Old 07-19-2012, 04:45 PM
Helmut Jarausch

Default VFAT problem

Hi,

I have a Garmin GPS with a 32GB SD card.
If I attach my device to the USB port, a directory listing looks
totally scrambled.

A listing of the smaller (2GB) 'internal' storage device is just fine.
And I am sure the listing of the bigger SD card has been fine earlier
when less storage was used.

The funny thing, looking at the same SD card from Windows7 (running in
VirtualBox)

gives a perfect listing (about 28 GB are used).

What am I missing?

Many thanks for a hint,
Helmut.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:18 PM
Paul Hartman

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 11:45 AM, Helmut Jarausch
<jarausch@igpm.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a Garmin GPS with a 32GB SD card.
> If I attach my device to the USB port, a directory listing looks totally
> scrambled.
> A listing of the smaller (2GB) 'internal' storage device is just fine.
> And I am sure the listing of the bigger SD card has been fine earlier
> when less storage was used.
>
> The funny thing, looking at the same SD card from Windows7 (running in
> VirtualBox)
> gives a perfect listing (about 28 GB are used).
>
> What am I missing?
>
> Many thanks for a hint,
> Helmut.

My first guess is FAT corruption (maybe windows reads second copy of
FAT?). Maybe try to do chkdsk from windows, or make a backup first
from there anyway.

My second guess is character encoding differences, but usually it
would not be so extreme. I mount vfat with options
codepage=437,iocharset=utf8 and it seems to usually give me proper
results for "international" filenames (although mount warns me every
time that this is unwise).

Old 07-19-2012, 09:20 PM
Mark Knecht

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 9:45 AM, Helmut Jarausch
<jarausch@igpm.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a Garmin GPS with a 32GB SD card.
> If I attach my device to the USB port, a directory listing looks totally
> scrambled.
> A listing of the smaller (2GB) 'internal' storage device is just fine.
> And I am sure the listing of the bigger SD card has been fine earlier
> when less storage was used.
>
> The funny thing, looking at the same SD card from Windows7 (running in
> VirtualBox)
> gives a perfect listing (about 28 GB are used).
>
> What am I missing?
>
> Many thanks for a hint,
> Helmut.

Hi Helmut,
Sorry for the problems. No real good ideas here, but assuming the
Win 7 VM is on the same Gentoo machine then it appears to be something
missing from Gentoo. I'd start by using the Win 7 disk tools:

Control Panel -> System & Security -> Create & format hard disk partitions

and look to see what Win 7 believes it's talking to.

Also, make sure if you have the VM running that it isn't
automatically mounting the Garmin which would make the SD unavailable
to Linux. Handle that in the Virtualbox->Device menu.

Best of luck. Sounds like an interesting problem, if that's possible.

Cheers,
Mark

Old 07-20-2012, 02:28 PM
Simon

This is just a vague idea but maybe it is formated as FATX or exFAT which may be seen like FAT16 or FAT32 on linux, but windows recognises the real fs type?* It's a wild guess...* You could try to reformat it in Linux and try using it after in the GPS to see if it will work.

See here if you're curious:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table#FATX

Simon