues in upstream Gnome where most
> distros changed abruptly from using consolekit to systemd-logind which
> affected me when I went from systemd-44 to -185 because I ran into
> some race condition with -44. I imagine using consolekit will probably
> work in ~arch with no unmasks if you don't run into those race
> conditions on -44. But you gotta admit, it will probably be easier to
> follow the way Redhat is doing it than starting mixing and matching,
> because you will know that at least your combination works somewhere.

Not really "mix and match". I run systemd/udev/GNOME3 in ~amd64,
that's all, and I don't unmask any hard masked package. It's been
working fine like that since, oh I don't know, when they removed the
mask on GNOME 3?

Again, Stefan has probably a valid problem, and we need more info to
nail it down (hence the petition for $HOME/.xsession-errors). Just
unmasking everything and hoping that will solve the issues is usually
not the best practice; specially since the Gentoo developers haven't
decided how to handle the merge of udev/systemd.

Some want to provide a virtual/udev that systemd satisfy, and others
want to keep things as they were before the merge, with the udev
ebuild simply not installing the systemd parts.

Given that they haven't reached an agreement, I would *highly*
recommend not trying yet systemd/udev >= 186.

Regards.

Old 07-20-2012, 05:21 PM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"

Am 20.07.2012 18:08, schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés:

> Not really "mix and match". I run systemd/udev/GNOME3 in ~amd64,
> that's all, and I don't unmask any hard masked package. It's been
> working fine like that since, oh I don't know, when they removed the
> mask on GNOME 3?

Thanks for motivating me!

I will try to use your overlay ...

> Again, Stefan has probably a valid problem, and we need more info to
> nail it down (hence the petition for $HOME/.xsession-errors).

See attachment.

Do I need rtkit or not?

I also had added the USE-flag "systemd" and re-built every package
having that useflag.

> Just
> unmasking everything and hoping that will solve the issues is usually
> not the best practice; specially since the Gentoo developers haven't
> decided how to handle the merge of udev/systemd.
>
> Some want to provide a virtual/udev that systemd satisfy, and others
> want to keep things as they were before the merge, with the udev
> ebuild simply not installing the systemd parts.
>
> Given that they haven't reached an agreement, I would *highly*
> recommend not trying yet systemd/udev >= 186.

OK, fine, thanks so far.

/etc/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
localuser:sgw being added to access control list
/etc/gdm/Xsession: Setup done, will execute: /usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session /usr/bin/ssh-agent -- gnome-session
GNOME_KEYRING_CONTROL=/tmp/keyring-uskBGJ
GNOME_KEYRING_CONTROL=/tmp/keyring-uskBGJ
GNOME_KEYRING_CONTROL=/tmp/keyring-uskBGJ
SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/keyring-uskBGJ/ssh
GPG_AGENT_INFO=/tmp/keyring-uskBGJ/gpg:0:1
GNOME_KEYRING_CONTROL=/tmp/keyring-uskBGJ
SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/keyring-uskBGJ/ssh

(gnome-settings-daemon:5621): common-plugin-WARNING **: Key 0x0 (keycodes: 130) with state 0x0 (resolved to 0x0) has no usable modifiers (usable modifiers are 0x140000ed)

(gnome-settings-daemon:5621): common-plugin-WARNING **: Key 0x0 (keycodes: 236) with state 0x0 (resolved to 0x0) has no usable modifiers (usable modifiers are 0x140000ed)
Initializing tracker-store...
Initializing tracker-miner-fs...
Tracker-Message: Setting up monitor for changes to config file:'/home/sgw/.config/tracker/tracker-store.cfg'
Tracker-Message: Setting up monitor for changes to config file:'/home/sgw/.config/tracker/tracker-miner-fs.cfg'
Tracker-Message: Setting up monitor for changes to config file:'/home/sgw/.config/tracker/tracker-store.cfg'
Starting log:
File:'/home/sgw/.local/share/tracker/tracker-miner-fs.log'
Starting log:
File:'/home/sgw/.local/share/tracker/tracker-store.log'
Failed to play sound: File or data not found

** (gnome-screensaver:5656): WARNING **: Config key not handled: disable-application-handlers

** (gnome-screensaver:5656): WARNING **: Config key not handled: disable-command-line

** (gnome-screensaver:5656): WARNING **: Config key not handled: disable-log-out

** (gnome-screensaver:5656): WARNING **: Config key not handled: disable-print-setup

** (gnome-screensaver:5656): WARNING **: Config key not handled: disable-printing

** (gnome-screensaver:5656): WARNING **: Config key not handled: disable-save-to-disk
Initializing nautilus-dropbox 1.4.0
Starting Dropbox...
HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.12.6)
System Tray Status Service ver. 2.0

Copyright (c) 2001-14 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

** Message: applet now removed from the notification area
warning: No hp: or hpfax: devices found in any installed CUPS queue. Exiting.
Done!

(nautilus:5655): libnotify-WARNING **: Failed to connect to proxy
ERROR:dbus.proxies:Introspect error on :1.14:/org/freedesktop/Notifications: dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

(gnome-settings-daemon:5621): color-plugin-WARNING **: Done switch to new account, reload devices

(gnome-settings-daemon:5621): color-plugin-WARNING **: Done switch to new account, reload devices