Old 07-19-2012, 06:12 PM
Allan Gottlieb

Default mounting samsung galaxy S III (android ics)

On Thu, Jul 19 2012, Neil Bothwick wrote:

> However, I've also found all the mtp options in portage to be unreliable,
> so I run QuickSSHd on the phone and transfer files with scp or mount the
> phone with sshfs.

First let me thank everyone for all the great suggestions. I will be
trying them out.

I started with quicksshd since (I like to believe) I understand ssh.

I have moved a picture and some songs from my laptop to the appropriate
directories on the phone. Currently after I do the sftp using the gnome
file manager (I will try straight scp soon), the picture and songs
didn't appear until I reboot the phone. Is there a better way?

thanks again to all.
allan

Old 07-19-2012, 09:43 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 14:12:38 -0400, Allan Gottlieb wrote:

> I have moved a picture and some songs from my laptop to the appropriate
> directories on the phone. Currently after I do the sftp using the gnome
> file manager (I will try straight scp soon), the picture and songs
> didn't appear until I reboot the phone. Is there a better way?

You need to force a rescan of the media. I'm sure I've seen an option for
this somewhere, but can't find it right now.

--
Neil Bothwick

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity;
and I'm not sure about the the universe."
(Albert Einstein)

Old 07-20-2012, 12:22 AM
Pandu Poluan

On Jul 20, 2012 4:50 AM, "Neil Bothwick" <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 14:12:38 -0400, Allan Gottlieb wrote:

> > I have moved a picture and some songs from my laptop to the appropriate

> > directories on the phone. *Currently after I do the sftp using the gnome

> > file manager (I will try straight scp soon), the picture and songs

> > didn't appear until I reboot the phone. *Is there a better way?

> You need to force a rescan of the media. I'm sure I've seen an option for

> this somewhere, but can't find it right now.

If you install Widgetsoid, one of its myriad of buttons is a button that conveniently triggers the Media Scanner.

Rgds,

Old 07-20-2012, 12:31 AM
Allan Gottlieb

On Thu, Jul 19 2012, Pandu Poluan wrote:

> On Jul 20, 2012 4:50 AM, "Neil Bothwick" <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 14:12:38 -0400, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
>>
>> > I have moved a picture and some songs from my laptop to the appropriate
>> > directories on the phone. Currently after I do the sftp using the gnome
>> > file manager (I will try straight scp soon), the picture and songs
>> > didn't appear until I reboot the phone. Is there a better way?
>>
>> You need to force a rescan of the media. I'm sure I've seen an option for
>> this somewhere, but can't find it right now.
>>

> If you install Widgetsoid, one of its myriad of buttons is a button that
> conveniently triggers the Media Scanner.

Thank you.
allan

Old 07-20-2012, 11:44 AM
Willie WY Wong

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 07:29:57AM +0200, Penguin Lover J. Roeleveld squawked:
> Aside from installing an FTP-server, you can also install "AirDroid", it
> lets you control the phone via a webbrowser over a WIFI-connection.
>
> It lets you backup nearly everything from your phone, including the
> applications you installed. When downloading multiple files at once, it
> zips them first.
>
> I also like the option to transfer the clipboard to/from the phone and
> type text messages (SMS) in a webbrowser to be sent out by the phone.

Wow! New found capabilities for my droid. Thanks!

Old 07-20-2012, 12:27 PM
Aaron Russell

Desksms also lets you send texts form your computer. but uses gtalk i believe.*

Old 07-22-2012, 11:53 PM
Mike Gilbert

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 8:36 PM, Matthew Marlowe
<matt@professionalsysadmin.com> wrote:
>> I did some googling and there are a number of comments but no clear
>> recommendations. Has anyone here performed file transfer
>> gentoo <--> samsung S3.
>>

> You have two choices:
> a) if you just need to transfer video/pictures, there is a
> compatibility mode you can toggle inside android settings to enable
> ptp mode that apps like digikam understand.
> b) if you really want to mount the android fs in gentoo, and transfer
> all types of files, than you'll need to use a tool like mtpfs (eix
> mtpfs for more info).
>
> I tried the mtpfs approach first, but found that was not that reliable
> and switched to the digikam method which has met all my needs.

I have found go-mtpfs to work much better with my Galaxy Nexus.

https://github.com/hanwen/go-mtpfs/

There is no ebuild for it, mostly because I haven't figured out how to
package go programs.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:30 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Sun, 22 Jul 2012 19:53:20 -0400, Mike Gilbert wrote:

> I have found go-mtpfs to work much better with my Galaxy Nexus.
>
> https://github.com/hanwen/go-mtpfs/
>
> There is no ebuild for it, mostly because I haven't figured out how to
> package go programs.

There is also Kies, a Samsung program in the market that does the same
sort of thing as AirDroid. I tried AirDroid a couple of phones ago but
can't remember why I didn't like it.

--
Neil Bothwick

This is as bad as it can get-but don't bet on it.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:12 PM
Pandu Poluan

On Jul 23, 2012 4:36 PM, "Neil Bothwick" <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Jul 2012 19:53:20 -0400, Mike Gilbert wrote:

> > I have found go-mtpfs to work much better with my Galaxy Nexus.

> > https://github.com/hanwen/go-mtpfs/

> > There is no ebuild for it, mostly because I haven't figured out how to

> > package go programs.

> There is also Kies, a Samsung program in the market that does the same

> sort of thing as AirDroid. I tried AirDroid a couple of phones ago but

> can't remember why I didn't like it.

Me, it's the other way around. Can't stand Kies Air, so I changed to AirDroid.

Rgds,

Old 07-23-2012, 01:32 PM
"J. Roeleveld"

On Mon, July 23, 2012 2:12 pm, Pandu Poluan wrote:
> On Jul 23, 2012 4:36 PM, "Neil Bothwick" <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 22 Jul 2012 19:53:20 -0400, Mike Gilbert wrote:
>>
>> > I have found go-mtpfs to work much better with my Galaxy Nexus.
>> >
>> > https://github.com/hanwen/go-mtpfs/
>> >
>> > There is no ebuild for it, mostly because I haven't figured out how to
>> > package go programs.
>>
>> There is also Kies, a Samsung program in the market that does the same
>> sort of thing as AirDroid. I tried AirDroid a couple of phones ago but
>> can't remember why I didn't like it.
>>

> Me, it's the other way around. Can't stand Kies Air, so I changed to
> AirDroid.

Same here, Kies Air doesn't allow multiple files to be selected downloaded
at once, something I find an absolute must when wanting to download the
pictures I took of my daughter playing

--
Joost