Old 07-20-2012, 07:31 AM
Philip Webb

Default new machine : (2) HDD or SSD ?

My regular machine has a Seagate SATA 320 GB ( 3 Gb/s 16 MB ).

Have SSDs reached the point where they are reliable & long-lasting ?
Should I perhaps install an SSD for some uses + an HDD for others ?
Is it viable to use an SSD for Portage ?

Apart from Portage + a few everyday files,
there isn't much churn among the stuff I have on my existing HDD (above).

I saw a recent thread on this topic, but further thoughts are welcome.

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb

Old 07-20-2012, 08:12 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Fri, 20 Jul 2012 03:31:44 -0400, Philip Webb wrote:

> Have SSDs reached the point where they are reliable & long-lasting ?

Yes.

> Should I perhaps install an SSD for some uses + an HDD for others ?

That depends on how much storage you need. For large file storage,
especially things like video and ISO images where speed is less
important, a hard drive is good.

--
Neil Bothwick

Earlier, I didn't have time to finish anything. This time I w

Old 07-20-2012, 03:48 PM
Paul Hartman

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 2:31 AM, Philip Webb <purslow@ca.inter.net> wrote:
> Is it viable to use an SSD for Portage ?

My nearly decade-old laptop, with a crappy Chinese brand of PATA SSD
blows away my i7 desktop which has a fast HDD and 12GB of RAM when it
comes to emerge --sync and portage searches. Not to mention the laptop
boots to graphical login prompt in less than 5 seconds after I choose
Linux in the GRUB menu. Less heat and power usage, too.

So I think any modern computer with modern SSD should really fly.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:05 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

Am Freitag, 20. Juli 2012, 03:31:44 schrieb Philip Webb:
> My regular machine has a Seagate SATA 320 GB ( 3 Gb/s 16 MB ).
>
> Have SSDs reached the point where they are reliable & long-lasting ?
> Should I perhaps install an SSD for some uses + an HDD for others ?
> Is it viable to use an SSD for Portage ?
>
> Apart from Portage + a few everyday files,
> there isn't much churn among the stuff I have on my existing HDD (above).
>
> I saw a recent thread on this topic, but further thoughts are welcome.

forget the i7. Buy something a lot cheaper and invest the money into a nice,
fat SSD like Vertex3.

Money well spent.

--
#163933

Old 07-22-2012, 04:19 PM
Jacques Montier

Hello,
I have just a (maybe silly) question...I saw on some forums that partitionning SSDs could slow down read/write access.Is it true or simply intox ?On my sata HD, i have boot, /, usr and home separated partitions.
What do you think of it ?
Thank you,
Cheers
--Jacques*

Old 07-22-2012, 05:00 PM
Michael Hampicke

> I have just a (maybe silly) question...
> I saw on some forums that partitionning SSDs could slow down read/write
> access.
> Is it true or simply intox ?
> On my sata HD, i have boot, /, usr and home separated partitions.
> What do you think of it ?

This could happen of the partitions on the SSD are not properly aligned.
The guides I know on this subject are german, but thats no problem, just
do a google search for something like "linux ssd partition alignment".
There you will find all the ansers you need.

If I remember correctly parted has a built-in alignment check.

Old 07-22-2012, 05:13 PM
Pandu Poluan

On Jul 22, 2012 11:23 PM, "Jacques Montier" <jmontier@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,

> I have just a (maybe silly) question...

> I saw on some forums that partitionning SSDs could slow down read/write access.

> Is it true or simply intox ?

> On my sata HD, i have boot, /, usr and home separated partitions.

> What do you think of it ?

> Thank you,

> Cheers

My intuition said that separating a hard disk into several partitions should result in a slightly faster system, because writes to different partitions will not cause metadata contention (e.g., journal, volume bitmap, etc.)

But that's just my intuition; I'd be very interested in a definitive answer from anyone well-versed in filesystems.

Rgds,

Old 07-22-2012, 05:17 PM
Jacques Montier

Thanks Michael
--Jacques

Old 07-22-2012, 05:30 PM
Pandu Poluan

On Jul 23, 2012 12:05 AM, "Michael Hampicke" <gentoo-user@hadt.biz> wrote:

> > I have just a (maybe silly) question...

> > I saw on some forums that partitionning SSDs could slow down read/write

> > access.

> > Is it true or simply intox ?

> > On my sata HD, i have boot, /, usr and home separated partitions.

> > What do you think of it ?

> This could happen of the partitions on the SSD are not properly aligned.

> The guides I know on this subject are german, but thats no problem, just

> do a google search for something like "linux ssd partition alignment".

> There you will find all the ansers you need.

> If I remember correctly parted has a built-in alignment check.

Even the venerable fdisk now properly align partitions, IIRC.

Rgds,

Old 07-22-2012, 05:46 PM
Florian Philipp

Am 22.07.2012 19:30, schrieb Pandu Poluan:

> On Jul 23, 2012 12:05 AM, "Michael Hampicke" <gentoo-user@hadt.biz
> <mailto:gentoo-user@hadt.biz>> wrote:
>>
>> > I have just a (maybe silly) question...
>> > I saw on some forums that partitionning SSDs could slow down read/write
>> > access.
>> > Is it true or simply intox ?
>> > On my sata HD, i have boot, /, usr and home separated partitions.
>> > What do you think of it ?
>>
>> This could happen of the partitions on the SSD are not properly aligned.
>> The guides I know on this subject are german, but thats no problem, just
>> do a google search for something like "linux ssd partition alignment".
>> There you will find all the ansers you need.
>>
>> If I remember correctly parted has a built-in alignment check.
>>

> Even the venerable fdisk now properly align partitions, IIRC.
>
> Rgds,

cfdisk is one of the few that don't.